RC390 Race build

mdabyo

Country flag
Hey Guys starting off a race bike build and i have been scouring the site for a week or so now and still have lots of questions :)

1) Exhaust for more power and weight loss.. Currently thinking about the werkes GP, but am having a hard time finding dyno info anywhere for all the exhausts.. any recommendations from racers?
2) ECU tune? is there needed? where do you get it done? do i need it if i am putting a Bazzaz or PCV on it? doers it do anything else?
3) air box mod? whats the deal here?
4) Throttle mod? whats the deal here?
5) any other mods i am missing?

anything else i should be doing on my build (already done the main stuff, air filter, valve spring upgrade, suspension. rear sets, clipons) its really done to performance mods now.

-Jason

ASM

In general - and especially since you are mainly looking for performance - do yourself a favor and contact Chad from KTM Performance (cjwell here on the forum). There is simply no one better to call when it comes to RC390s. He has answers and products for all your questions (and probably more).

unicorn_violence

1. i would avoid the werkes if you are looking for gains. im still running stock on my race bike, but my fellow racers have had good luck with the arrow exhaust and akroprovic. ktm performance has the non cat version for sale. i have also heard good things about the tyga exhausts.
2. havent done that mod either so im not sure
3. mnnthbx sells a air box mod that opens up the top. i have not used it though since my racing league requires the air box stays stock
4. mnnthbx also sells a g2 quick turn throttle that i have on my bike. it works perfectly. you can also buy the motion pro rev2 throttle kit, although it is alot more expensive.
5. brakes? not sure if you had done that yet. just a wave rotor and racing pads makes a world of difference. you can also buy bypass lines. if you want to completely get rid of brake fade, you can change out the master cylinder (if your league approves it)
lighter sprocket and chain is never a bad idea, the stock sprocket is very heavy.

pic because i like to show off;)

lT9NqEp.jpg

Last edited:

green_bread

Country flag
I second going through Chad. I guarantee you won't be sorry.

1) I would go with the Yoshi or Tyga exhaust. They will be the easiest to get a map for and don't drag like the Akra.

2) Do the Akra map, yes. It gives you an extra 250 RPMS and allows you to remove the emissions crap without throwing a CEL. Chad can also do this for you.

3) Take a heat gun to the lid of the airbox to heat up the adhesive, remove the two screws on the bottom, and pry the top part of the lid off. Replace with the bottom piece of the lid to hold the filter in place.

4) Motion Pro kit, all the way. It comes with several internal gears so you can adjust the rate to your liking and greatly improves the feel of the throttle

5) Suspension, rearsets, and tires.

Again, talk to Chad, he will treat you right.

CDN Duke

Country flag
+1 for Chad at KTM Performance.

#3 - there is a 3D printed file avail on the Duke 390 forum. I bought the MNNTHBX lid but wished I did the 3D printed version actually for better cost/weight savings.

edderz 33

Hey Unicorn, same with me..still running stock exhaust. more mid and top power as compared to other..but for small track, feel slightly sluggish during exiting the corner.
Since you raced against arrow/ akra, could you share any different in power?

cornerslider

Hey Guys starting off a race bike build and i have been scouring the site for a week or so now and still have lots of questions :)

1) Exhaust for more power and weight loss.. Currently thinking about the werkes GP, but am having a hard time finding dyno info anywhere for all the exhausts.. any recommendations from racers?
2) ECU tune? is there needed? where do you get it done? do i need it if i am putting a Bazzaz or PCV on it? doers it do anything else?
3) air box mod? whats the deal here?
4) Throttle mod? whats the deal here?
5) any other mods i am missing?

anything else i should be doing on my build (already done the main stuff, air filter, valve spring upgrade, suspension. rear sets, clipons) its really done to performance mods now.

-Jason

I did mine in stages. I got noticeable gains from just doing a PCV. I just ran the generic map from PCV for stock exhaust, and stock air filter. The bike ran noticeably better, and seemed to run a little cooler too. I eventually added the Arrow "Street-thunder" exhaust, and open airbox/K&N filter mod. As much as I liked the underbody exhaust, I didn't like the amount of heat the catalytic converter was throwing off- just millimeters away from my new Ohlins rear shock. The Arrow exhaust LOOKS like it has a catalytic converter, but it's actually a kind of "expansion chamber". I assure you, the mid-pipe is hollow, and free-flowing. I never weighed both exhausts, but I would guess it's a difference of nearly ten pounds! I did the exhaust, open airbox/K&N filter mod, along with Chad Wells map, all at the same time (after doing the PCV)..... Those three things absolutely TRANSFORMED my bike! On a tighter track, I can hang with the 600's all day..... I suggest you purchase the PCV from Chad Wells (site sponsor), and he will load the correct map onto the PCV for your chosen exhaust & intake. I never got mine dynotuned, because I don't "chase championships", I just do local track days for fun. I installed everything myself, and it was pretty much "plug-and-play"......My bike runs better than new right now-