big_sur's Race Build

big_sur

The chain stayed together for Round 3 and seems to be doing well enough so that's good for me not dieing and all. Round 3 went well and I picked up a couple thirds and a second. This weekend was at a track I'm not super familiar with so I got some coaching from a visiting motoamerica guy on Friday and dropped 4 seconds getting down to the high 2:05's. Unfortunately, everyone else started destroying the old record too (last year's champs were on Dunlops and have since switched to Pirelli) so Saturday was okay with the third but I wasn't really on pace (mid 2:04s) with the lead pack. Forgot to put gas in the bike like the idiot rookie that I am so I'm staring at the fuel light on the grid. Was moping a bit and didn't focus on the start; ended up catching a massive wheelie and got stuck behind traffic while the front group checked out. Recovered a bit and one guy normally up front crashed out (by running into the back of me) and another KTM self-destructed so miraculously finished third but didn't really feel like I earned that one.

I went to go buy tires Saturday afternoon and they were sold out again. So I've tried to buy tires three times now and two of those times, they didn't have any; killin me :mad: So I ended up switching from a 150 SC1 rear to a 140 SC2 rear since that's all they had and just stuck with my old front since it had some life left. The rear is a little quicker side to side but you definitely feel the lack of meat on the side and have to get off the bike more with the narrower tire. I was about 2.5 seconds off my previous pace adjusting to the new tire in Sunday morning practice but pulled a reasonable qualifying out of my ass and ended up on the front row somehow since most were in the 2:06s.

Got a great start off the front row and ended up leading through the first few turns. That's the first time I've ever led a race so it was kind of weird racing without anyone in sight. Had some good back and forth with the defending champ, which was pretty awesome putting some passes on a motoamerica superstock racer in my third weekend racing, but after the first couple laps, we ran the rest of the race in the mid\low 2:04's, which is the new track record, and I couldn't make a pass happen at that pace. I tried to line him up in the last corner but no luck and ended up 2nd, but just a couple bike lengths behind. This was the first time I've legitimately contested though so it was awesome to get on pace and dice it up at the front, especially at the club's home track where I haven't had a lot of time.

Couple pics from the Sunday race...
IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Bikewise, I'm not really sure how I like the tires or if I just got more comfortable at the track but it does seem like I'm using the whole profile now though which is positive.
2016-06-21%2010.30.41.jpg

2016-06-21%2010.30.52.jpg

The only casualty I noticed after the weekend was the exhaust mounting tab. I'm not dragging the exhaust anymore but it seems like the dragging fatigued it enough to snap. Glad I have friends who weld...
2016-06-21%2010.17.40.jpg

2016-06-21%2010.20.26.jpg

The shiny thing collection is growing..
2016-06-19%2016.30.07.jpg

Last edited:

micahpearlman

Congratulations! You mind elaborating a bit more on the 140 vs 150 SC? I've been running the 150 (in an SC2 compound) and was about to switch out to the 140 because that's what the cool kids are now supposedly running -- though I've had zero to complain about with the 150.

big_sur

Yeah, I didn't really have anything to complain about with the 150 either and honestly I don't really know which one I like better. I did drop a lot of time with the 140 but like I said, that might just be learning the track more. I think there were a few differences that I felt. One, the 140 definitely turns quicker. Like through a chicane or similar, I definitely felt like the bike was quicker to turn in and you can go side to side more quickly than with the 150. The other side to that is it didn't feel as stable either. Tradeoffs. I think that also applies to the limit where I felt like the 150 I can grind everything on the underside of the bike whereas the 140 doesn't like that as much. I mean don't get me wrong, you can get pretty damn low with it, but I felt like I had to get further off the bike to work through that with the 140, which is probably a good thing that it forced me to do since less lean angle=faster. I picked up a 150 SC2 takeoff as a backup so I might try them back to back again if I get a practice day but as of now, I'm thinking I'll probably stick with the 140 since it's less weight, less resistance, turns quicker, and forces better body position even if it is a little less stable.

