fuel pump not priming

morssolis

I started bike for first time in a few weeks and instead of the whining noise the fuel pump makes after turning ignition on, it made a noise like it was having trouble turning. The battery was low on power. I put a new battery in, but the bike will not start. I do not believe the pump is priming at all now, as I do not hear the whining like I use to.

So besides first replacing the fuel pump, what else could this be? Is there a way to test the relay, power to the pump, or the pump itself?

The self diagnosis does nothing. No blinking of any kind.

There is a relay clicking when ignition is turned on. I imagine this is the fuel pump relay?

Last edited:

Maddog Reynolds

Obvious questions I guess, but:
1/ is the replacement battery holding good voltage as you turn on the ignition?
2/ Are the connections good and clean?

After that, consider removibg and cleaning contacts on all the fuses and relays (one by one, to be sure they go back in the right place).

green_bread

Country flag
Like Maddog said, check your voltages - even with the new battery. Outside of that, if the fuel pump isnt priming, I would suspect a blown fuse, maybe? The fuse panel is in the battery box on top of the bike, so it shouldnt be difficult to check.

Fasteddy

Country flag
FYI, Fuel pump relay should be second one from the front, fuse is F3, 3rd from front, and you should be able to measure fairly low resistance at the 4 pin connector from the tank side between the black / yellow wire and the orange / blue wire...

morssolis

I tested the fuel pump relay. It is working. There is a 4 prong connector going to the fuel pump. I am getting 5 or 6 volts across two of the prongs. Does that sound right?

Last edited:

morssolis

The voltage I am getting at the connector going to the fuel pump does not increase and then decrease when you turn on the ignition. I know the fuel pump is supposed to prime at ignition on. I would think that the priming is caused by a higher initial voltage?

morssolis

I checked the relay socket. It gets 12v after turning on ignition, the relay clicks shut, and then voltage drops to 8v and the relay opens again. That seems correct.

I directly wired a battery to the fuel pump. You can hear it turning, but its very quite. It does not make that loud noise you hear when it primes. I had one battery on the bike to start it and another on the fuel pump, and still nothing.

I am getting spark. Checked that since I had the tank off.

All fuses are good and there is connectivity between 3 of the 4 prongs going to fuel pump and the frame.

Last edited:

Fasteddy

Country flag
No, you should see battery voltage / 12 volts at the fuel pump on between the black / yellow wire and the orange / blue wire, for a short duration for the prime and then once the engine is cranking or started, the lower voltage is the reference for the fuel gauge sender.

The relay should have the same voltage on both sides of the contacts, red with white stripe wire is 12 volts from fuse, orange / blue stripe is to the pump.

Yellow / black wire is ground, 12 volt negative - Green / Red stripe is fuel gauge level.

Last edited:

morssolis

I will retest test the voltage going to the pump. If i directly wire the battery to the pump (orange blue wire and yellow black wire), it should run and pump gas out of the fuel line correct?

Fasteddy

Country flag
I will retest test the voltage going to the pump. If i directly wire the battery to the pump (orange blue wire and yellow black wire), it should run and pump gas out of the fuel line correct?

Yes, but a safer way to check would be to connect every thing as it should be and then measure the voltage between the two wires at the plug when you switch the kill switch on / off while the ignition is on.

Just jumping battery to things can have very bad results and I do not recommend it.

Another test that would give the same result as what you propose with better results would be to remove the fuel pump relay and jump across the switch contacts, you will have to determine which plugs in the socket go to the red / white and orange /blue wires but at least you will be working with a fused circuit.

Also all the brown relays are the same part so you may just try swapping the pump relay with another as a quick test.

morssolis

Retested . I have no voltage to the orange blue wire on pump side of relay. Only 5.2v to the green red. I also just got a high coolant tempature error, even though the bike has not bee started.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Retested . I have no voltage to the orange blue wire on pump side of relay. Only 5.2v to the green red. I also just got a high coolant tempature error, even though the bike has not bee started.

The "5.2v to the green red." is the fuel gauge wire so 5 volts is normal for that, it is connected to both the ECU and the instrument cluster so " directly wire the battery " will blow things up...

It's time to stop and take it to someone who can troubleshoot the issue.

morssolis

I did not wire the battery into anything on the side of the ecu. The battery I have been using dropped to 5v, which I hope is what caused the temperature warning.

Appreciate the help though.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I did not wire the battery into anything on the side of the ecu. The battery I have been using dropped to 5v, which I hope is what caused the temperature warning.

Appreciate the help though.

Good, the low voltage will cause all kinds of issues, sent ya a PM...

morssolis

I jumped the relay and now I have 12v at the pump orange blue wire!!! So the circuit is not closing somewhere between the relay itself and the relay circuit. But other relays are not working either, so I suspect its the relay socket.

morssolis

I took the pump out and the problem was pretty clear. Some house or tube or something in the pump turned to putty / melted. Probably from 105 degrees in Texas + the sun sitting outside.

cazh

What was the issue? Im having exactly the same problem. I want to have a sense as to what the problem is so the dealer doesnt charge me 10 hours at 90dlls an hour to diagnose issue. Any ideas?

Batery is good other than that the bike acts like if it had no gasoline, couldbe relay or fuse or fuel pump

forgedPistons

Country flag
Guys, i have the same issue, the pump is priming but very vaguely. can barely hear it. the fuses are all fine. i did try to start the bike on very low fuel for few times, is that what caused it?