PCV on sale now!

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Stock with filter and pipe..i will assume with the akra ecu flash.

Sorry I lots of data, I want to be sure I answer your question correctly. "Stock" engine with k&n filter and akra, on akra map? Or previous combo properly tuned with PCV, or bone stock out of crate? I have LOTS of data. Most is posted in my gallery, or PCV testing thread.

dobr

Oh yeah!!! Now for the install!
b8afc0f0413e18dc857ce65c6c1d4fce.jpg

rc_orange45

Was curious do the pcv come already mapped for an exhaust and air box delete with k&n or do i have to let you know whats on the bike? Also is dealer flashed with akra map required before installing pcv? I live in California and most dealers don't want to reflash road bikes with race pipes(akra)

Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Was curious do the pcv come already mapped for an exhaust and air box delete with k&n or do i have to let you know whats on the bike? Also is dealer flashed with akra map required before installing pcv? I live in California and most dealers don't want to reflash road bikes with race pipes(akra)

Yes it will come loaded with what ever map you like to suit your combo. My Pcv map for exh, k&n, lid mod is built over the akra flash too. Just shoot me a PM of your mods if you order one from us and I'll get you set up. It doesn't have to have the akra flash but the rev limiter is bumped 250 rpm (not that you couldn't do with rev xtend in Pcv) but it also lets you remove evap canister and seloniod.

kings4thecup

i have a question and sorry if its a noob question. I went to Beverly Hills Ducati yesterday to have them refresh my ECU with the newest Akra map...long story short error messages kept unloading and they weren't able to accomplish the reflash. IDK if this has anything to do with living in california but, by getting the PCV will i be able to reflash my ECU? IDK anyone who has been able to reflash their RC in CA

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
i have a question and sorry if its a noob question. I went to Beverly Hills Ducati yesterday to have them refresh my ECU with the newest Akra map...long story short error messages kept unloading and they weren't able to accomplish the reflash. IDK if this has anything to do with living in california but, by getting the PCV will i be able to reflash my ECU? IDK anyone who has been able to reflash their RC in CA

The flash problem is on their end. They probably didn't read message on screen, ktm updated their software. If batt voltage is below 13 v you can't flash. You need a power supply to put on bike not a tender/charger. There is some guys on here that are in Ca that have had flash done. The Pcv is a piggy back, to trim fueling. The Pcv will not allow you to reflash the ecu two totally different items. The Pcv will make it run better though. The akra flash is not a must be a good place to start and most of my maps are built over it.

kings4thecup

The flash problem is on their end. They probably didn't read message on screen, ktm updated their software. If batt voltage is below 13 v you can't flash. You need a power supply to put on bike not a tender/charger. There is some guys on here that are in Ca that have had flash done. The Pcv is a piggy back, to trim fueling. The Pcv will not allow you to reflash the ecu two totally different items. The Pcv will make it run better though. The akra flash is not a must be a good place to start and most of my maps are built over it.

I just called and they said it was about 13v so I don't know what the issues are..anyone from out of state with a reflash could you PM me with the info on where you got it done so I can call them and ask them how they did it please?

A big thank you to Chad and the team for all the help and information regarding the PCV -I did not hesitate to purchase from these guys knowing that the unit will arrive pre- mapped to suit my mods - I wasted allot of money purchasing a inferior product by another manufacturer - So my advice is purchase Once and purchase from the real tuner - Thanks Chad

CDN Duke

Country flag
Shout out to Chad and Cody at Commonwealth Motorcycles aka KTM Performance. Other than install error where I inadvertently pinched the fuel line and caused starvation, the PCV with custom tune for Akra map, airbox lid and DNA filter works excellent.

PCV was shipped promptly to me here in Canada and is a huge upgrade on the bike.

thanks again!

CDN Duke

Country flag
Extremely pleased with my PCV - have a new exhaust now and going to load Chad's map for the Akra pipe...

I'm curious to know if there is an 'economy' map available? Not sure I'd really want one but the option to have a safe and more fuel economical mode available is of interest. I've just learned it's very simple to install a basic switch to toggle between 2 maps loaded on the PCV.

So, my questions,

1. does KTM Performance have an 'Eco' map available and
2. can you switch on the fly with the engine running or do you need to shut off the motor, flip the switch and restart the bike?

CDN Duke

Country flag
Why wouldn't you go with the autotune wideband option instead?

