Fishy or not?

Do you smell something fishy here?

• Total voters

harpo

So my engine breaks @ 4800 miles, goes to the shop, they told me KTM is sending me a brand spanking new engine and I get it back with a "new" engine. Engine breaks again, turns out the engine serial number is still the same, so I call the shop, who told me KTM sends them the engine with the engine number part blank and they punch in the serial number. Didn't believe them, called up a bunch of different dealerships and none of them ever heard of anything like that, and told me to call KTM. Called KTM, they told me the engine number should be different, and told me they were going to look into it. They call me back, change the story, and tell me that they sent the new engine with the same serial number as my old one. Still, KTM claims THEY sent the new engine with the old serial #, the dealership claims THEY punched in the old serial number onto the engine that was sent to them with NO markings. What do you think?

I think fraud & KTM is trying to save the dealers ass which is odd because it would have been much easier for them to throw the shop under the bus.

Last edited:

MrGrody

Id go to the shop and have their management contact ktm , all three parties "present" for the call. That'll get things interesting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

=maz=

Country flag
Get things in writing...start to keep a complete diary of all communications with all stakeholders.

Post on their Facebook page, a complete breakdown of the affair...that usually gets a very quick response.

harpo

I've been keeping recordings of our phone calls so that's all good. I've called the owner of the shop and he told me to call the service manager and now they changed the story to align with what KTM told me. It seems that KTM is are the ones who put the old serial number on the new engine. Apparently who ever told me that they punch the numbers in were "talking out of their ass."

I pulled the oil screen and it's clean as hell, and I remember it collecting gunk when I first did the oil change like how a new 390 engine is supposed to.

Chris The Welder

Ask them to show you the old engine with the same serial number. That should be easy enough, if the story is legit. I'm betting they will not be able to.

harpo

I called up KTM and asked them to send me a picture of the old engine, and they called me back saying they don't have the old engine and that the dealership still has it. I told them clearly that I already spoke to my dealership who claimed that they have sent the engine back to KTM a long time ago, and that if they truly didn't receive the old engine back, it's probably sitting in my bike right now. But they managed to get me a picture, kind of surprised. I called my dealership and was basically like wtf you guys told me you don't have my old engine anymore and you sent it back and now you're able to send me this picture...

1. That thing looks cleaner than the engine in my bike.
2. Where is the rest of it?
3. I asked them to just keep it there so I can come in and look at it in person and they say they can't because they're being "pressured" by KTM to send that engine back.

This is how they described the damage:

“The countershaft or the shaft that the front chain sprocket is on, the balls in the bearing, the bearing actually disintegrated and the balls fell out, and when that happened, the balls got all into the motor and it just made a huge mess out of everything.”

“Bearing blew out the transmission took out the cases in the tranny.

Due to defective oil or defective bearing.

When the bearing went, what happened was it caused double engagement in the trans, transmission broke a few gears, blew the bearing apart and it n-shaped the cases where the bearing fits. So everything was pretty much destroyed.”

5OPgonX.jpg