Race bike bogging and stalling on corner exit when low in RPM's. Thoughts?

mdabyo

Country flag
I finally got out to race the bike today and it felt great until about 1/2 way into the race when it nearly highsided me when it bogged down and seems to stall on corner exit. I was down low in the revs and coming onto the gas pretty heavy and then the bike just gave up and bogged down and i think stalled out. A second later it picked back up and took off but not before trying to throw me. It was very hot here today and humid. It happened probably 10 more times as i finished out the race. even on the straights with the bike up an down.

Thoughts? I have a PCV with Chads map but I have been lazy and have yet to get it into the shop for the Akra map on the main exu, think this alone would cause it? Could it be a bad fuel filter? any other thoughts? I will have the bike to the shop tomorrow for the map as i should ahve gotten that done, but i am a little worried about it as i barely stayed on when it tried to throw me.

Any help or thoughts would be great!

-Jason

green_bread

Country flag
Ive never had this happen to me. My first thought would be to check all of the electrical/ground connections with the PCV. Was the dash resetting when it bogged down on you like the bike turned off/back on or did the rev's just stall out on you?

mdabyo

Country flag
I don't think it turned off on me, so don't think it was a reset, but i was trying to keep my eyes up and stay on the bike so may have missed it if the dash flashed, but it def did not go through the dash startup procedure again.

i think it bogged down in low revs and hiccuped. it could have just been the revs stalling it out, but i have never had that happen on a bike before. I am having shift issues that i am a little too fast for 2nd in the corner (hit limiter) so have to take 3 and am pretty low in the rpm for 3rd pulling up the hill out of the corner.

I have the bike at the shop today getting the KTM Akra map put into it. then when i get it back i will tear it down and check all the ground wires to make sure they are all tight and check all the plugs and wiring on the PCV

green_bread

Country flag
Hope you get it figured out, man! I hate intermittent issues like that because they are always a pain to track down. If you think of any other info, let us know and Ill keep brainstorming with you. :)

mdabyo

Country flag
ya it sucks, i did 3 test days and the bike ran like a top! and of course lap 4 of the race she acts up.. BAH! lol. It really feels like a fuel issue for me, so ground is a good idea to check first. Initially in the race i thought it may have been the tip sensor kicking in but then it happened with the bike upright. it was a super weird feeling and came really close to a nasty highside because of it. fingers crossed i can get it sorted.

GOJO

Mine did this last week just like someone switched it off 1st time, 2nd time it was a uphill 5th gear corner it did it going to full throttle on a on couple of laps if i closed and opened it quick it was ok next time it fully did it sure engine management came on , pcv and other mods and a chad base map, the engines just been out so im hoping its a connection . Hoping its not the pcv as its a track bike and too many mods to try it without pcv

mdabyo

Country flag
well atleast its not just me, let me know if you find anything and i will do the same. do you have the akra map in yours?

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
This may sound stupid but make sure your spark plug is fully seated with a rubber isolator on it. We are having all kinds of similar issues and its always the plug cap.

mdabyo

Country flag
well let me know if you figure it out GOJO, my bike will be in the shop for a few days to get the KTM akra flash done as they are just trying to squeeze me in. so i wont get to tear into it till next week probably. I really hope it is soemthing simple. I hate trying to track down gremlins like this esp since it makes the bike sketchy to ride and its hard to push 110% if you are always worried it may crap out and buck you off.

mdabyo

Country flag
fingers crossed i found my issue. the plug on my throttle body was not seated correctly and clipped. Just the rubber was holding it in place. so it could have easily been vibrating loose and losing connections and causing the bike to cut out!

I have a track day next week when i will know more. fingers crossed though.

-J

isaac_

Ah... yes. The idle air control switch. Mine was unplugged for a long time and the bike would cut it during a hard downshift or at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

streetfighter

I had the same intermittent power lost issue last weekend, and turned out the engine was over heating. I believe the head gasket was blown

mdabyo

Country flag
:( i just changed the oil and coolant and it looked good.. fingers crossed its not a head gasket, it is happens again next week on a track day i will have to tear it down. ug. stupid KTM and your crappy heads. lol.

isaac_

:( i just changed the oil and coolant and it looked good.. fingers crossed its not a head gasket, it is happens again next week on a track day i will have to tear it down. ug. stupid KTM and your crappy heads. lol.

If the oil is not latte like it's likely not an issue.

isaac_

Also, I suggest you zip tie the IAC to the throttle body so it doesn't vibrate lose!

mdabyo

Country flag
well i wont say the oil was perfect, it had 300V in it and i find its the worst oil to tell if its milky as it gets pretty dark very quickly. I don't think it was milky, it just looks like a muddy green, so fingers crossed..

That is a good plan to zip it. i will do that for sure.

isaac_

well i wont say the oil was perfect, it had 300V in it and i find its the worst oil to tell if its milky as it gets pretty dark very quickly. I don't think it was milky, it just looks like a muddy green, so fingers crossed..

That is a good plan to zip it. i will do that for sure.

Also use 300v myself. Always comes out dark.