RC390 fails to start

forgedPistons

Country flag
Hi, today my RC390 suddenly shuts down on a ride and the temp gauge went all the way to zero. I tried cranking it but fails to start. I let the bike cool down and tried to start it, after a big struggle it starts and idles fine. but when i release the clutch it goes off. there was also heavy fuel smell during the starting failure. what could be the issue. there is fuel, and battery is fine.

simpletty

Country flag
Have you performed basic checks? Coolant level, oil level ect? Does the bike move in nuetral. Can you put the bike in gear when it is not running, hold the clutch in and move it? More information is needed. You cant call the doctor and say "I dont feel good" and expect him to tell you whats wrong without and exam...so as much information that you can provide may help someone give you a direction to go in.

forgedPistons

Country flag
Have you performed basic checks? Coolant level, oil level ect? Does the bike move in nuetral. Can you put the bike in gear when it is not running, hold the clutch in and move it? More information is needed. You cant call the doctor and say "I dont feel good" and expect him to tell you whats wrong without and exam...so as much information that you can provide may help someone give you a direction to go in.

well the bike starts if it sits for 30 minutes and cools down, but running fine in neutral but once i engage a gear and released the clutch it goes off. if it goes off then it needs to cool down before i can even start it. the temperature sensor is dead i guess, it shows no bars in the instrument cluster.

any idea?

airazen

Country flag
check any fuses close to the battery, also check any connectors, it might be loosen up a bit...

did you measure the battery’s voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simpletty

Country flag
You haven’t even answered anything I asked. It’s hard to offer an answer when you can’t provide “basic” information. New idea is take it to a motorcycle repair shop because it’s apparent you have little understanding of mechanics. There is no “magic” button or a “hey it definitely is this” answer. Again...does the bike have engine coolant? Can you push the bike if it’s In gear and you pull the clutch in? Does it have the correct amount of engine oil? If you can’t answer these questions you are better off taking it to a professional instead of poking around for answers here. My crystal ball is broken.

i hope you get my point,

well the bike starts if it sits for 30 minutes and cools down, but running fine in neutral but once i engage a gear and released the clutch it goes off. if it goes off then it needs to cool down before i can even start it. the temperature sensor is dead i guess, it shows no bars in the instrument cluster.

any idea?

forgedPistons

Country flag
You haven’t even answered anything I asked. It’s hard to offer an answer when you can’t provide “basic” information. New idea is take it to a motorcycle repair shop because it’s apparent you have little understanding of mechanics. There is no “magic” button or a “hey it definitely is this” answer. Again...does the bike have engine coolant? Can you push the bike if it’s In gear and you pull the clutch in? Does it have the correct amount of engine oil? If you can’t answer these questions you are better off taking it to a professional instead of poking around for answers here. My crystal ball is broken.

i hope you get my point,
the

hi man, i have checked all the think you said above. the coolant is above minimum mark, there is right amount of engine oil , battery if fine, the bike moves in neutral, and i can move to gears.
Today i had it checked with KTM Service Centre and they did a OBD Scan and found side stand and crank sensor error codes which prevents the bike from starting. they have cleared it but the crank sensor error came back.
Now its with the service centre and they said i have to change crank(because once it was flooded, i had it repaired by an local mechanic) and they said the crank calibration was wrong hence it is generating the error codes.
But the local mechanic never opened the engine and gearbox. i hope i have answered all the questions. now can anyone find what might be the issue?

simpletty

Country flag
With a faulty side stand senosr, the bike will immediately shut down when its put into gear. This is a saftey thing so you dont go driving away with the kickstand lowered and have a mishap. More than likely the sensor is bad and they will replace it. As far as the crank sensor code goes, could be a number of things, sensor, trigger wheel on the crank, ect ect. So best to have it at the shop where the ktm mechanics work rather than with someone unfamiliar with it

forgedPistons

Country flag
With a faulty side stand senosr, the bike will immediately shut down when its put into gear. This is a saftey thing so you dont go driving away with the kickstand lowered and have a mishap. More than likely the sensor is bad and they will replace it. As far as the crank sensor code goes, could be a number of things, sensor, trigger wheel on the crank, ect ect. So best to have it at the shop where the ktm mechanics work rather than with someone unfamiliar with it

the guys at ktm here doesnt know a thing. I'm relying on forums like these to get some knowledge. how can the crank fly wheel go wrong if its not opened? and any way can we fix a faulty wiring without replacing?

simpletty

Country flag
I’m doubting there is a crank issue. Does the dash say “side stand down” even when it’s up? Mine did that at one point and they replaced the sensor under warranty. What did the other mechanic actually repair when it was flooded?? Highly unlikely that it would even start at all if there were crank sensor issues

John390

I don't have much bike specific tech knowledge, but I am a long time red seal auto service tech and do diagnosis on cars all the time.

IF this was a car, and I saw this I would be looking at the engine coolant temp sensor. These are classic symptoms of a bad coolant temp sensor or the wiring to the PCM associated with that sensor. If the sensor sticks at a low temp, the PCM dumps tons of fuel in, to enrich it at cold starts.

You say it starts fine when cold, but is horrid when its hot? also, you say when it starts it runs very poorly for a while and smells badly of raw gas? this is classic coolant temp sensor symptoms on a modern fuel injected car.

If you have access to the scan tool, or can ask to see things when the KTM guy has his scantool connected, look at the PID for the coolant temp sensor, and the intake air temp sensor. If the coolant temp sensor says -45 and its 20 out, that will be a clear sign. if its been sitting for a few hours, the intake air temps and coolant temp should be very close to the same.

again, not a bike tech, but its not a bad place to start

again, not a bike tech.