Sad you have to fix your own bike back from the dealership :-(

Michelle

I wish I had never taken my bike into the dealership to have the valves done ,, why they would leave one valve tight is beyond me...
Anyway screw it I am going to woman up and do that last valve adjustment myself :mad: ..... I have ordered the shims Hotcams ,, should be here today tomorrow ,, Hopefully do it this weekend...

Also since my bike has come back its doing a strange thing .... What it is doing is revving up when I come to a full stop ,, it does not pop or backfire and I can sit there and rev the bike and its fine.
Its only when I am coming to a full stop using my gears ,, it revs up to 3 and drops back down ,, other than that its fine...

I don,t think its and air leak ,, could be wrong but its only since it come back from the dealership,,,,,,, I have read other people having this problem and once they got there ECU flashed the bike was fine.... So I think its that... I take it ECU ,, CDI thats the computer on the back of the tank ?..
What the hell did they do to my poor bike ....... They are meant to be professionals ,, when I get my valves done then I will sort that out.....

Anyway when I do them I will post pics ,, should of just done them in the first place....

Michelle

I did miss something out ,, it only does it when I pull the clutch in ,, so slowing down to stop as I stop and pull the clutch in that is when it revs..... But yet i does not do it when I just rev the bike...
When I first picked my bike up from the dealership my engine light stayed on , so I went back in to tell them..
They took it back in and the man come out and said oh you have fitted a fueling unit ,, I said yes ,, he said was it on after installing it ,, I said its only been on since you have had it..
It turned out they forgot to push a plug in when putting it back together ,, I should have known at that point I am screwed..

Anyway ,, have a good day chaps and girls ,, back to work I go ,, got to earn some pennies :eek:....... :))))))))))))

Ryanthegreat1

And that is why I service my own vehicles. No one to be angry with but myself.

Too much risk involved to trust someone else to do everything correctly.

green_bread

Country flag
Im having a hard time remembering, but does the stock clutch lever/perch have a switch it in? If its unplugged that could possibly be causing the issue with the engine revving up when you pull the clutch in, Id think.The ECU is mounted on the back of the tank. Im not sure that a flash is going to fix the issue for you.Bottom line is that if the bike came back to you with problems, I would be talking to the people who did the work to either have them fix it or get my money back. If you dont want them to fix it, thats your decision, but dont let them get away with messing things up on your bike and not say anything to them about it. If they try to argue with you about it, make them prove it to you like you did with the CEL being on. Youre paying them for a service so theres nothing wrong with holding them to their end of the bargain.

Michelle

Hi green_bread

I have had a look the switch is not unplugged , there is two screws holding it in ,, I do not like to make a fuss and if I am honest I almost rode off on my bike but I thought no ,, so that is when I went back in..
I am not taking my bike back ,, they just can not be trusted ,, I rang up and told them I had inspected there work and it had not all been done leaving one valve tight.. He said sorry and he would get the guy who did my bike to ring...
He did and he was not happy I could tell by the tone of his voice ,, he said 3 needed adjusting and the other was just in spec but that is not true...

When I picked my bike up and they took it in to sort the engine light out ,, I told him its revving up and it did not do that before ,, he said do a 15 minuet re-set on it ,, which I have not done but I could try it...
I am going to be writing to them to tell them how upset I am with that guy screwing my bike up.... see what happens ,, not a lot me thinks....

Fasteddy

Country flag
FWIW, when I first got my 2015 I ended up rerouting the clutch cable as it was rubbing against the instrument cluster, wonder if it might be tugging on the throttle cable someplace?

Michelle

Morning Ed

I will have a good look over the weekend ,, hopefully Saturday if my shims are here...... I don,t think it is though because its starting to do it when I start it up as well ,, the revs will go up and drop just sitting there..
I know they have been in the CDI ,, rather then book my bike into a shop ,, can I take the CDI off the back of the tank and take just that into the shop and get it flashed ?? ,, or does it need to be on the bike ??..
I will have a real good look at everything when I do the valve adjustment..

