Wider Tires & Wheels?

shortpballer

I apologize if this is a stupid question. But is there a way to put some meatier tires on the stock wheels? Or a way to put a wider after market wheel and tire on the back? I don't race, just ride on the street, and the bike is amazing looks wise, the only thing that bothers me is the size of the back tire is soooooooooo small.

UMZenki

Form follows function when it comes to tires. Especially on this bike. If anything, we benefit from sizing down to a 140...

If you're concerned about the width of your back tire, you're focused on the wrong things. Learn to lean the thing back and forth between the sidewalls, then walk around with your head held high that you use more of your 150 than most guys on 190s...

yo69xl

If you're concerned about the width of your back tire, you're focused on the wrong things. Learn to lean the thing back and forth between the sidewalls, then walk around with your head held high that you use more of your 150 than most guys on 190s...

Couldn't have said it better myself ..

shortpballer

I've used the complete tire on a fz07 yamaha (not sure of size tire) which I was ridding all summer.

But again, I care about looks, I'm not racing... so I asked this question regarding looks, not function :)

I was just wondering if it was possible.

Form follows function when it comes to tires. Especially on this bike. If anything, we benefit from sizing down to a 140...

mr-fabricator

160 will fit , many rave about the 140 for quicker turn in and less un sorung weight and added ground clearance , personally i like and will stick with the stock 150 profile but i run dunlops .

Like the others have already stated very well, I would not get so hung up about the look of the tire width. If that is such an issue get a bigger bike. Otherwise you can't complain about the handling issues you'll face. It is a very nimble and flickable bike. I don't go out riding and look to criticize the tire widths of other peoples bikes. Enjoy it for what it was designed to do. Everywhere I've ridden the bike and stopped I get nothing but compliments, even from the motorcycle cops. Just put some stickier tires on and have fun riding it.

jokerio

The stock 150 is actually too big for the rim. I run the 140 Pirelli and love it plus, it fits the width of the rear rim correctly….

RC390 Fan

The stock 150 is actually too big for the rim. I run the 140 Pirelli and love it plus, it fits the width of the rear rim correctly….

Have you tried a smaller front? It seems that it could also use a bigger contact patch at full lean.

big_sur

What Pirelli is that? I asked my vendor and they said super corsa only comes in 150, as does the a13

OldVet

What do you base this on?

I would think KTM did some R&D on these things before going into production. Why would they put a incorrect size tire on them?

guzz46

What do you base this on?

I would think KTM did some R&D on these things before going into production. Why would they put a incorrect size tire on them?

Because a 150 looks more impressive, KTM even mention in their marketing that it has the biggest rear tyre in the class, the150 has chicken strips, the 140 doesn't.

big_sur

Well I mean 140 is smaller/less weight/less drag if the traction is still there and you're not using all of the 150, but it's kind of silly to change tire size if you're not racing and there don't seem to be any race tire options in 140.

kings4thecup

Honestly...I put a 160 on it because I had gotten a nail in my tire and didn't have a choice...however, I am actually REALLY REALLY pleased with how it looks...it looks 100x better with a wider tire...not to mention I personally feel it rides better. I am not a valentine Rossi or even remotely close to that level so I don't even notice a difference if it negatively impacts the ride quality at all. I also go in the twistys pretty often and find that it definitely has more contact patch and handles/grips a bit better too. Just my 2c...go for it and don't feel any hesitation.