Few more pics popped up...
13422387_1068884176528245_3657409168731425084_o.jpg

13482933_1068828893200440_8263261985809653221_o.jpg

13498128_1068829159867080_8089513850885173846_o.jpg

micahpearlman

Cool, thanks for the detailed comparison. Probably try the 140 for my next race. I'm working the same to rely less on lean angle and hang off in a more modern style. I don't mind less stable. Mind sharing your pressures off the warmers? I'm currently running 31-26 (SC1 front SC2 150 rear).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big_sur

I believe the 140/70 would also provide a slightly taller gearing, as the profile is slightly taller than the 150/60.

This too!

Cool, thanks for the detailed comparison. Probably try the 140 for my next race. I'm working the same to rely less on lean angle and hang off in a more modern style. I don't mind less stable. Mind sharing your pressures off the warmers? I'm currently running 31-26 (SC1 front SC2 150 rear).

Pressures change with every race and I ask the tire guy, but the front is usually in the 28-31 range and the back somewhere between 24-27.

big_sur

Did a few little things to get ready for next round. First, the straight is shorter in the next round so I went up 2 in the back. The chain was a mm or two too short so I ended up having to find a smaller jam nut. Hello short wheelbase.
2016-06-22%2021.28.22.jpg

2016-06-29%2013.49.49.jpg

Also, I didn't really have any huge complaints about the EBC HH pads, but they're glazed and I wouldn't say they're great; I'm getting some minor brake fade even after switching out for higher quality brake fluid. Anyways, I changed out for the Brembo pads to see if I have any better luck. EBC pads after 3 rounds...
2016-06-22%2022.51.48.jpg

Got the exhaust welded back together and mounted with some neoprene washers this time to see if that helps but I think it may just allow for too much lateral movement; we'll see how it holds up.
2016-06-29%2016.04.29.jpg

Changed the oil and things are looking good. Oil was in good shape and I'm not getting anything in the screens anymore, just some very fine metals on the magnet which is to be expected.
2016-06-29%2016.35.02.jpg

Not sure why the bodywork didn't come with DZUS fasteners but those got added. I've taped over this to prevent accidental release by my foot.
2016-06-29%2017.20.31.jpg

Lastly, I noticed my radiator was getting beat up just at the bottom. I need to get around to making a guard for it but duct tape will have to do if I'm not able to get to it before next round. I haven't had any cooling issues thus far so hopefully the decreased airflow is okay.
2016-06-29%2017.27.10.jpg

2016-06-29%2017.43.31.jpg

micahpearlman

FYI: Keep an eye out for the wear on the Brembo pads. I got about 3-4 weekends out of them. Definitely better pads then the EBC. Also, I still got some fade with the Brembo pads and stock rotor and master cylinder. I switched to the 320 floating rotor and Brembo MC and now don't get any fade.

big_sur

Added a little somethin' just for you
2016-07-01%2008.59.21.jpg

Curious about what's beating it up? debris getting thrown from tire?

Yeah, the plastic guard has a gap between it and the radiator at the bottom. I reworked the tape a little to just stop stuff from coming up through the gap instead of blocking airflow.

FYI: Keep an eye out for the wear on the Brembo pads. I got about 3-4 weekends out of them. Definitely better pads then the EBC. Also, I still got some fade with the Brembo pads and stock rotor and master cylinder. I switched to the 320 floating rotor and Brembo MC and now don't get any fade.

Thanks, good to know. We can't change rotor diameter or MC so I'm kind of stuck there. Hopefully the new pads will help and I ordered some Motul RBF 600 fluid that I'm going to try.

big_sur

That's true, hammer and I did check out last race. Maybe I can make it bigger so you can see it from further back.

I saw your new store opened...
abc.jpg

tecknojoe

Country flag
I cannot describe how infuriating it is to sit out and wait for a warranty while everyone else continues racing up front. Time for a B bike. I'll probly get back on the RC when it's back together, it's definitely a faster bike.

simpletty

Country flag
I know what you mean, Ive missed half our season here almost. Its even worse when the shop cannot diagnose your problems correctly