For my scenario? I'd like two distinct options, one for economy when desired and regular full power mode for the rest of the time. How would autotune help me for that?

isaac_

I believe that with the dynojet map switch you can just flip it -- simple as that w/o having to restart the bike. That being said I had one and never did that as my maps on that bike were for two distinct fuels so that would have been bad in my case.

For my scenario? I'd like two distinct options, one for economy when desired and regular full power mode for the rest of the time. How would autotune help me for that?

CDN Duke

Country flag
I believe that with the dynojet map switch you can just flip it -- simple as that w/o having to restart the bike. That being said I had one and never did that as my maps on that bike were for two distinct fuels so that would have been bad in my case.

Yeah, been doing some more reading and seems like the switch can definitely be flipped on the fly. Should be able to easily put one together for less than $10.

I normally run 91 octane which is readily available,but not sure if there's enough advantage to have a different map for 94 octane which can be found at various pumps around here?

I do think an econo mode might have more value to me though. So far, the bike does seem to be a bit on the thirsty side but that's probably more from me being on the gas and enjoying it than anything else per se. I can always throttle it back as needed.

isaac_

Yeah, been doing some more reading and seems like the switch can definitely be flipped on the fly. Should be able to easily put one together for less than $10.

I normally run 91 octane which is readily available,but not sure if there's enough advantage to have a different map for 94 octane which can be found at various pumps around here?

I do think an econo mode might have more value to me though. So far, the bike does seem to be a bit on the thirsty side but that's probably more from me being on the gas and enjoying it than anything else per se. I can always throttle it back as needed.

Are you racing? Is it a built KTM? If the answer is no to both of these questions, you're fine staying at 91. Hell... if it's just a street bike I'd run 87. Gas is expensive. There's no advantage to going higher octane fuel if a bike isn't built. I'd argue you can maybe do more harm than good. (granted a 94 v 91 isn't a huge difference).

Treachery

Country flag
I will confess to incomplete knowledge, but (aside from staying in a Holiday Inn Express at some point) I do have a PCV with two maps installed on a different bike. You need a waterproof A/B switch and a place to mount it. You need to mark the switch as to which position is which. Trust me, it's easier to forget than you think, unless the switch is clearly marked. The instructions are pretty clear as to how to wire it up to swap between the maps. On the bike I'm speaking of, "off" defaults to zero, leaving the stock fuel map. I use that one for highway droning/MPG. The "on" map is programmed (again, for that bike) for smoother throttle transitions, and matching the slipons I've fitted. Having said that, I would suspect that the KTM stock map would function much the same. As lean as this bike is reputed to run, I don't know that I'd want to go any leaner in search of a couple MPGs.

YMMV.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Are you racing? Is it a built KTM? If the answer is no to both of these questions, you're fine staying at 91. Hell... if it's just a street bike I'd run 87. Gas is expensive. There's no advantage to going higher octane fuel if a bike isn't built. I'd argue you can maybe do more harm than good. (granted a 94 v 91 isn't a huge difference).

No, not racing, nor is the engine modded, all stock internals. I just remember from Audi and Subaru tuning references that there was often option available for higher octane fuel, not just for race fuel.

I will confess to incomplete knowledge, but (aside from staying in a Holiday Inn Express at some point) I do have a PCV with two maps installed on a different bike. You need a waterproof A/B switch and a place to mount it. You need to mark the switch as to which position is which. Trust me, it's easier to forget than you think, unless the switch is clearly marked. The instructions are pretty clear as to how to wire it up to swap between the maps. On the bike I'm speaking of, "off" defaults to zero, leaving the stock fuel map. I use that one for highway droning/MPG. The "on" map is programmed (again, for that bike) for smoother throttle transitions, and matching the slipons I've fitted. Having said that, I would suspect that the KTM stock map would function much the same. As lean as this bike is reputed to run, I don't know that I'd want to go any leaner in search of a couple MPGs.

YMMV.

Yah, I think I'm realizing that I've already got an econo mode switch built in with my right wrist :rolleyes:. Don't really want to go leaner as we all recognize the inherent risks with that...

At this point, I think it's probably most useful for comparing two maps without having to reflash the PCV. I'd like to do some datalogging using the OBDII bluetooth connector and Torque Pro app to compare AFR between one of Chad's maps and a map I'm expecting from Competition Werkes that was developed while tuning for their pipe. More of a convenience thing. I don't expect I would want to switch back and forth much on a regular basis, more of a set it and forget it type of thing, but the convenience of just flipping the switch to do so is attractive. At $50 for the switch, I'd pass, but seeing that it's just a SPST switch that just needs wires inserted into the PCV, I can make that for cheap and enjoy the convenience.