High coolant temp. and rc is dead

Birendra Rana

Hi. Pls.
I don't know, what i have to do.
One month ago, my bike during ride suddenly turn off. And from this day, always, when i turn on bike, my bike show this "in attachment".
description my problem: when i turn on bike, bike is quiet. relays make not snapping and fuel pump are not make noise and bike do not want to run.
thanks very much.

Diploman

From the description of your problem, it sounds as though you had an overheating incident that made the bike's software put it into shutdown mode. This may have been accompanied by an electrical malfunction that caused a short circuit and blew a fuse. Check your fusebox and replace any blown fuse(s). Very likely your overheating episode was linked to a malfunction of the stock cooling fan. The 2015-2016 390's have been plagued by both mechanical and electrical failures of the redesigned-for-2015 shrouded fan. Rather than replacing the fan with the same type (which is just as likely to fail) the best solution is to fit a SPAL 5.2inch puller fan. Many 390 owners in North America have fit the SPAL fan after having problems with the stock fan. The SPAL works efficiently and reliably.

If you are unable to resolve the electrical problem yourself, then you should take the bike to a dealer.

TennisFreak

From the description of your problem, it sounds as though you had an overheating incident that made the bike's software put it into shutdown mode. This may have been accompanied by an electrical malfunction that caused a short circuit and blew a fuse. Check your fusebox and replace any blown fuse(s). Very likely your overheating episode was linked to a malfunction of the stock cooling fan. The 2015-2016 390's have been plagued by both mechanical and electrical failures of the redesigned-for-2015 shrouded fan. Rather than replacing the fan with the same type (which is just as likely to fail) the best solution is to fit a SPAL 5.2inch puller fan. Many 390 owners in North America have fit the SPAL fan after having problems with the stock fan. The SPAL works efficiently and reliably.

If you are unable to resolve the electrical problem yourself, then you should take the bike to a dealer.

Thanks for the heads up Diploman.

Would this be the correct fan to buy? 5.2 Inch Cooling Fan (Pull) by SPAL - 30103011

If not could you put up the part number or perhaps a link to it?

Rexbo

Country flag
Fun times, I'm having this problem now and can confirm 100% confidence that it did not follow an overheating event. As in, the bike has been sitting in the garage for 4 months, and I start it once a month just to keep things moving. Go to start it this past weekend and it give the "Coolant Over Temperature" message on-screen and won't start.

Time to go troubleshooting and/or replacing parts.

Diploman

Rexbo, I suggest you try re-setting/re-booting the ECU. Disconnect the black ground/earth cable from your bike's battery, leave it disconnected for 15 minutes or more, then reconnect and try starting. Worth a try. The ECU may be stuck in some protective mode.

Maddog Reynolds

If a 15-minute reset doesn't work, I'd suggest looking for a broken or shorted wire between sensor and ECU (I'm guessing a short, but I haven't checked my sensor with a DMM at different temps, yet).

Fasteddy

Country flag
there is a thread from where I tested the temp sensor mounted on the rear of the cylinder, IIRC, an open circuit would cause this condition.

Maddog Reynolds

there is a thread from where I tested the temp sensor mounted on the rear of the cylinder, IIRC, an open circuit would cause this condition.

I was working on the bike today, so I removed the connector for the temperarure sender at the back of the barrel. The fan started immediately upon starting a cold engine, but there was no high temp message and the temp gauge was reading cold. Is there another sender?

Fasteddy

Country flag
No, The sender gives a variable resistance to the ECU and the ECU then controls the fan through a relay. There is a thread somewhere with the results from a test I did.

Maddog Reynolds

No, The sender gives a variable resistance to the ECU and the ECU then controls the fan through a relay. There is a thread somewhere with the results from a test I did.

Interesting that the fan ran when the sensor was disconnected, but the temperature gauge stayed at cold and there was no warning message on screen.

Fasteddy

Country flag
The voltage representing temp also goes to the combo instrument cluster for the temp gauge.

Yellow / Black wire to sensor is +5 VDC from ECU, Green / Red wire from sensor is voltage representing temperature and goes to pin 11 on ECU & pin 4 on Combo instrument. The 5 volt source also feeds MAF/ IAT, side stand sensor and TPS.

Last edited:

Maddog Reynolds

That's what I mean. If disconnected runs the fan, then at first guess I'd expect it to give a high temperature reading on the display, plus any overheat warnings it can give.

So it seems to me we can't explain the symptoms in the OP with a break in the sensor circuit.