Throttle stuck wfo

Rocketracer11

Hey all, was at the test track this weekend and had a strange thing happen, a good buddy asked to try the rc and on his third lap he came easing into the pits, he said the throttle stuck wide open on him but he was quick reacting enough to clutch the bike and kill the engine. I suited up after giving it the once over and everything looked good, took it out and just before turn 1 the throttle stuck wide open. I was ready for it, killed the engine, came to a stop, went back to neutral, fired it up and it was stuck wide open. I tried the usual, handlebars left full right full, banged on the throttle tube and nothing. Shut it off, turned it back on and it wasn't stuck. Rode a lap back to the pits. From there we tore it down, checked all cable routing, springs, even air box to see if anything got lodged. Everything looked great, rode it the rest of the weekend with no grief at all. Anybody else have this happen or an idea what to look at? I'm going to take it into the dealer Tues just to get it on record that this happened. Really have no clue what caused or why?

dobr

Yep, happened on my first ride. I think there's something inside the throttle housing which causes it to stick. After a couple times forcing it forward it hasn't happened since. I spoke to another owner he had also had a similar issue. Seems to be fairly common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muckabucka

Country flag
It would have to be something mechanical. So your throttle assembly would be a good start. Even though it's new, check your cable as if something is frayed, that could cause it too.
Lastly check around the throttle body to ensure nothing would be hanging up the linkage. It's pretty crowded under the tank, so you want to make sure nothing is interfering with free play.
I had a 91 RS250 that was starting to have carb problems that the slides would stick open sometimes. Very interesting when you're entering a corner... :)

Rocketracer11

Yeah we tore it down to almost nothing left...all looks good... Seems to be working well now but not gonna lie I don't wanna worry about that in The back of my mind haha

dobr

Felt to me like it was in the throttle housing. I'm guessing something that wire down or cracked off. I'll be pulling my throttle assembly apart before too long and I'll check for a wear point or broken piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocketracer11

Update, KTM dealer found no red flags, but re-routed throttle cable in a safer more cleanly route than the India engineers :) will be on track tomorrow morning to test.

Rocketracer11

I wasn't present for the reroute, but noticeably towards the front brake MC they reversed the placement from the brake line. I've run 1 track session with no grief yet. I'll be back on track in an hr for the remainder of the day. Let the test commence. After today we'r going to tear it down to the frame and recheck everything, I should have a solid view then.

typhon

i had the same thing happen to me on my aprilia rs250. ended up being the cable getting pinched between the tank and frame. routed the cable in a a more direct path and had no problems after that. and you're right...it will definitely wake you up when entering a turn and your bike is wide open :eek: