Loud clacking from motor

s30series

This is turning into a nightmare, the dealership is saying the titanium retainers were destroyed so I'll need a new set of those. Still no word on what KTM will say, but they still wanna take the motor apart which leads me to suspect they think the valves are destroyed as well. I can only imagine how much the end bill is going to look, all I wanted was a light weight motorcycle that I can enjoy for years to come, instead I've wound up with a money pit.

I just dont understand, I thought I did everything right. I never skimped or cut corners to get the bike to where it is today. In 3,600 miles and under a year of ownership I've changed the oil, replaced all screens, and filters with OEM KTM parts and Motorex oil. I've upgraded the radiator and fan assembly to the 2019 parts, replaced the cheap green coolant with the KTM recommended Motorex pink stuff. Every nut and bolt has been meticulously torqued to spec. Yet now it sits at the dealership racking up a costly repair bill that might end up being more expensive that just buying a new bike.

Everyone told me to stick with Yamaha or Kawasaki, but I wanted something different. Hindsight is 20-20.

LOL- I live about 5 minutes away from MMS in Marietta- see my thread:
https://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/e...de-blown-rc390-engine-happened.html#post31305

Put the bike up on Craigslist bud and stick with Yamaha/Honda

Tom

Hello all, this will be my final post on this forum.

Mountain Motorsports came through for me. They gave me nearly 2 hours of labor for free to repair the bike. If I stuck with repairing the bike, I would have only been out around $260 which is very reasonable for the amount of work they did to pull the retainers and swap in the top end kit that I decided to go with.

That being said, I also went with the 4600 mile maint. and had them install the rekluse clutch. Total labor was $1400. The rekluse clutch was amazing!!! Words can't describe how cool it is to not worry about letting the revs drop too low in a gear, and being able to get moving without having to use the clutch. Such a cool mod, and I honestly think anyone who drives in traffic would really appreciate one.

On the way back from the dealer, the skies opened up with one of the fairly common sun showers we have here in Georgia. If you've never experienced one, it's the equivalent of thunderstorm volumes of rain but the sky is bright and sunny. They come out of no where, and there's nothing that can be done to predict them. At any rate, after making a left turn, the lady in front of me slammed her brakes for god knows why. I tried to avoid her, but wasnt fast enough. The left handle bar clipped the back of her SUV, and sent me sliding behind the bike.

The police put me at fault for following too closely, and with the parts and labor I put into the bike during it's time at the shop, I am out roughly $2,600. With the exhaust, power commander, O2 commander, tidy tail, and LED blinker replacements I have installed over the past year, I am out of a significant chunk of money on top of what this last bill was... But I still have my life.

You can take it for what you want, but this experience opened my eyes to just how dangerous the unpredictability of other drivers makes riding. I'm sad as hell to have only been able to enjoy such a fun piece of machinery for such a short while, but I have too much to lose to swing a leg over another bike. In a perfect world, bikes can be as safe as you make them, but the reality is that bikes are only as safe as the drivers around you are.

Thanks all for the help along the way with my build, and I hope I was able to return the help to a few of you.

Last edited:

=maz=

Country flag
In a perfect world people learn how to ride a bike.

First it was the brands fault then it was the drivers.

You received an expensive lesson...not as expensive as it could've been but expensive none the less.
What experience do you have that made the reclusive clutch seem like a necessary addition to the bike?
How will you, "...return the help to a few of you." if you are not going to post on the forum again?