Buying an RC390. Should I wait for the 2016 model?

wetrippy

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum. I did a quick search to see if this has already been answer, but I didn't find anything.

I'm taking my MSF class in 2 weeks, and I'm set on buying a RC390 as soon as I've done so. I'm am curious however if I should wait until spring for the 2016 model to come out. My questions are:

-Do any of the more experienced riders think the 2016 model will have significant improvements in terms of addressing the issues on the 2015 model?
-When exactly do you think the 2016 models will hit dealerships?
-What are the chances that the '16 model will have a significantly more expensive MSRP?

I live in Colorado so the riding season is pretty much year round. Which means I'll be missing 4 months of riding assuming the 2016 models get released in March 2016.

Thanks in advance!!

ArkansasDave

I guess I don't know about your particular area of Colorado but the places I've been the winters aren't good for a new rider to be on the road. If they put salt down don't ride. If there is snow or water on the road don't ride.

2016 is rumored to have a slipper clutch but to me that isn't that big of a deal. What other issues with the '15 do you think need to be solved?

wetrippy

ArkansasDave,

I've heard a few RC owners who claim that their bikes gave out at around 10,000 miles. Engines dying for no apparent reason, some over-heating, vibrations (which I don't mind. I know these are probably few and far between, so I'm not too worried about them. The slipper clutch isn't a big deal to me either.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go with the 2015 model!

micah360

Yeah... I've lived in Colorado (Denver area) for 15 years now and I usually get out to ride a few times per month during the winters. When it snows here, the sun comes out and everything is gone within a couple of days... and all the sun we get here make for some nice, warm days (there's been times when it's 50-60 degrees on Christmas and New Years). People always think Colorado winter's are like the north pole or something... but the weather in this state is amazing. And they don't use salt on the roads here... that's why a car that's lived it's whole life in Colorado is usually always completely rust free. Even the roads in the mountains are usually totally clear and dry... but much colder for sure up there. One thing though is that they do use sand on the roads so you have to always keep an eye out for that... and also the shaded corners tend to hold some snow / ice when the rest of the road might be bone dry.

Have fun... I love my RC. And I have had zero issues with my 2015.

Last edited:

A1VW2NV

Country flag
ArkansasDave,

I've heard a few RC owners who claim that their bikes gave out at around 10,000 miles. Engines dying for no apparent reason, some over-heating, vibrations (which I don't mind. I know these are probably few and far between, so I'm not too worried about them. The slipper clutch isn't a big deal to me either.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go with the 2015 model!
I would like to know how and where you "heard this'? There are only a handful of bikes with 10K.

A1VW2NV

Country flag
I find it interesting that so many of the "issues" mentioned online/in forums with the RC/Duke, are virtually unheard of here, by actual owners. Yes, some owners have experienced problems, but nowhere near the amount of what the "other" forums would lead one to believe. Granted not every 390 owner is a member here, but I bet there are more members than not.

wetrippy

I find it interesting that so many of the "issues" mentioned online/in forums with the RC/Duke, are virtually unheard of here, by actual owners. Yes, some owners have experienced problems, but nowhere near the amount of what the "other" forums would lead one to believe. Granted not every 390 owner is a member here, but I bet there are more members than not.
Yeah agreed. I was encouraged by one user to check out this forum, and I'm glad I did. Feedback from real owners is ultimately what I was looking for so thank you all for the replies.

Treachery

Country flag
I agree with OldVet; I doubt there'll be any significant changes in the bike; perhaps some improved QC... I haven't seen confirmation on any slipper clutch upgrade. As to price, I suspect KTM will stand pat. I have no reason to know this, but the market segment is competitive enough that I bet they take pricing increase cues from one another.

Seth

Country flag
I would wait just so you can have a 2016 model ( Yeah, 1 year newer!) Price? IDK, anyones guess. This is my first bike, totally bitchin. Usually the issues you are hearing are few and far between. Mine has been flawless FWIW.

tecknojoe

Country flag
You should wait for a bit to see if there are any '15 models left over. You can probably get a good deal on a leftover, especially in the winter

wetrippy

Thanks Fasteddy I really like the look of the '16 model. I'm sure some people won't like the elimination of the underbelly exhaust, but I personally like it. I also like the new mirrors.

Does anyone have an idea of when this bike will hit dealers in the US? Although I've been riding dirt bikes for years this will be my first street bike. Every dealer that I talk to says "next month" just to keep me coming back in hopes of catching me on an especially impulsive day, and sending me off with a new R3 ;)