Shock Swap with 99-02 R6

AirRsq

Shock swap update

Update on my R6 shock swap project:

I got my shock put together and installed, but the weather here in Eastern NC has been complete garbage so I have yet to ride it.

IMG_6544.jpg

IMG_6546.jpg

rick

What did you use for your 12mm to 10mm bushing material? Did you order the McMaster Carr items I'd initially found, or make something else work?
BTW, I do have a set of the McMaster Carr insert laying around. If anyone wants 'em I'll sell send 'em to you for ..I dunno, $5 should cover shipping and packing materials (US only).

YesEvil

If the R6 one is 5mm longer in the stroke that is just about prefect. Is a good job cause I order one yesterday on ebay.

YesEvil

I have noticed a fair few of you posting in here have gone for quite a bit stiffer spring. As a result there is a lot more energy stored in that spring (for a given compression) therefore the dampering is going to be working very hard and will result in the shock getting hot, oil thining and losing damping effect. For anyone who has gone more than 3 steps stiffer on the spring I would recommend having the damping reworked as well.

Trimapa

Just received the kit from Matt : great stuff and again thank you Matt for your great service and fast shipping .

rick

If the R6 one is 5mm longer in the stroke that is just about prefect. Is a good job cause I order one yesterday on ebay.
Nice!
According to this spreadsheet the R6 shock has a 62mm stroke. The Ohlins KT303 for the RC390 has a 63mm stroke. So, I assumed that the R6 shock was gonna work pretty well. I hadn't been able to find the stroke of the stock shock until now. :)

YesEvil

Hi Rick thanks for the info is interesting, my shock arrived today and I measured the stroke at about 62mm! The Ohlins link is also quite informative as to spring rate looks like that ohlins shock designed for the 390 uses a 105N/mm spring and that would be for Mr Average say 85 kg. The spring rate on my standard R6 spring is 93N/mm ish I think will propably be ok for me at 70kg and mainly road riding I may get a 100N/mm spring before my next track day.
I am going to assemble it all this weekend and will post photos and sag figures as soon as I have them.

Diploman

The R6 shock is about 4 - 5 mm longer overall (ie, eyelet to eyelet centers) than the OEM shock. This provides a useful bit of additional ground clearance for footpegs and other low-slung bits. Not sure about the stroke of the OEM shock, but I can say without a doubt that the R6 shock works much, much better on my Duke than the regrettably inadequate, low-budget OEM piece.

Trimapa

Just had some time to have a good look at the good that were sent to me from Matt at " Formula3990 " . Again first class material and I must say again Matt has been more than helpful : All the advise you may need and he really went the extra mile to get me a better shipping quote . Certainly not Matt's fault that USPS and all the other carrier seem to charge an arm and a leg to get stuff to Europe . All in all , I can recommend all here using Matt for your suspension needs . The guy must have written the suspension bible as he knows about everything ! Matt , thanks again and as I'm toying with the idea to get some Tyga carbon parts , I know already where I will be buying them from !

I'm in the process of installing the shock , all is going well . Thanks to some un-orthodox but very effective advise from Diploman here .

YesEvil

IMG-20160304-WA0001.jpgIMG-20160305-WA0005.jpgIMG-20160305-WA0007.jpg

I have also fitted an R6 99-02 shock to me bike.
Being only 70kg the stock spring (95n/mm) works just fine.

Static Sag 10mm
Dynamic Sag 40mm

Seat Height increased by 10-15mm

7 clicks Preload
7 clicks Compression
9 click Rebound

So far I am very impressed. The current settings are the stock R6 ones, so will start to play around with the setting over the coming weeks and months.