Race Tech Spring Install

zaster

Country flag
Just finished installing several mods on the RC but hesitated on getting started with the fork springs.
Race Tech only supplies generic installation instructions and I couldn't find anything meaningful on YouTube.
Anyone willing to post RC 390 specific instructions?

cornerslider

Just finished installing several mods on the RC but hesitated on getting started with the fork springs.
Race Tech only supplies generic installation instructions and I couldn't find anything meaningful on YouTube.
Anyone willing to post RC 390 specific instructions?

I'm changing my spacers tomorrow morning (for the third time).... I will post detailed guidance soon-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bagwell

Country flag
It isnt like any of the standard conventional or many USD forks. The springs are under a screw cap with a lot of locktight on it and located in the fork lowers. I did the Andreani cartridges with springs about a month or 5 weeks ago. They seem to work GREAT, but they were quite interesting to install. It can be done, but its just not a conventional install.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
It's really not a big deal, so long as you've disassembled forks before. If it's your first foray into forks, as Bagwell stated the key is to pay heed to the threadlocker on the lower caps. You'll have to head that part up with a propane torch to just over too hot to touch, but not like it has to get smoking hot. Anything upwards of 225F should do it easily. Once you have the caps off, the springs come out easy and you can drop your new springs and spacers in. For your spacer lenght, you'll basically take the stock variable rate spring length (343mm) + the stock spacer length (7.5mm) == 350.5 and subtract your new spring length. Then, whatever is left, is a good starting point for your new spacer length. I usually do steps of about 2.5mm for adding or removing spacer length to dial in the sag. Depending on your weight and springs your are using, would determine how much or if I would recommend starting from a different spacer length with starting with slightly less or slightly more spacer... plan on probably needing to get back in there at least once to get your sag dialed in perfectly. Once you've gotten that all sorted out, your spacers cut, and installed... then put threadlock back on the caps (I use BLUE on reassembly, RED is way overkill!) and reassemble in reverse. Depending on your weight, you'll also likely want to upgrade to something like a nice 7w fork oil. The stock 4w that comes in it is seriously inadequate.