MotoAmerica KTM RC Cup to be replaced in 2018

isaac_

what is your reading of this? is it because its been succesful or is it the opposite?

*Pure speculation*... I'd guess the racers have been dealing with reliability issues just like many of us common folks. I would think MotoAmerica is tired of hearing that and gave up. But rather than calling it quits they're letting others in. What I think will happen is more people join the junior ranks. Perhaps that mom/dad team couldn't get the funding to switch to a KTM but have a reliable Ninja300 or R3.

Andy

Country flag
The RC Cup has been really popular across the globe, however could there be a change to bring things in line with the WSS 300 series.

Worst thing is a change could see the RC390 dropped completely, it wasn't chosen for use in WSS 300 although KTM did suggest they would enter later.

green_bread

Country flag
I agree with what Andy said. Probably to get in line with WSS 300. Just need to make sure the rules keep the playing field level. WSS has implemented minimum weight restrictions, rev limit restrictions, etc.

Andy

Country flag
I agree with what Andy said. Probably to get in line with WSS 300. Just need to make sure the rules keep the playing field level. WSS has implemented minimum weight restrictions, rev limit restrictions, etc.

If you were another manufacturer you'd want to get in on the act, remember bike racing sells road bikes. That's why I bought a YZF750 back in the day and also why I got a RC390!

Looked at the R3 and it's a cracking little bike, WSS300 backs that up, may pick one up to out alongside the RC if I ever fall out of love with KTM!

Treachery

Country flag
This'll be interesting to follow. Suppose KTM would downsize the RC to fit the displacement limits in WSS3?

Treachery

Country flag
Yeah, shows what I know. Having sorry a** Spectrum cable, I haven't had a roadrace on TV in a couple of years. And I've been a lazy fan, so I guess I thought that 300 Supersport meant 300 Supersport, not "300" Supersport.

Carry on...

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I actually just checked the rules on the FIM page, and the RC390 is actually CROSSED OUT in the machine eligibility section. I don't know what to make of that. It looks like the rest of the document also has a bunch of revisions to it, and they seem to be indicating that crossed out sections are a revision where that wording is being removed. If you look on page 165 in the 2.7.2 page, that's where you can see that the RC390 has been crossed out and the text for the RC390 is red.

This is taken from the FIM website at:
Regulations and documents: FIM Website

Here's the URL to the FIM rules off of the FIM page:
http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/download/63677/no_cache/1/

There are four bikes listed:
Honda CBR500R
Kawasaki Ninja 300 (EX300ADF)
Yamaha YZF-R3
KTM RC390

Only the RC is crossed out / excluded... Or maybe I'm understanding the strike through and color as it relates to the document.