Michelle

To be honest the bike runs great really ,, rides fantastic ,, starts first time every time ,, a real joy to ride.... its just a bit annoying that it revs up a bit when I come to a full stop:rolleyes: .....
Odd ,, other people on here have had a lot more problems than that so maybe I should be thank full... But there again I never had it before the dealership got there hand on it..
I am going to start writing a letter to them today..

green_bread

Country flag
When youre saying it revs up, do you mean it keeps doing it? Like, is it hunting for the idle and surging between say 1500 and 3000 RPM? Or does it just rev up, then come down slowly and settle?

isaac_

When youre saying it revs up, do you mean it keeps doing it? Like, is it hunting for the idle and surging between say 1500 and 3000 RPM? Or does it just rev up, then come down slowly and settle?

I think a video at this point would be nice. If it's immediately at the start then it's the fast idle, but that should settle in at around 1500-1700 RPM.

Michelle

it does not always do it when I start it ,, but it does always do it when I ride and I have noticed as it gets hot it does it worse .... Its only when I am coming to a full stop and pull the clutch in the revs go up and just drop back to idle.
Yes it surges ,, Like I say when its hot and I pull the clutch in the revs will go up to 3000 and back down to idle.. I am hoping to do the valve adjustment tomorrow so I will check everything is ok , like all the plugs are in...

Michelle

I did my valve adjustment today ,, with an oil change it took me 5 hours from start to finish so here are some pictures
IMG_2144.jpg
I have tried and tried I can not rotate the picture and I have been in go advanced.. Anyway you can see I have zip tied the chain to the gears.
I read on another forum the owner of a Duke 390 did the same but the chain slipped round the crank gear at the bottom and he bent all the valves.
So I took my clutch cover off and stuffed a rag in under the gear to stop the chain from coming off.
IMG_2145.jpg
I ended up adjusting two valves ,, one intake and an exhaust ,, it was ok when I checked the exhaust valve the other week but maybe bedding it in made it a bit tight ,, I am not sure but it was tight to get the feller through 0.13 so I thought sod it might as well do that as well ,, but I had to hold the cam up with a screw driver so I could get my fat hand in to replace the shim on the exhaust valve
IMG_2150.jpg
Anyway the ones I took out had not numbers or makings on them so its lucky I have a digital caliper ,, and when I put my hotcams in I put them facing down with the numbers on ,, I hope that was right:rolleyes: .....
Well after that I did an oil change so that was it 5 hours ;).... I am glad its all done now ..

Last edited:

Michelle

I do not know what on earth is going on with the 3 pic at the bottom ,, I have tried to delete them.... Its lucky for me I know how to turn a wrench better than working on this site..

isaac_

I'm a little surprised you had one that was previously brought to spec just weeks ago be out of spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michelle

I checked them after it came back from the dealers and I could get a 13 through ,, but when I took it apart today it was really tight to push it through ( checked 3 times ) so I thought change that as well...
Hope I do not have to touch them again for sometime...

Michelle

Thanks ,, no not at all ,, as you see I had to lift the exhaust cam out the way with a screw driver to pop the shim in..

Diploman

Michelle, You are the first 390 owner I have seen who has taken off the clutch cover in order to keep the cam chain in place. This is a bit of extra effort, but probably a sensible idea in terms of avoiding possible misalignment when refitting the cams. Did you loosen and tilt the radiator? Some 390 owners advocate doing this for much easier access to the exhaust valves. Another operation that can be combined with the valve check/shim is retorquing the head bolts, something that seems a prudent idea in light of head gasket issues that have surfaced. In your bottom photo one of the two interior head bolts that are buried under the cams is visible - the other two head bolts are easily accessible on the outside of the head/cylinder.

Nice job! How is the bike running now?

Michelle

Thanks Diploman :)

No I did not move the rad or check the head bolts ,, I should of but once I started taking the cam shaft bridge off I was nervous ,, in fact so nervous I was starting to shake a bit and my husband told me to stop because I asked him to hold the intake cam up while I put the shim in...

I do not know if its just me or the fueling unit but its running really well now ,, in fact since I have done the valve adjustment its stopped revving up to 3000 when I pull the clutch in..
Its still hunting a bit though from 1700 to 2000 ,, up and down a bit it is ,, after a second or two it just goes back to idle 1700...

I hope my head gasket does not let go ,, that would be dreadful ,, I do not have the skills to fix that like you guys on here ,, wish I did..