Considering a 390

RC51toRC390

Hi everybody!
So I have begun considering the RC390 for a designated track bike. I currently have a Honda RC51 which is very difficult to find parts for and would rather not worry about finding parts. I am also getting my youngest sister into riding and after she completes her MSF course I want to get her into track riding. I know the bike will be fine for her but how well will it handle me; 6'1", 215#? Thanks in advance for any replies.

zaster

Country flag
The RC51 is a bit of a heavy bike to enjoy around the track anyway.
I just bought the RC for the same reason and to have fun on a short local track located 1/2 hour from my house.
See if you can find some good deals on left over 2015's and be prepared to set up the bike for your size and weight which you would have to do for any bike.
Replace the stock shock, front springs (set up for your weight), front brake pads and possibly the rear sets to accommodate your size.
If you want to get competitive on the track.....happy shopping :cool: BTW, I love my RC390 even though a friend of mine just laid it down
while riding with him on my favorite NM mountain run.

Major

Owned 2 RC51's, hands down my favorite bike. You will definately feel a little cramped sitting on the little RC, as with most things it will come down personal preference and what you are willing to put up with.

RC51toRC390

Thanks for the replies. I already assumed it would be cramped and can deal with it during sessions. I dont think I will take it on any long rides as I plan on keeping the RC51 for that even though it is not ideal for it either. I am planning on going tomorrow to the KTM dealer tomorrow to see if they have any '15s and then planning accordingly.

zaster

Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I already assumed it would be cramped and can deal with it during sessions. I dont think I will take it on any long rides as I plan on keeping the RC51 for that even though it is not ideal for it either. I am planning on going tomorrow to the KTM dealer tomorrow to see if they have any '15s and then planning accordingly.

You might want to check Cycletrader as well: KTM RC 390 Motorcycle for Sale - CycleTrader.com&

ASM

Hi everybody!
So I have begun considering the RC390 for a designated track bike. I currently have a Honda RC51 which is very difficult to find parts for and would rather not worry about finding parts. I am also getting my youngest sister into riding and after she completes her MSF course I want to get her into track riding. I know the bike will be fine for her but how well will it handle me; 6'1", 215#? Thanks in advance for any replies.

My RC390 never got a license plate...track bike from 0 miles. The bike is a blast to ride on the track but for your size/weight I personally would upgrade the suspension. While the stock suspension works somewhat on the street, I wouldn't recommend it for track usage. Having said, if you want to share the bike with your sister and she is way lighter...then setting up the bike for your weight will certainly make it worse for here (and vice-versa)...

The second item I would upgrade for track usage is the brake. Upgrade at least the brake pads (for your convenience: http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/ktm-performance/1470-news-cl-brake-pads-coming.html), and since you will basically fall in love with the track after your first day, I would also consider the 320mm rotor.

Last edited:

RC51toRC390

I plan on having my sister be the primary rider once she is comfortable enough but may get separate forks and shock for my weight anyway. I use my RC51 for the track at the moment but am considering getting the 390 in time for my next one on June 11th. Brakes will probably be the first upgrade so I am on the same page with you there, ASM.
Almost forgot, I stopped by the dealer after work and they do not have a 2015 model left. I think they are asking 5999 for it so should I call around tomorrow and see what I can find or is that price about right?

Last edited:

ASM

Almost forgot, I stopped by the dealer after work and they do not have a 2015 model left. I think they are asking 5999 for it so should I call around tomorrow and see what I can find or is that price about right?

Is that OTD? If not, I almost would say you should call KTM Performance. They have at least one 2016 on the floor and had a sale going on it too last time I was there. Even with shipping the bike to you it still might be cheaper...

RC51toRC390

So I ended up buying the 390 two weeks ago. I tried ordering the 320mm rotor but apparently they are all on backorder. I postponed that for a couple days so I can order the RS15 mc along with it. Also plan on going to the dealership tomorrow and ordering the KTM clutch and ignition covers. Any opinions on those? It really is a fun bike to ride; I cant wait to track it.

Ryanthegreat1

How are the ergonomics between the RC51 and the RC390?

Have always wanted an RC51 and now that my VFR is gone I am looking for another big bike. The VFR felt too stretched out, like the distance between the seat and clipons was excessive.

RC51toRC390

Hmm. I have not ridden the Honda in a while so I will have to do that before I can give you a good answer. But I do recall the RC51 being a bit of a stretch although not much.