Coolant in petrol overflow

Speed addict

Hey guys,
So today I got ten minutes from work, looked down at my petrol tank and there was coolant EVERY where all over my jacket and bike and helmet.

I topped the coolant up and started my ride home tonight, and looked down and noticed that the coolant was escaping from the petrol cap.

does anyone here have any idea why on earth the coolant would be collecting in there?
I have attached a photo.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 317

Metals 907

There is a hose misrouted. Any work done lately? I would guess ,radiator side coolant hot overflow to the fuel cap overflow hose. Trace back the hose from the coolant overflow tank.

Just a guess.

There is a thread somewhere on here with another owner had the same thing - If I remember correctly he explained why the coolant got there - someone on here may remember where the thread wad posted?

big_sur

Under the left side panel, there's a bunch of hoses for tank overflow and emissions crap. Looks like your coolant overflow hose got mixed in and likely hooked up to the tank overflow hose.

Speed addict

Work has not been done on it for over 1500km, and that was just its first service, no one has touched the bike.
i will have to get it into a shop and get it looked at, this is the weirdest thing ever.

Metals 907

How long is your commute? Only thing I can think of would possibly be is, perhaps the bike has never been hot enough to pop the relief on the radiator cap. ( until now ) . I it is the only way possible I can fathom it building enough pressure to spray.

Metals 907

Easy check to see if in fact it is the coolant overflow line would be to pull the hose off the nipple @ the radiator cap and see if the coolant in the gas cap drains out. I'd follow up with a little air blown through to clean out. I would probably drain your remaining fuel and replace it it with fresh petrol. The glycol won't mix with the petrol and will cause you problems if you just run it through.

Speed addict

The commute is about 35 minutes, it happened on an 6 degree Celsius morning, cruising on 100kmh.
i have thrashed this bike in the mountains and not once has something like this happened.

Metals 907

Check your hose routing. The hose/tube from the radiator should route to the coolant overflow catch, the fuel tank vent should route to the charcoal canister ( not sure all the models equipped with this emissions system) , if it isn't equipped with said canister the tank vent just dumps to the ground under the bike.

We can speculate and armchair mechanic this issue to death. Only way to the bottom would be to start by pulling the fairing and tracing back your hoses/ tubing.

Last edited:

Mr Bean

On my bike there is one hose from the coolant overflow and one from the fuel overfill but they both meet at a T piece where they share the same bottom hose. Im thinking perhaps the bottom hose is pinched/blocked which would force the coolant to go up the fuel overfill hose and end up like it has.

It's a stupid design and Ive disconnected the T piece so now it has 2 separate drain hoses

Fasteddy

Country flag
^^^^^^ what Mr. Bean said.....

FWIW...

There are two hoses that go to the fuel tank, one is internal vent for vapor recovery the other is splash / catch overflow located within the cap ring which is where the coolant is coming from. The overflow hose is Y' ed into the over flow hose for the coolant reservoir, not connected to the charcoal can, and the out put of the Y should run down and out the belly pan / lower fairing. That drain hose if kinked or clogged etc. would cause your issue and you may want to ensure your radiator cap can hold at least 1.4 bar of pressure...

Last edited:

Metals 907

Thanks guys. Something preventative to do next time I have my fairing off.
Thank you to the OP for posting this problem. I've yet to see another writeup on this .

Old3

Country flag
It took me about 5 minutes, just pull the rear three fairing bolts and you have enough room to yank it out. I just put the rad vent hose into the fairing panel where .i can see it and it will trap coolant so I'm aware of it and ran the fuel vent down to the bottom where the original drain went.

Unreal. So stupid. Probably cost more to do it wrong by adding in the Y than to use another 12" of hose.

Speed addict

Thanks heaps guys, I'm going to have a play with it now.
on the other hand, should there be this much coolant coming down the drain hose? Just seems like a lot of coolant to be losing.

Al Pal

Waking up another old post but I discovered that below the Y union, the hose then passes behind a plate attached to the side cover, presumably to keep it away from the exhaust. it looks like you have to pull on the hose below the plate as you put the side cover back on otherwise the slack is above the clamping plate and kinks. My hose was kinked shut because of this but no back-flow as it was also pressed against the exhaust and had burnt half way through. Also as you pull down on the hose, thread it in to the bottom hole of the belly pan so it drains clearly. Design is a little poor. I think I'll do the 2 longer hoses and no Y union. I'll also see if i can do something to stop slack hose getting near the exhaust. Don't want fuel overflow splattering on a hot exhaust.

stevieboy

Country flag
Mine was burnt away also. Happened after service to change out a bad fan. Those guys made more trouble than they fixed.