Front Brake caliper Titanium bolts.

kayabusa

Country flag
I'm looking to replace the stock bolts on the front brake caliper for Titanium bolts , Does anyone knows where to find them ? 320 disc version.

Cheers.

GOJO

You could just buy the m10 ones and have them machined down to m8 x1.0, i think i did post some pics of how i did this.

Diploman

This seems like a terrible lot of trouble and expense just to save a few piddling grams of unsprung weight. You could apply the money to many other useful upgrades that would yield a better result, IMO.

kayabusa

Country flag
I agree with you Diploman !! is crazy difficult to find those bolts. In my case I'm not trying to save weight I'm trying to improve the quality of the the bike, where I do see a possible flaw. I never saw so an ugly bolt in a motorcycle ever !!!

BrilliantB8

Hi Brilliant, are you sure about that ? M8 x 70mm Pitch 1.0 is not something that PROBOLT carry. Can you send me the link of what you have please ?

Just from the RC390 section on the Pro Bolt USA website. Direct replacement for the OEM bolts. I also have the 320mm rotor but why does that matter?

kayabusa

Country flag
I called Pro Bolt, they do not have them. Here are the correct specs:
[FONT=&quot]size: M8 x 70 mm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Head size: 10mm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pitch: 1.0[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thread length: 30mm[/FONT]

BrilliantB8

This is my bad, lol. I just re-read the post and realized you are talking about the caliper bolts. For some reason I first read it as rotor bolts....

That is correct, I haven't been able to find them for the caliper unfortunately. Just drilled and safety wired the ones that came with the 320mm rotor kit.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just to remind folks, before starting Formula390, I was a Machine Shop. I can honestly say I HATE threading titanium, but I can knock out that part, or whatever else you may need machining for. :)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
OK, so just to update everyone. I've had two folks express interest in this (Leandro and Maddog Reynolds) and have an estimate put together for making the custom bolts. The basic costs are materials (plus material shipping) for some 1/2" titanium round bar stock billet. It's easier and cheaper to make the bolts from round stock than machining an existing bolt and having paid someone to have previously machined said bolt to then be turned into a different bolt. There is some tooling cost, as cutting threads on titanium requires some special geometry and needs a specialty cutter. Plus the labor to actually make said bolts, which is estimated that it will take me about 23 minutes per bolt to face, turn down, thread, cutoff, mount in a 5C collet, make the head, and drill for safety wire.

So what's the cost... well, it breaks down to a cost of ~$63.91 per bolt. The labor is the kicker. If more members are interested, costs will go down, as the shippin cost of the material and tooling costs could then be distributed across the whole run. So it might be less. This would be for a custom M8 x 70mm x 1.0 bolt, which will be drilled for safety wire.

If anyone else is interested, speak up, and we can get a group buy organized so I only have to do one production run.

M8 x 70 x 1.0 Titanium.jpg

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
If this is the real design (without a flanged head) then we should allow a wee bit extra length for a flat washer :)

To make them with the flange would have required going up to 3/4" stock. Titanium AIN'T cheap, and that's a lot of material that would have just been turned into chips, so I made a cost vs EXACT replica call. Figured a stainless washer under would have been acceptable if it meant 2/3 the material cost. I'm planning on using .500 grade 5 6Al-4V material.

Maddog Reynolds

That makes perfect sense. No need for waste. If I get the chance I'll check how many threads engagement we'd have with 70mm. Chances are a flat washer will leave plenty of thread engaged.

isaac_

The parts fiche online says this bolt is 60mm long. Why are there references to 70mm here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk