The Chicken Strip Thread

reenmachine

Country flag
As funny as it sounds, I'm actually interested in seeing what your tire wear patterns are like. There's been some discussion about the shape of the 150 rear tire on this width of rim and whether running a 140 would open it up a bit and actually yield a larger contact patch and thus better performance.

These photos are of my OEM tires. Granted, I've only got about 400 miles on the bike so far and am just starting to push it a little in the corners, but it's a starting point for comparison over time. I'm just getting into the letters on the rear, so there's quite a strip. It's much more normal on the front, with a small strip and just tickling the edge here and there. On other bikes I've owned, a front strip like this went with zero or near-zero strip on the rear.

What do yours look like?

NOTE: This isn't about some ego-driven "no chicken strips" kind of thing. I'm just interested in finding the most effective tire size.

s9rJCYBh.jpg

1Wj5tl7h.jpg

guzz46

Here's what my wear pattern's look like, Dunlop Alpha-13's, I only did a few hundred kms on the stock Metzelers before I changed them, I've currently clocked up about 4000 kms on the Dunlops, I haven't ridden it for ages because its winter.
I have the 140 on the rear and It could just be my imagination, but I think it may have a more triangular profile that could possible have a larger contact patch when lent over? I don't know if there's anyway to know for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20150622_144343.jpg
    IMG_20150622_144343.jpg
    912.9 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_20150622_144358.jpg
    IMG_20150622_144358.jpg
    933.6 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_20150622_144430.jpg
    IMG_20150622_144430.jpg
    944.1 KB · Views: 525
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435005281.226344.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435005297.859306.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435005316.825000.jpg

Pirelli SuperCorsa SC2 rear 150. Pirelli SuperCorsa SC1 front 110
Our RC doesn't slide anywhere on either end unless I want it to.

Are there differences in the rubber compound of a 140 Pirelli vs 150?

Last edited:

Muckabucka

Country flag
Supercorsa SC1 front and rear. 150 on the rear. No surprises or slides with this setup. Will probably switch to SC2 now that the weather is hotter.
My only limitation were the stock rearsets that limited lean angle.
2015-06-22 16.18.27.jpg2015-06-22 16.18.36.jpg

reenmachine

Country flag
Pirelli SuperCorsa SC2 rear 150. Pirelli SuperCorsa SC1 front 110
Our RC doesn't slide anywhere on either end unless I want it to.

Are there differences in the rubber compound of a 140 Pirelli vs 150?

Supercorsa SC1 front and rear. 150 on the rear. No surprises or slides with this setup. Will probably switch to SC2 now that the weather is hotter.
My only limitation were the stock rearsets that limited lean angle.

It's interesting that you guys have that much unused rubber with the 150s on race tires and I assume pretty deep lean angles.

guzz46

They've gone to the edge of their front tyre, so if they managed to go to the edge of their rear tyre they would most likely run off the edge of their front tyre and crash, that's why I believe the 150 is too big for the rim, the wear pattern on the 140/70 is the same as the front, plus it gives some extra ground clearance too.

Ryanthegreat1

RC390 Street version US spec, all stock including tires. Track day at The Ridge Motorsports Park. Running 2:12 all day. Pulled off one 2:11. Running out of ground clearance with the stock foot pegs.

Front
IMG_20150622_200001.jpg

Rear
IMG_20150622_195836.jpg

emeglasson

Same basic story here. I am running the Dunlop Unbeaten 02. This is after 3 track days, running in the fast group. Lean angle is limited by the stock footpegs, which have the little nubs removed. (and probably more accurately my skill). I suppose someone might be able to get the 150's all the way over, but probably not me.

A friend is running a 140 section rear, and she is all the way to the edge, pretty easily, running slightly slower lap times.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Last edited:

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I would say that the 150 Pirelli was an excellent marketing decision as the logo on the sidewall can never be scrubbed off! I don't have any pictures to add to the thread but I can verify everything that has been said before. You cant use all the rear and the stock footpegs limit lean angle.

Ryanthegreat1

Same basic story here. I am running the Dunlop Unbeaten 02. This is after 3 track days, running in the fast group. Lean angle is limited by the stock footpegs, which have the little nubs removed. (and probably more accurately my skill). I suppose someone might be able to get the 150's all the way over, but probably not me.

A friend is running a 140 section rear, and she is all the way to the edge, pretty easily, running slightly slower lap times.

View attachment 764View attachment 765

I spy that Honda wing on the front fender.

Also nice tire boogers.

mr-fabricator

Im on a13's and a 150 rear looks identical to the post above , i was to the edge of the front and 8mm left on the rear , dropped the front forks 3mm down into the tripple clamps and its evened up the bike nicely and reduced the rear strip , 3-5mm max

SPG

Im on a13's and a 150 rear looks identical to the post above , i was to the edge of the front and 8mm left on the rear , dropped the front forks 3mm down into the tripple clamps and its evened up the bike nicely and reduced the rear strip , 3-5mm max

Just to confirm, does dropping the forks down in the clamps means you raised the front of the bike and the caps are 3 mm below the top of the clamp?
Thanks!

-Sean

mr-fabricator

Yep u got it , its down to rider preference at the end of the day . The front is biased on the heavy side from stock and i stripped a lot of weight from the rear of my bike . When on track it felt fine even tho i was running off the edge of the front tire . A few Of the pro's saw the front tire in comparison to the 10+mm left on the rear and also the fact i was realy loading the front in corners and said i needed to even things up so we dropped the forks down into the triple clamps , i must say the bike feels much more linear and the front isnt punished as much , and the rear is being used more . This is all on stock susp .

My front is down 5mm below the top triple. I've had it as low a 7. I had to to get the swing arm angle I wanted. I'm actually thinking about trying a 120 up front to complement the 150 on the rear. This isn't going to work right if you have a stock rear shock. You'll never get it turn correctly.

Last edited: