The Chicken Strip Thread

guzz46

I went the opposite way, I raised the forks (lowered the front end) up to the second line, about 5-6mm, and it felt much better, I had more confidence in the front, but everyone's different, so I would try both and see which one feels better to you.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just to confirm, does dropping the forks down in the clamps means you raised the front of the bike and the caps are 3 mm below the top of the clamp?
Thanks!

-Sean

Yes. Dropping the forks down == raising the bikes front. It's basically lengthening the front forks and changing the balance with putting more weight onto the rear end.

Ride height (front and/or rear) is raised to improve clearance or effect turning and drive out of the corners. We are playing with swing arm angle and trail or just flat raising it for clearance. Weight transfers may happen but it also may not be a positive thing. Ride height will only effect chicken strips if you're raising the bike 'cause you are dragging parts. Chicken strips are a result of lean angle and tire profile.

On the race track or for that matter the street, I'd rather have some "chicken strip" than not.

Last edited:

Runner2k

RC390 Street version US spec, all stock including tires. Track day at The Ridge Motorsports Park. Running 2:12 all day. Pulled off one 2:11. Running out of ground clearance with the stock foot pegs.

Rear
IMG_20150622_195836.jpg

Very nice!!

MrGrody

Front seems to get used a lot more than the rear but by the looks of the other stock tires it's the norm

8dabc195d175d8ad58872e0016ff1570.jpg

358689ac07b2e0d4a3d314867c01e082.jpg

Here's what my wear pattern's look like, Dunlop Alpha-13's, I only did a few hundred kms on the stock Metzelers before I changed them, I've currently clocked up about 4000 kms on the Dunlops, I haven't ridden it for ages because its winter.
I have the 140 on the rear and It could just be my imagination, but I think it may have a more triangular profile that could possible have a larger contact patch when lent over? I don't know if there's anyway to know for sure.

Hey Guzz46 how do you find the Alpha - 13's in wet conditions?

jokerio

Here is my rear 140 Supercorsa SC2. All the way to the edge….

Attachments

• 20150908_195634.jpg
    20150908_195634.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 893

zaster

Country flag
Front seems to get used a lot more than the rear but by the looks of the other stock tires it's the norm

Thanks for posting this. I'm experiencing the same with my stock tires and wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.
My front has no chicken strips and the rear has less than 1/2 inch.
Is this asking too much from the stock tires? I'm running 26 psi while riding my favorite mountain stretch.

Last edited:

MrGrody

Thanks for posting this. I'm experiencing the same with my stock tires and wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.
My fronts have no chicken strips and the rears have less than 1/2 inch.
Is this asking too much from the stock tires? I'm running 26 psi while riding my favorite mountain stretch.
I've ran s20evos and RossoII. Both fronts wore at lip. Rear had like 1/2" strip untouched.

Metals 907

I guess ive never ridden hard enough to remove my chicken strips. I have approximately 3/8" on each side of the rear and just under 1/4" on the front. Although i have scraped a peg on an unexpected closing corner up in the mountians.

simpletty

Country flag
IMG_1954.JPG

That is a 150 rear. Dunlop alpha. I found it to be an excellent tire. The front was all the way to the edge. Front forks are 9.8mm up in the triples. Found it very quick and nimble. If I like the alphas and you guys don't I can't imagine what the pirellis are like.

Attachments

• IMG_1964.JPG
    IMG_1964.JPG
    436.3 KB · Views: 403

Some_KTM_Guy

Where is everyone getting their tires from? I'm in the states but I've been struggling to find Super Corsa's or other DOT track tires to fit the bike. Any help is appreciated.

unicorn_violence

Where is everyone getting their tires from? I'm in the states but I've been struggling to find Super Corsa's or other DOT track tires to fit the bike. Any help is appreciated.

i got my SC's from Sol Performance. i would post the web link but not sure if that's allowed. there an awesome shope though with alot of knowledge about tires. they also ship for free to some states

Last edited:

MrGrody

I've always just found my tires on the top name online shops. Showed the price to my local shop and they just order and match price. Most anybody will match price . I even had my local dodge dealer match lube express type prices. Anywhere that won't price match wont get my $

ASM

Where are you located? Race tires (DOT, slicks) are not offered through the regular online channels (Your local motorcycle dealer could order them from the race supplier in your region). If you are looking for the Supercorsa SP (street version), you can find them at pretty much any online store...

Last edited: