How do you launch?

isaac_

Seriously. This race weekend went well in that I didn’t crash but for the life of me I couldn’t launch the bike.

What are you revving to?

How much clutch are you feeding it after you start going?

I looped my bike last year because my clutch doesn’t have s really good feel and I soon as I let out the lever I went airborne. Kind of feels like an on/off switch.

green_bread

Country flag
I like to stand on my rear brake lever and right before the 1 board goes sideways, I start to drag the clutch a little bit until I feel the rear end start to squat. Soon as the flag is thrown, I dump the clutch and let off the brake. This is the only way Ive found for myself to get a good start. If I try to launch without the brake, I either bog it down too much or end up popping a wheelie as soon as I try to take off.

I've always had to lean far forward on my tank while revving a bit high and feathering the clutch to the bite point. After a bunch of practices, I kinda used the clutch as the wheelie control once the lights go out.

Green_bread, I've never thought of using the rear brake. I want to try that out now. Thanks for the idea.

I start similar to thunderrun53, I also run a quickshifter and GP shift so once the front end starts coming up at the high end of 1st gear I shift to second bringing the front end down slowly. This has worked well for me and I'm usually first through third into turn one. Having a bit of a motocross background helps as well.

green_bread

Country flag
Green_bread, I've never thought of using the rear brake. I want to try that out now. Thanks for the idea.

Ive said too much!!! Haha! Giving away secrets to the competition!

I REALLLLLLY want to get down to Hallett for a CMRA event and run ULWGP with you guys. I did the 6hr endurance on the G-Baby SV650 last year and had a huge amount of fun, but Im pretty sure I hold the little bike lap record at Hallett on my RC (1:27.2), so I would really like to run some sprints with you guys, there!

We are just doing endurance this year and we are using 3 different makes and models of bikes, so you never know what you're going to get. We will be at Hallett though. 1:27.2 is the benchmark...got it.

Sorry to hijack your thread Isaac. I'm done. There are a ton of drag race videos of guys on street bikes. You might get some ideas from the "run whatcha brung" drag racers.

isaac_

Rear brake?! I’ve always used the front brake. Similar procedure to you, green_bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isaac_

I wonder what the benefit of using the rear brake is over the front. Hm.

isaac_

I’m going to have to try this out. I like to have my right leg down and left leg on the rearset. It will take some adjusting.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Flag raises I go to 7500 rpm tuck my two outside fingers under the clutch lever and feed it out to friction zone while holding front brake. Flag drops I hold rpm at 7500 and feed clutch in for about 1- 1.5 seconds, full release full throttle quickshift to control the wheelie. It typically beats Snaggletooth so it must work ok.

Flag raises I go to 7500 rpm tuck my two outside fingers under the clutch lever and feed it out to friction zone while holding front brake. Flag drops I hold rpm at 7500 and feed clutch in for about 1- 1.5 seconds, full release full throttle quickshift to control the wheelie. It typically beats Snaggletooth so it must work ok.

Well of course you will with power on me but I run the same rev range and clutch release. That new clutch had more grip then I was used to, lets see who gets the holeshot next round!