New Member HERE!!

KVA.36

Just recently bought a 2017 RC390 for my wife's first bike. After riding it around for a few hours this past weekend I can see subtle changes that I would like to make for comfort & performance. I was really impressed with how damn light the bike felt. I was never really into street bikes until now. I race Moto, and never really had a desire to ride on the street, UNTIL now. Even considering getting the same bike for myself now.

What are options for Suspension tuning?

What are options for ECU, Exhaust & Intake?
have a k&n on the way
Heard of a
COOBER ECU???

Ergo options? (she already asked for a softer seat)

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Looking forward to hearing the responses

Chuditch

Hi and welcome. Plenty of options for suspension, ECU and Exhaust/intake mods. Do a bit of a search and you will find that the sponsors of this site have all that stuff.

mattv

Country flag
Regarding the softer seat, KTM makes a "comfort" seat. It definitely is more comfortable, but something I really don't like about it is that the material is grippy, which makes it hard to shift around. I went back to the stock seat for now, but would like to get the comfort seat reupholstered.

Since it's her first bike, I'd hold off on dumping a bunch of money into exhaust, ecu, suspension, etc. Just ride the shit out of it and see if she likes it. My 2¢.

KVA.36

Thanks Mattv!
2 Cents appreciated!

The suspension mods are a must on this bike. I ride it also, and there is no confidence in this stuff. To me, It makes no sense for her to learn with inferior equipment. Safety is my priority, and I didnt not feel safe on this over 75+mph, and thats with the proper sag set up for myself.

mattv

Country flag
Good point about the suspension. I have a JRi from Formula 390 I'm going to put on this weekend. I definitely do NOT feel planted in the corners with the stock shock.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Welcome to the fold KVA! I can help you out with suspension for sure! You'll want to look at the JRi most likely. Depending on what year your bike is, and if you hold onto the stock exhaust, you may also be able to do the R6 shock swap. If you wanted to go with the R6 shock swap setup and have a 2017 you have to swap out the exhaust. I have two exhaust options as well. You can check out the offerings over at Formula390 but I'll warn ya'... there's Carbon Fiber to drool over as well in them thar parts!!! ;)

Andy

Country flag
I got a Rapid Bike Evo and it makes such a difference!

Bit of a pain to fit it but worth it.

KVA.36

Suspension would be the first thing to address. I am looking to go the route of the R6 rear shock. I have a suspension company that I work with for all of my bikes (On & Off road) that will revalve and dial in the rear shock. As that would require some attention to the Front Forks, would getting the correct spring rate be the first step to accomplish balance?

As far the exhaust goes, none of those options would be a consideration for me. I will not consider the consider high rear outlet as an option. IMO it looks hideous covering up the rear subframe. For using the R6 rear shock would the TYGA header, w/ WERKS comp de-cat eliminator work for a fitment?

I really like the 2015-2016 under belly outlet for an exhaust. The look is perfect and keeps the bike really looking like a MotoGP bike, IMO.

maybe I am spinning around with my tail on this but I can keep dreaming til it becomes reality.

Ever heard of the Coober EU?

mattv

Country flag
Never heard of the Coober ECU. Most people go with a Power Commander. Chad Wells of KTM Performance/Commonwealth Motorcycles (cjwells on the forum) sounds like he's done a ton of work tuning the 390 with the power commander, so you might ask him if they're available for the 2017.

I went with a powertronic ECU; I'm happy with it (with a quickshifter weeee!)

For the exhaust, I'm using the race yoshi:
http://www.ktmperformance.com/yoshimura-slip-on-exhaust-for-390-2017.html

Very happy with that as well.

KVA.36

I am going to stay away from the power commander setup. Quickshift is not a priority for me. I prefer to have something one off and exotic rather than what everyone else is running. I have been in contact with COOBER.EU about their product and I am excited to give it a try seeing that no one on the forum has any info. Hopefully drop some new blood into the water and have more options.

CDN Duke

Country flag
I am going to stay away from the power commander setup. Quickshift is not a priority for me. I prefer to have something one off and exotic rather than what everyone else is running. I have been in contact with COOBER.EU about their product and I am excited to give it a try seeing that no one on the forum has any info. Hopefully drop some new blood into the water and have more options.

There's some decent discussion on the Coober option here:

https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/ktm-duke-general-discussion/42937-performance-ecu.html
https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/new-members-introduction/30730-coober-eu-hi.html

simpletty

Country flag
Not a whole lot of meat to digest in any of thoe posts, just a lot of talk. Post up some real dyno charts to back up the talk and maybe some interest would happen. Seems like this is just another piggyback ecu for the everyday road bike and has no-tuneablity by the end user.