New parts! Shift kit

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
If anyone needs install help let me via PM or see Gbaby's post about the install. Inner hub nut is LEFT HANDED THREAD!!!!!!! Torque is 120 N/M.

Chad

Last edited:

Muckabucka

Country flag
I initially tried breaker bar and clutch holding tool, and could not get it to budge. Fired up the compressor, and used the air impact no problem.
If you're manually trying to bust it loose, you might have issues...

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I initially tried breaker bar and clutch holding tool, and could not get it to budge. Fired up the compressor, and used the air impact no problem.
If you're manually trying to bust it loose, you might have issues...
Ditto. Impact it loose, torque by hand properly on install, with blue loctite.

This modification is worth it. Spent yesterday testing on the bike. It definitely improves the feel, but still, this transmission does want you to be deliberate with your shifts. If you are sloppy or don't pay attention to the shift linkage adjustments; you will still have an occasional miss shift. I found with a light clutch bump - good every time now. I was running out of a turn on to a long straight and wanted to streamline more moving my left arm to my back. I needed to clutchless shift. By simply loading the lever a bit - no problems. Yes glad I bought it.

DCMoney

Country flag
Finally got the time to install the new shift kit. Noticeable and measurable difference.

This install was very straight forward, probably spend 30-45 minutes total.

Before I removed the stock parts I measured the pull in pounds required to shift the bike in gear with my trigger pull gauge, was consistently at 7.5 pounds. Unfortunately my trigger pull gauge only goes to 8 pounds so, after the install it measured more than 8 pounds... If I can find my fish scale I'll try to get a reading off it.

The modification is worth it.

Old3

Country flag
Is there a link to instructions? Im waiting for my kit to be delivered and jus wanted to get a look at the job.

Thanks!

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Is there a link to instructions? Im waiting for my kit to be delivered and jus wanted to get a look at the job.

Thanks!

No, I never published any instructions. Pretty straight forward like any other shift kit install. If you need help please call or PM me. Remove clutch cover, pressure plate, clutch pack. Remove inner hub nut (LEFTHAND THREAD). Remove inner hub and outer basket. Disconnect shift arm from shift shaft, slide shift shaft out of cases. Now you can replace the shift detent and spring. NOTE the order of spacers, thrust washers, bevel washers, etc along the way. You will need a universal inner hub holding tool and torque wrench. Torque on hub nut is 120 N/m. Clean shaft and nut, blue loctite.

Old3

Country flag
Note the two washers on the arm pivot bolt, and two locating dowels in the side cover. I laid the bike over and supported it by a strap on an auto lift arm. Didnt spill a drop, but i almost lost a dowel and that tiny washer so watch them carefully! They can fall into the trans if its laid over.

Otherwise, pretty typical install. Nice to have the new gasket cause these arent as good as Austrian KTMs. Mine tore in three places trying to save it in case.

Shifting is nice and firm now, great upgrade. I doubt
Ill be missing shifts now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 452

Just installed this (and I also have a Saito aluminum short shift kit). slops gone, doesn't get hung up between gears, minimal effort increase, and no hunting for neutral : )

CDN Duke

Country flag
Have just ordered this... had a few missed shifts and what felt like bike pulling out of gear at last trackday. I've since installed Dynojet quick shifter and looking at this Factory Pro to be the final piece of the puzzle.

Edwardp33

Country flag
Big fan of this shift kit. Was occasionally missing shifts and getting false neutrals. I only ride on the track these days and this kit, besides giving me the confidence that I won’t misss a shift, it allows me to not waste attention on the shifting process. Even with GP shift I was distracted by making sure I pushed hard enough to be extra sure not to get a false neutral. I went from about 5% false neutrals to 0%, and have additional brain cycles to focus on the important parts of riding. Installation is really easy, I needed to buy clutch tool on Amazon for under $20 and of course Chad and Commonwealth was a great help.