Running Amsoil?

Sacape2

I know, I know, another oil thread, right? Yes, I've used the search tool!

Well, I've been putting off my first service for the last two weeks, which includes not riding....because I want to take advantage of a good deal. My friend just started working at Amsoil and will hook me up with motor oil, but I simply can't find any information regarding our bikes and their oil. I know they make oil for racing applications, mainly high revving cars, and oil for v-twins and dirtbikes, but that's it. Some oils meet the OEM recommended 10w40 (I think that's right). AFAIK from what I have read, the only thing that really matters is the grade/weight and meets the JASO specification (MA minimum).

Has anyone ever run Amsoil before or a 50 weight oil instead of the 40? This oil seems like it would best meet the recommended specs.

Last edited:

Old3

Country flag
I was a dealer when i was heavy into racing with my three kids. Got the dealership just for the discount, never sold to snyone else. Its great, but I run Rotella T now with zero issues. Easy to get, cheap, change it often. 2-3000 miles on the street, depening on use for the dirt bikes. Could be one ride or several.

Sacape2

I talked to my friend who's an Amsoil dealer. He suggested the 10w40 for Metric bikes and swears by it. He's been running it in his MV Agusta AMG F38RC without any issues. I went ahead and ordered a gallon and a filter kit.

Ryanthegreat1

I was a dealer when i was heavy into racing with my three kids. Got the dealership just for the discount, never sold to snyone else. Its great, but I run Rotella T now with zero issues. Easy to get, cheap, change it often. 2-3000 miles on the street, depening on use for the dirt bikes. Could be one ride or several.

Glad to hear someone is running the T6. That is going to be my next oil change now that the bike is out of warranty. Not sold on the euro oil, highly doubt it is 4x better as the price suggests.

OldVet

I'm running this stuff in my KTM 350 EXC-F and my RC390 as I think the RC's engine is basically a dirt bike engine. Almost 9,000 miles on the RC with no issues so far.

dirt.jpg

I run this in my BMW S1000RR and have over 91,000 miles on it to date and it's still running strong and haven't even had to adjust valves yet.

Metric.jpg

Treachery

Country flag
I'm running this stuff in my KTM 350 EXC-F and my RC390 as I think the RC's engine is basically a dirt bike engine. Almost 9,000 miles on the RC with no issues so far.

View attachment 2433

9000 miles? Holy smoke! I gotta leave work now and pick up the slack!!!

I priced that one, (10W-50?) and it's in the same range as the liquid gold Motorex. Appreciate the endorsement, though.

I run this in my BMW S1000RR and have over 91,000 miles on it to date and it's still running strong and haven't even had to adjust valves yet.

View attachment 2434

I need an "I am not worthy" .gif.

Ryanthegreat1

Nearly a dirt bike engine with a couple of oiling differences for extra longevity. For example the big end of the connecting rod uses a plain bearing rather than a roller bearing like the dirt bikes.

Sacape2

I don't think I'm going to do the 15k interval or whatever that Amsoil stands by. At least not until maybe the third or fourth change. If all the crap that comes out during this first change will still be there afterwards, I rather not risk it. "But why get Amsoil then?" Well...I believe in "help a brother out."

OldVet

I change the oil on the 390 around 2,500 miles, heck it takes less than two quarts.

On my S1000RR I change it every 4K.

Sacape2

Just got my oil yesterday. Still waiting on my filters. I'm hoping to do my service this weekend if I get those filters in! I haven't ridden in almost 3 weeks :(.

Sacape2

Well I finally did it! I'm surprised the bike started after 3 weeks of sitting. Flushed and filled with Amsoil and had some crazy flakes in my filters. I didn't get to flush my coolant and run Engine Ice since I left my distilled water in my wife's car and I rather not go buy another gallon lol, but I cleaned and adjusted my chain! I'm going to check the valve clearance this weekend for sure, so I won't ride until then.

I've read and read about oil levels and how/when to check it, even searched several forums. I "kinda" went above 1.9L (apparently that's the quantity if you remove the filters) and took it for a spirited ride. It ran smooth and shifted seamlessly. Got back home, shut dowm, jumped off the bike, and the sight glass was full! Took off my gear, checked again, and the oil level was right at the max line. I checked with the bike upright both times. What gives with these readings?

On a side note, I learned today not to use Power Purple to clean chain overspray from the wheels because it will rub off the wheel paint... My Extreme Aircraft Simple Green was not on hand, so I opted for the closer cleaner. Don't use Power Purple!!!

IMG_20160425_150905.jpgIMG_20160425_145544.jpgIMG_20160425_145235.jpg

Last edited:

Wa2fst

Country flag
Sjust seen this. Interesting your friend runs that. My F4312r i had to run the amsoil V Twin 20-50 but i had a different motor from the newer bikes. 10-40 is not the norm for any Italian bikewith hot running motors.

Wa2fst

Country flag
Keep in mind the 390 calls for semi syn oil not full syn such as amsoil. It is possible to have to slippery of oil. 10-40 is the norm for all japanese bikes. Most euro bikes call for a completely diff oil grade and not 10-40. To each their own though. Im able to get the correct oil in Bel-Ray here.

Sacape2

If I feel anything out of the ordinary, I'll up the viscosity. I don't ride much now since I enjoy driving again now that I have my dream car. For the short term, this viscosity isn't bad. Long term hard running, yes it can thin out to the point where parts can prematurely wear out. As for Japanese and Italian/Euro, they're all metric bikes.

OldVet

Keep in mind the 390 calls for semi syn oil not full syn such as amsoil. It is possible to have to slippery of oil. 10-40 is the norm for all japanese bikes. Most euro bikes call for a completely diff oil grade and not 10-40. To each their own though. Im able to get the correct oil in Bel-Ray here.

Where did you get that, I don't see anything in my owners manual indicating semi syn?

Sacape2

I couldn't either. It only suggests motorex 15w-50 and a note specifying any oil that meets the JASO specification will work.

Last edited: