Power surge/chop when rolling onto throttle

daneo

Hi All,

I haven't been on here in a year-- trying to get out and actually ride the thing! I have one major complaint that I'm trying to track down the best solution to. When going from closed throttle and rolling on, there is a very sensitive turnover point where the engine goes from braking to on-power. This is particularly frustrating when entering a corner and trying to apply smooth throttle as the bike can buck up and down as power chops in and out. Once past the chop point, everything is fine.

It seems like some others are experiencing this but there's no consensus on how to fix it. I'm trying to keep the fix economical and not interested in doing any other fancy tunable stuff. I mostly commute on the thing. I'm in California-- so that probably limits my options. I'm interested in getting a quick throttle, but that would probably make the problem worse as the transition point would be even a smaller degree of throttle.

Please help! Thanks!

daneo

The opposite! The off-throttle chop I have is present at all RPM. I shift down to second around town and the downshift makes the engine brake/engine surge more prominent. If I do turns in third gear, the surge/chop is less noticeable because of the gearing, but then I just murmur out of the corner instead of taking off

octaneguy

It takes some practice to get smooth at this. Get some track time in and you'll get a lot of practice. One of the best mods I've done that helped alleviate this is the Power Commander V and Quick Shift option where I can upshift without releasing the throttle--leave it WOT and just upshift...no clutch, no rolling off gas.

Hi All,

I haven't been on here in a year-- trying to get out and actually ride the thing! I have one major complaint that I'm trying to track down the best solution to. When going from closed throttle and rolling on, there is a very sensitive turnover point where the engine goes from braking to on-power. This is particularly frustrating when entering a corner and trying to apply smooth throttle as the bike can buck up and down as power chops in and out. Once past the chop point, everything is fine.

It seems like some others are experiencing this but there's no consensus on how to fix it. I'm trying to keep the fix economical and not interested in doing any other fancy tunable stuff. I mostly commute on the thing. I'm in California-- so that probably limits my options. I'm interested in getting a quick throttle, but that would probably make the problem worse as the transition point would be even a smaller degree of throttle.

Please help! Thanks!

OldVet

Yeah you may have an issue with fuel mapping. My bike is stock with no surging, maybe all you need is to get your mapping checked?

I see two possible actions to solve this issue :
To rework the ignition timing map (but this is not easy without good tools and conditions
To use a more progressive grip in order that the first degrees of rotation pulls only slightly the cable, then higher openning open faster the throttle. This a is mod I've done on KTM 990 Adventure, but the impact is not so important.