How many miles + problems thread

EnergyHOU

I don't believe I saw this anywhere other than hidden away in the Duke 390 forum. I thought I'd add it here so we can see where we're at. Simply put, the idea is to state your mileage and mention any problems you've encountered thus far. Label issues putting your RC out of commission until fixed separately. It'll be interesting to see if and at what mileage people are experiencing issues, both critical or minor. I personally am very curious to see the 10K+ milers out there make a post.

I have 3,030 miles as of this weekend. Other than my first service downtime and a morning involving hooking up the battery to a box to start up the bike I have had no problems.

D3signer

Country flag
I'm at 1500 and my neutral light does not work. Kickstand was loose which was tighten but did not solve the issue. Other motorcycle forums are saying it's the neutral switch. I'll be sending it back to the dealer soon.

rick

@ ~2,500 miles my exhaust cam de-laminated. Took about two months to fix under warranty. Up to 4,500 miles now and counting.

OldVet

7,049 miles for me to date. Other than most bolts coming loose (which I check often) no real problems here... Oh and the stock chain in junk, replaced it at 6,500 miles mol...

Rexbo

Country flag
200 street miles, 100 race miles:
- Tons of metal shavings/paint/crap in the oil filters the first two oil changes.
- ECU throwing error codes occasionally at ignition on, needs to be power cycled to reset.
- Radiator fan makes god awful noise while running
- 5th to 6th gear has difficulty shifting under race conditions
- Swingarm bushings not lubed
- Injector harness connector did not retain to plug (just slipped right off injector!)

CAZHEREDIA

Changed rear tire at 5,000 miles, got new tire on amazon for 50% off what South bay MSRP said.

at 6,600 miles yesterday and the bike suddenly sounded louder, thought something was loose with the intake and took it to the dealer. It appears the noise comes from the engine and they requested to keep it over night and see what the problem is. Hopefully everything is under warranty, not sure! I use it as a commuter bike so I've been racking up the miles. Got it about 8 months ago and have had no issues until yesterday.

Hoping for the best, also the guy said the chain was loose so I need to get a new chain.

Last edited:

OldVet

also the guy said the chain was loose so I need to get a new chain.

Not necessarily maybe just adjusted, although my oem chain was toast at 6K. Whatever you do don’t put another oem chain on spend the money for a good chain and it will go 30K or more.

EnergyHOU

@ ~2,500 miles my exhaust cam de-laminated. Took about two months to fix under warranty. Up to 4,500 miles now and counting.

I just read your story, wow... Sounded like an adventure but glad to hear it got sorted out.

rick

the guy said the chain was loose so I need to get a new chain.

That's kind of an odd thing for the guy to say. "Loose" would normally just mean it needs to be adjusted. The owner's manual calls for checking chain tension every 4,650 miles (Page 73) and the process is covered in section 12.11 Checking Chain Tension (Page 85). If the chain has stretched beyond your adjustment range, or has too many kinks, or what have you then it may be time for a new chain. Generally you want to replace the chain and sprockets as a set.

I just read your story, wow... Sounded like an adventure but glad to hear it got sorted out.

Thank you! As rude as the dealer was, the main thing that bugged me was the two months it took. Still, it seems to be running well now. 5,000 miles an counting.. :)

Last edited:

DCMoney

Country flag
Bike 1 ~300 miles, Chad caught it when I sent the head in, no inner valve spring... bad parts replaced...

Bike 2 ~650 miles, rocker getting torn up.

Both bikes are strictly race bikes.

KTM covered all parts.

tecknojoe

Country flag
Bike 1 ~300 miles, Chad caught it when I sent the head in, no inner valve spring... bad parts replaced...

Bike 2 ~650 miles, rocker getting torn up.

Both bikes are strictly race bikes.

KTM covered all parts.

Is he able to get engine parts? My local tuner said he bought an R3 because he would be unable to rebuild the head / etc due to unavailability for 390 engine parts.

ASM

Is he able to get engine parts? My local tuner said he bought an R3 because he would be unable to rebuild the head / etc due to unavailability for 390 engine parts.

In general, he sure is. He might even get you better parts too... :cool:

Give Commonwealth Motorcycles a call and ask for Amanda...she can tell you availability, price etc..

hamishl

Country flag
~4,600km here, no major problems, but one weird issue...

