WARNING - Torque specs could be off in Owners Manual

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

Owners, ... double check the validity of the Torque Specs. of the RC390 owners manual.

We were changing the rear sprocket today on the RC390.

And went to check the manual for proper Torque for the Rear Sprocket nuts.

And found some of incorrect information.

Our Manual shows :
Rear sprocket STUD 10x1.25 -
And then it also shows Rear sprocket NUT 10x1.25

First off, The Sprocket bolt and Sprocket nut are both 8mm....... NOT 10mm like the manual shows.

And the RC390 doesn't have a "torque" Type, STUD that screws into the hub, like most bikes......... it has a through bolt that falls out when you release the nut ... (WTF? ).
So you can't have a "Torque rating for the stud"

Not only does it have the wrong sizes......... and incorrect data............ not even sure if the torque specs are correct.

For sure........ 8mm and 10mm do NOT have the same torque specs.

What does all this mean............. Be sure to double check the numbers before you just go by what the manual shows.

KTM.jpg

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

FWIW.......... 19lb/ft for a 8mm Nut is about right.

So It "Could" just be a type for the size. But, the fact it shows a Torquable STUD, which is wrong..... and someone could think that is the Sprocket Nut.......... is a little scary.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag

What does all this mean............. Be sure to double check the numbers before you just go by what the manual shows.

KTM.jpg

:) Good point and thanks for posting. Reminds me of the time I was helping a buddy service his SV and change the tires. I knew about what the axle should be tightened to, but figured "Hey, I'm teaching him... so let's teach him properly and check the manual." So, I skimmed through the manual and found the page for tightening the axle... I about lost my mind when I read that is stated the Axle torque spec was -=725=- foot pounds!!!
Wrong_Manual.jpg

"What the... 725!!! Holy HELL! Uhmmm, NO!!!!!"

"Hey, Bubba! Fetch me that thar 12' stick of 2" square tube stock to use as a breaker bar. We gotz to tighten that thar axle again. I'll tell you what, them wheel bearings don't last fer nuttin on dis bike!!!" :)

FWIW.......... 19lb/ft for a 8mm Nut is about right.

So It "Could" just be a type for the size. But, the fact it shows a Torquable STUD, which is wrong..... and someone could think that is the Sprocket Nut.......... is a little scary.

Welcome to made in India. Betting more surprises yet to be discovered :)

Fasteddy

Country flag
Found the same types of errors in the SuperDuke 990 shop / owners manuals. From wrong spark plug number and thread size to type setting errors...

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Found the same types of errors in the SuperDuke 990 shop / owners manuals. From wrong spark plug number and thread size to type setting errors...

Got to love it.

Some poor dude, thinks the manual is gospel, and doesn't question it, and SNAPS off a bolt or nut.