WannaGoFast

Okay. So.

Since I bought the bike I've had problems with the bike starting. I put the side stand up, and the bike registers that it's up on the display, however when I press the ignition button nothing happens at all. No sound, no attempt to turn over, nothing.

Usually I have been able to resolve this by putting the stand up and down a few times, running the ignition sequence a few times and finally it will work. I pointed this out at my first service and my dealer not so helpfully mentioned that they couldn't find an issue.... I rode it home that day and figured id'd put up with it. I should have pressed the issue but I didn't.

Today, no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to start. I decided to make an attempt to tighten the bolts around the stand area as I've heard loosening has been a contributing factor. I wondered if the bolt wasn't closing the circuit.

I went to tighten the brass bolt with the magnet inside... The one that closes the circuit and allows the bike to run, and with minimal torque it snapped right off. Now I'm really screwed. I was able to essentially duct tape it back on for now as a temporary fix, but the bike still wont start, despite it recognizing the stand being up on the display... Wtf do I do now.... I've been looking at videos to attempt to bypass the side stand sensor entirely, but I'm not certain how on my 2017 model...

Anyone have a similar issue or an idea on how to fix this? I'm moving tomorrow, and the bike needs to move as well.

Thanks in advance.

reenmachine

Country flag
Something not functioning properly on a new bike under warranty is the dealer's responsibility. Now that you broke the part it's on you to pay for the replacement, but they should still own the underlying problem.

You can search the forum for the technique people use to bypass the switch altogether (for those removing the kickstand for track bikes) to get by, but for a street bike you want the switch to function as intended.

I would do what you have to do to get through your move then take the bike back to the dealer. Tell them you'll pay for the part you broke, but that you wouldn't have even touched it if the bike had been functioning properly and that you expect the problem to be resolved. I wouldn't be super hopeful if they're the type of dealer to have avoided addressing the problem in the first place, but it's not your responsibility to troubleshoot a new vehicle.

simpletty

Country flag
Okay. So.

Since I bought the bike I've had problems with the bike starting. I put the side stand up, and the bike registers that it's up on the display, however when I press the ignition button nothing happens at all. No sound, no attempt to turn over, nothing.

Usually I have been able to resolve this by putting the stand up and down a few times, running the ignition sequence a few times and finally it will work. I pointed this out at my first service and my dealer not so helpfully mentioned that they couldn't find an issue.... I rode it home that day and figured id'd put up with it. I should have pressed the issue but I didn't.

Today, no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to start. I decided to make an attempt to tighten the bolts around the stand area as I've heard loosening has been a contributing factor. I wondered if the bolt wasn't closing the circuit.

I went to tighten the brass bolt with the magnet inside... The one that closes the circuit and allows the bike to run, and with minimal torque it snapped right off. Now I'm really screwed. I was able to essentially duct tape it back on for now as a temporary fix, but the bike still wont start, despite it recognizing the stand being up on the display... Wtf do I do now.... I've been looking at videos to attempt to bypass the side stand sensor entirely, but I'm not certain how on my 2017 model...

Anyone have a similar issue or an idea on how to fix this? I'm moving tomorrow, and the bike needs to move as well.

Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue back when bike was around the 300 mile mark. Sidestand always registered down no matter what and the bike would not start. Dealer had bike for a month, replaced sidestand switch, did not work. Replaced the coolant temp sensor, did not work. The replaced the ECU and it has been fine since, going on three years now.

WannaGoFast

Ended up calling the dealership on the morning of my move and explained the problem. Requested that they send someone to come pick the bike up, and they did right away. It's now at the shop, waiting for them to contact me and let me know what the story is I guess. Luckily I've documented all the issues I've had with the bike since purchase through email with the sales guy. Hoping for a fully functional bike soon.