Suspension help on a budget

cornerslider

I'm picking up my 2016 RC390 in a few weeks. I know that I will be upgrading the suspension. I've had premium suspensions on several bikes in the past. I usually get overwhelmed by the endless possibilities for adjustments (analysis paralysis).... I ride about 50/50 street/track. I don't race, and never will. I usually do about about 8-10 trackdays per year. I'm 47 years old, and weigh about 195#. This is what I'm considering: Ohlins KT301, basic, upgraded, non-remote res. shock, sprung for my weight. Up front, I'm considering two options: 1) use stock forks/springs with Amsoil heavy weight suspension oil. 2) use stock forks, with straight rate springs, sprung for my weight with Amsoil medium, or heavyweight suspension oil. I've read that some folks are pretty happy with just using the heavier weight oil, but knowone mentions their weight? Anyone out there tried this approach? Love to hear some feedback-

hydroz1

Cornerslider, im in the same boat. The r6 shock upgrade and fork spring upgrade seem to be working for me. I'm also 200 pounds and use my rc to commute and track duties. Give Matt at Formula390 a buzz. He is super helpful here on the forum and to individuals just trying to ride better on their rc's.

Good luck.

V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCMoney

Country flag
I upgraded my rear to a Penske double clicker and the front I changed the springs for my weight and heavier weight oil, I weight 230 pounds.

Made the bike feel better, I stopped bottoming out. Anything on the rear will be better than stock.

Hekimpd

Ditto on talking to Matt. I have to save a few bucks, but the r6 shock and fork upgrade he has is the best for the money imho. As far as the forks bottoming out, I'm 170 with gear and forks dive on me too. The suspension overall just sucks.