Rear brake pad replacement question

stl390

This is my first post I suppose, so hello. I live outside St. Louis, Missouri. I thought for sure I had an account when I first bought the bike a few years ago, but couldn't seem to figure out my info.

Anyways, I need to replace my front and rear brake pads. The bike is not currently with me and I have searched in various other places online and on this forum for an answer to this question to no avail, so please bear with me.

Are the front and rear brake pads on the RC 390 the same? I'm looking at ordering the CL XBK5 pads. So would it be correct to order two sets of two pads, one set for front and one for back? Also, I'm familiar with replacing the front pads, but how reasonable is it for someone who is moderately mechanically inclined to replace the rear pads? I haven't done the rear brakes before. I.e. can this be done with basic tools/without a lift?

Also, are the CL pads generally recommended or are there other pads that you prefer?

Thank you all SO MUCH in advance for any help.

P.S. I hope this is in the correct thread. If not, I apologize and please direct me to the correct location

Last edited:

isaac_

This is my first post I suppose, so hello. I live outside St. Louis, Missouri. I thought for sure I had an account when I first bought the bike a few years ago, but couldn't seem to figure out my info.

Anyways, I need to replace my front and rear brake pads. The bike is not currently with me and I have searched in various other places online and on this forum for an answer to this question to no avail, so please bear with me[emoji120].

Are the front and rear brake pads on the RC 390 the same? I'm looking at ordering the CL XBK5 pads. So would it be correct to order two sets of two pads, one set for front and one for back? Also, I'm familiar with replacing the front pads, but how reasonable is it for someone who is moderately mechanically inclined to replace the rear pads? I haven't done the rear brakes before. I.e. can this be done with basic tools/without a lift?

Also, are the CL pads generally recommended or are there other pads that you prefer?

Thank you all SO MUCH in advance for any help.

P.S. I hope this is in the correct thread. If not, I apologize and please direct me to the correct location

What’s your application? Street? Race? I have never tested the CL for street but they make great race pads.

To do the rear you’ll need to take the rear wheel. If you’re comfortable doing that, I don’t think you’ll need more mechanical know how than what it takes to do the front brakes.

stl390

What’s your application? Street? Race? I have never tested the CL for street but they make great race pads.

To do the rear you’ll need to take the rear wheel. If you’re comfortable doing that, I don’t think you’ll need more mechanical know how than what it takes to do the front brakes.

Most likely just street. Relatively spirited riding, but I would want whatever pads I got to be able to get up to whatever the appropriate temps were to be most beneficial.

Also, I'm guessing the pads are the same in back as what's up front? I know this is a super basic question. Hopefully not too ridiculous, just trying to avoid ordering the wrong thing just to find out once I've taken everything apart.

isaac_

Most likely just street. Relatively spirited riding, but I would want whatever pads I got to be able to get up to whatever the appropriate temps were to be most beneficial.

Also, I'm guessing the pads are the same in back as what's up front? I know this is a super basic question. Hopefully not too ridiculous, just trying to avoid ordering the wrong thing just to find out once I've taken everything apart.

Great question about rear pads. I’m not sure to be honest. In the 2 years I’ve owned my bike... I haven’t used the rear brake once. And, in fact, in chamfered the rear pads. So, I’m not the best person to answer that. From what I remember I don’t think they’re the same. I recall them being smaller. You might want to give KTMPerformance.com a call. They’ve been very helpful with my KTM needs.

The CL1233XBK5 might be ok but I think they’re a bit more sporty than your street needs. CL makes great pads. Just a matter of obtaining the right spec ones. Highly recommend you give KTMPerformance a call and ask for Chad. He’s helped the community out.

stl390

Great question about rear pads. I’m not sure to be honest. In the 2 years I’ve owned my bike... I haven’t used the rear brake once. And, in fact, in chamfered the rear pads. So, I’m not the best person to answer that. From what I remember I don’t think they’re the same. I recall them being smaller. You might want to give KTMPerformance.com a call. They’ve been very helpful with my KTM needs.

The CL1233XBK5 might be ok but I think they’re a bit more sporty than your street needs. CL makes great pads. Just a matter of obtaining the right spec ones. Highly recommend you give KTMPerformance a call and ask for Chad. He’s helped the community out.

Awesome, thanks a lot for your help/recommendations!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I don't think I've EVER gone through a set of rear pads. Wait, scratch that... my CBR 1100XX Blackbird has linked brakes, and I did in fact go through one set of pads on that. I used the stock ones to replace 'em, or maybe EBC. Whatever was cheapest on Amazon. In general, the ONLY application I've ever had for rears is setting the chassis out a bit in a turn when things start to get wobbly (anybody else remember Duhamel and his left grip thumb brake for the rear?), when I'm sitting at a light, or when I've gone off course into gravel or grass and can't use the front brakes.

So my recommendation is, get a pair of stock pads (ktm part number 90113090000) for the rear. If you go through them before you retire the bike or sell it, you should look to taking some ERC and/or trackday courses.
For the fronts, I run EBC HH, but there are lots of choices here. I'm just a HH believer, and mostly ride on the street. The rotor wears out faster, but on the 390, the stock rotor is CHEAP so I consider it a consumable.

Tom

It seems like the ABS on these bikes is so over-reactive, coupled with the insane amount of engine braking, it seems impossible to kill a set of rears on this bike.

However, I did a smaller rear sprocket over the weekend (which required you to remove the caliper) and it really isnt that hard with basic tools. I dont have a rear paddock stand. If you remove the under fairing (6 screws) there will be a steel bracket under the motor that mounts to the fairing. I used this as a jacking point (the bike is incredibly unbalanced side to side, so have a friend hold it) then position the jack stands in an area on the rear fork that will not impede the removal of the wheel. With the rear fork on the stands, it's super stable. I was nervous about doing this myself until I saw all the videos of people in India doing it with rocks and shit. You can literally do this with caveman tools.

This video seems to be the most "professional" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpNK6AUaTrM

Keep in mind, you need to make sure the wheel is aligned, before tightening the the bolts back down. I used digital calipers, but if you are just changing the pads then just make sure the rear axle retainers are pressed all the way forward to the adjustments stops/bolts. Put an object (preferably a scarf or towel) between the chain and bottom of the rear sprocket then rotate the wheel so the object gets caught between the sprocket and chain. This will force both sides of the wheel to snug forward against the adjustment stops, so you can tighten the axle nut back on.

I did this all by myself and after drinking two 40oz of beer, so you can too.

Last edited: