And the problems begin.....

fos373

3 race days. 2 real half track days.

Water in the oil. Significant water (coolant) loss. Most likely bad gasket.

I had a low oil pressure warning yesterday during the track day after 3 sessions. Brought it in and let it cool down and checked the oil level and it was fine if a little lighter color than I would have expected. Went out again and on the 1st lap pressure warning came back on. Did an oil and filter change. Oil was dark gray but didn't feel watery. Thought maybe a viscosity or filter issue. Checked the amount that came out and it was 1.6l - same amount that went in.

Raced 2 races today After the 1st race noticed the coolant reservoir was empty and added water. After 2nd race checked the oil and it was very milky and water level had gone down in the overflow. Pulled off the body work and let the bike cool off. Opened up the radiator and it had significant water loss.

Temps here were in the low 90s. Oil and filter were changed before the track day (and were what I would consider a normal "black") and radiator was flushed twice before to remove coolant.

fun. Fun. Fun.

Reading some one other forums about the Duke this is not an uncommon (but really annoying) problem.

No racing Sunday. Bikes going to the shop.

mr-fabricator

Sorry to hear that buddy , I think theirs a real market for a performance gasket set for those of us that want to put the rc around the track .

Theyre so new that things like this are a surprise and catch us out . Give it a year and people will buy a rc day one and replace all the "potentially "weak parts day 2 .

Hopefully your service centre will replace all the gaskets , flush it through and youll be good to go ..

Regards lee

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I will have a thinner head and base gaskets available in a couple weeks. Will work with stock piston but really tailored to my "kit" parts. Let me know if you are in need of some.

fos373

Leakdown done and it wasn't the head gasket. They started it up and could see that it was getting water in but the water pump seal looked good so they pulled the water pump and noticed the inner seal was chewed up. Getting a new gasket fedexed and delivered on Friday so I can race over the weekend.

mr-fabricator

Good news mate , will add water pump to my spares list .

Dont want to gynx anything but my rc hasnt lost a drop of water or used an ounce of oil in 2500k of track and the 1000k run in ( hard run in ) theirs residue over the front of the lower engine but its bugger all realy .

regards lee

=maz=

Country flag
Seems we have fallen victim to this same issue with 1 of ours.

1 track day...is all we got out of it after run-in. :(
Still with the dealer, been a week, now...not happy.

Mlal

LOW OIL PRESSURE !!!!!!!! Urgent

Hello all,
From India.

With great difficulties i own an RC 390 and its been a year since i have bought it and till today i have the love on riding it and have done 30000kms only through the city traffic and one long ride of 2400kms ( Chennai to Pune ). now arises the problem of low oil pressure and the coolant draining drastically. took to the service center changed the head gasket, changed the oil filter and water pump seals and the impeller . took out from service yesterday. and again it shows low oil pressure but now the coolant is not draining and its stable. Please give me some suggestions on this as i am breaking my head on this issue for 2 weeks for now .......!!!!!!!!

stevieboy

Country flag
Just saw a post on Motohouston forum titled "tired of overheating". Said to myself bet that's a KTM. Sure enough a 390 Duke.

tt2013

I will have a thinner head and base gaskets available in a couple weeks. Will work with stock piston but really tailored to my "kit" parts. Let me know if you are in need of some.

HI cjwell. It looks like you might be the right person who answer this question. Do you recommend changing the gasket on the KTM RC 390 for anyone who has future plans on racing the bike before the head gasket goes.

What do you recommend to increase the reliability on these bikes?