About 200km past the first service I went to start the bike up one morning, and it was dead. Turn the key, nothing, no dash, no lights, dead. I thought it couldn't have been a flat battery because the ignition key is attached to the key I needed to open the garage I was storing the bike in, so I couldn't have left anything on, and had been using it nearly daily. My local dealer couldn't pick it up for four days, and sure enough, when I wheeled it out so they could collect it that morning, it fired up straight away. Still got them to take it away but they couldn't find anything wrong.

The following week (Monday before Christmas) I rode it to work, got 100m from the car park on my way home, and it died. Appeared to be the same issue Luckily, I only had to wait a couple of days for the dealer to be able to pick it up this time, and when they collected it, it luckily still wasn't working, so when they checked everything they had more luck tracking down the fault. Turned out to be a coating on the battery terminals; once they used some emery cloth to remove it, the bike fired up and hasn't missed a beat since. I assume the coating prevented the battery from charging properly, so it slowly died over the first month or so I had the bike, then after it died the first time the battery recovered enough over 4 days to start up. Not sure who gets the blame, but if you're having any trouble with your electrics, may be worth looking at.

reenmachine

Country flag
~4,600km here, no major problems, but one weird issue...

About 200km past the first service I went to start the bike up one morning, and it was dead. Turn the key, nothing, no dash, no lights, dead. I thought it couldn't have been a flat battery because the ignition key is attached to the key I needed to open the garage I was storing the bike in, so I couldn't have left anything on, and had been using it nearly daily. My local dealer couldn't pick it up for four days, and sure enough, when I wheeled it out so they could collect it that morning, it fired up straight away. Still got them to take it away but they couldn't find anything wrong.

The following week (Monday before Christmas) I rode it to work, got 100m from the car park on my way home, and it died. Appeared to be the same issue Luckily, I only had to wait a couple of days for the dealer to be able to pick it up this time, and when they collected it, it luckily still wasn't working, so when they checked everything they had more luck tracking down the fault. Turned out to be a coating on the battery terminals; once they used some emery cloth to remove it, the bike fired up and hasn't missed a beat since. I assume the coating prevented the battery from charging properly, so it slowly died over the first month or so I had the bike, then after it died the first time the battery recovered enough over 4 days to start up. Not sure who gets the blame, but if you're having any trouble with your electrics, may be worth looking at.

I'd still be a bit skeptical that that was your issue. Once the bike it running you don't need it at all, in fact, you could remove it altogether and the bike would stay running, so I don't see how that could have caused your 2nd episode.

hamishl

Country flag
I'd still be a bit skeptical that that was your issue.

Yeah, the more I've thought about it the more it seems unlikely. But I remember now that it originally occurred the day after I rode it in heavy rain for the first and basically only time - I got caught out by changing weather. When I turned it on and it was dead the first time there was what looked like steam or smoke coming out of the front of the battery box. Maybe it will recur if I get caught in a heavy downpour again

rc_Guy

I got 930 miles on mine. Did my own oil change a 100 miles ago. It's in the shop (dropped off last Friday) for the rest of the 1st service check ups, including the valve adjustment. As for warranty stuff I had them look at the gear indicator and condensation in the gauge cluster. The gear indicator shows all gears when selected while riding or at a stop, but gear # 3 doesn't show up, it's blank. I've seen #3 lit up before and then now it doesn't. Service guy says the condensation behind the cluster is normal, I disagree with him and I said please have it look at and get KTM's opinion on it as a warranty issue. My 1 year warranty is over at the end of May. So I hope to get as much of the gremlins sorted out before it's over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ShinySideUp

5k miles on mine. daily driven commuter bike. The throttle cable snapped on me. at about 2-3k. The gear indicator does not show 5th gear anymore when hot. the bike has been at the dealer for a couple weeks for a no start issue. I suspect a head gasket issue because it was overheating the night before it did this. and was low on coolant but i did not see any leaks. still under warranty so i took it to the dealer. they're claiming the no start is due to a valve adjustment being needed and the over heating issue is separate. I'm kind of annoyed at this point. specially since the valve adjustment was done at the first service and its supposed to be a 9k mile interval. That and because they can't figure out the overheating issue. oh and the stator cover gasket is leaking. they supposedly filed a claim with ktm to repair it under warranty. I hope it gets taken care of when the other issues are addressed.

Last edited:

EnergyHOU

Lots of interesting issues reported thus far, thanks to everyone posting. In my opinion a thread like this is key so that you know to look for specific things at specific mileage or in general.