Blown gaskets. Is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

=maz=

Country flag
If you properly surface/mill the head (ensuring it's STRAIGHT) and check the top of the deck (Chinese mill is all that's usually needed) it will stay together using my gaskets....
Thanks for the reply @cjwell.
With the thinner base gasket supplied with your kit, do I need to use any sort of "goo" or just mount the base gasket and torque it up?

Topaz

Country flag

Nice Article. At the end he recommends changing the coolant for something more efficient so the bike runs cooler, but later, as a side note, he suggests installing a radiator guard.
I've always heard that a rad guard would reduce air flow making the bike runs a bit hotter. I wonder if in the case of the RC it wouldn't be better to stay off the rad guard.

Maybe he got a bit biased by his sponsors?

Another thing I noticed is that I think he got away with just skimming the head, not damage to the cylinder or piston. So maybe the damage to the engine only comes when the gasket has a small leak and let the oil gets contaminated with coolant. But if the gasket blows abruptly and the engine loses compression right away, maybe the engine doesn't suffer.

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD_n0yIzjyI

The guy had a bad gasket and the bike seizes. At the end of the video he shows the damage to engne.

rick

I can't find the reference now and maybe it was just California but, I read somewhere that every day a vehicle spends in the shop on a warranty repairs is supposed to be added to your warranty term. Since the mileage is gonna expire first for me I didn't book mark it. I did mention it to KTM North America on one or our many phone calls and they didn't disagree FWIW.
I found it ...but it is a California law :(

California Civil Code 1793.1(a)(2):
The warranty period will be extended for the number of whole days that the product has been out of the buyer's hands for warranty repairs.

simpletty

Country flag
Warranty

My dealer said and I quote " We dont care if you race it and it blows up. KTM advertises it as ready to race and since that is what they are promoting we will repair the bike no matter what the use is until the warranty expires."
Seems to be the proper attitude about it I think. Ford builds a mustang gtr built for the track. They warranty it if you break it out on the track. Its built for such purpose. I feel if you advertise " ready to race" back your warranty and your machine

=maz=

Country flag
I feel if you advertise " ready to race" back your warranty and your machine

I have recently been in contact with KTM Australia regarding my lack of satisfaction with their products blowing head gaskets and the lack of support offered for racers.
KTM Australia have advised me that they have advised their dealers that any warranty claims with the 390's should be investigated on a case by case basis and racing the bike does NOT automatically void the warranty.
Low KM's, minimal modification...these things will be taken into account during their investigation.

There is hope.

simpletty

Country flag
That's what I'm banking on with mine.

good luck sir!! I hope the results are positive. I"ve been entertaining the idea of when the rc engine breathes its last breath and is no longer repairable to find a ktm sx450 and see if the engine would be able to fit in chassis...obviously just to use it for race purpose only. I remember when the tz guys no longer had enough spares to rebuild the 125's we were throwing in yz80 two strokes and taking them to the mini tracks. But im sure with all the electronics these days a swap of that nature may be a bit much price wise, needing the ecu and harness from the donor bike. I am sure that its possible to do. Anyways hope that you get your machine up and running as soon as possible reenmachine.

wow we are about to buy our second RC390 and use the second as my track bike.

Is it the extended periods at top revs causing these to blow up or something else?

This forum is beginning to scare the hell out of us with all the horror stories.

I'm praying if we get the spal fan, ice and new cap we will be spared this EVER LOOMING threat while riding this bike...

nhenneman

there are some previous threads about what causes it, but I think the consensus is there are milling imperfections in the head from the factory that are exacerbated with excessive heat. My plan is just to not worry, if it blows it blows, and it if does I'll just go with the thin head gasket set.

D

Deleted member 452

20170310_224015.jpg
Thin head gasket on 92 octane caused detonation and the nikasil liner delamination on my bike. I was running a 12.6 AFR and removed some timing under load using my PCV but it was too late. To be fair, there were some other issues with my motor: It looks like the timing chain wandered into the head, cylinder, and block and then recentered itself which flushed a lot of aluminum shavings through my motor over the last 9K miles. It was probably caused by my KTM dealer installing the front timing chain guide incorrectly when replacing the head gasket under warranty @ 5K miles so I had to buy a new motor AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRED last week. I still recommend using the standard thickness Cometic head gasket unless you weigh 100lbs and live in Kansas (flat) or use race gas all the time.

KTManny

View attachment 3634
Thin head gasket on 92 octane caused detonation and the nikasil liner delamination on my bike. I was running a 12.6 AFR and removed some timing under load using my PCV but it was too late. To be fair, there were some other issues with my motor: It looks like the timing chain wandered into the head, cylinder, and block and then recentered itself which flushed a lot of aluminum shavings through my motor over the last 9K miles. It was probably caused by my KTM dealer installing the front timing chain guide incorrectly when replacing the head gasket under warranty @ 5K miles so I had to buy a new motor AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRED last week. I still recommend using the standard thickness Cometic head gasket unless you weigh 100lbs and live in Kansas (flat) or use race gas all the time.

How much was the new motor?

D

Deleted member 452

Found one with only 107 miles on Ebay for $1.3K. Tore it apart a couple days ago and sent the top end to Chad to check cylinder deck flatness, skim the head, and some other goodies. I hated to take a apart an almost new engine but I want to avoid the head gasket blowing at 4.3K miles again.

Koala

Just got off the phone with KTM's warranty department to see if they would reset my warranty after spending 7+ weeks at the dealer to perform the work below. They won't reset the warranty on my little ticking time bomb and they also said they don't warranty bikes that have been raced or modified. That said, my dealer was really cool and he used Chad's head gasket so fingers crossed that it lasts more than 4K miles...

Head gasket @ 4.3K miles
Water pump @ 4.7K miless

I think i may have a water pump issue i drained the coolant and then flushed it with a hose ready for water weter .changed the oil then rode it about 200 yards in first 5000 rpm ish just to warm it up to look at the level hot . The sight glass was full and white looking i now have water in the oil. the old oil had no signs of coolant so it had to be me what was your water pump issue i tried to find it in a search but cant find any details thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 452

My bike didn't overheat when the water pump died but a lot of coolant was in the oil (didn't see any oil in my coolant). It took 3 oil & filter changes after the water pump was replaced to get all the coolant out. The sight glass showed a little condensation 'till after the final oil change and a long ride.

=maz=

Country flag
Water pump seal went on one of ours...then the head went.
When the head gasket has gone I've never seen any oil contamination because the pressure difference forces the coolant into the overflow bottle rather than into the motor.

Koala

thanks for the responds both of you i made it out to watch the race and asked about some of the 390 racers thoughts there dose seem to be a reoccurring head issue if you race them as every one points to that as soon as i said i had water in the oil but it cant believe it is in this case but i will start with the pump as it looks like the cheeper option

Mkinzer126

Reviving this thread... Has anyone had any head issues with 2016 models or the revised KTM cylinder/piston part numbers?