Wider Tires & Wheels?

psych0hans

Country flag
Does anyone know how much the stock wheels weigh? Stock wheels generally aren't the lightest, especially on budget bikes like the KTM.

Andy

Country flag
Anyone thought of going smaller? Been looking at a smaller size with a higher profile, more for track days.

With a higher more pointy profile you should get better corner grip over straight line stability. For road the stock sizes are pretty much ok, they seem ok being used in the race series.

psych0hans

Country flag
Anyone thought of going smaller? Been looking at a smaller size with a higher profile, more for track days.

With a higher more pointy profile you should get better corner grip over straight line stability. For road the stock sizes are pretty much ok, they seem ok being used in the race series.

People have replaced the rear 150/60 with a 140/70 with good results on the stock wheels.

nino209

i raced my cup bike at CVMA, at first i used the alpha 13 110/150 combo, they work good and no chicken strips, the race tire does have a different profile that the street tires.
the only issue with the alpha 13 is that competing against the ninja 300 on pirellis or the bridgestone slicks is an uphill battle, also most of this guys are fast running a 2 min or below at chuck on a small bike is a tough proposition, so i went to a V01 slick i had from my zx10 and kept the 150 rear alpha, it worked great my times started to come down quickly, I'm still slow on this thing 2:09 has been my best but then again it was my first time racing a small bike, lots to learn.
so my next experiment will be the V01 slick in the front and a the V02 rear slick 120 that bridgestone sells, i will be trying that in February

ToraTora

Country flag
Nino, unless your class requires you to not run slicks you should be running slicks. They are such a huge advantage for many reasons including compound, profile, etc. Your competitors will have a huge advantage over you if they have slicks, and your are running street tires.

Psyco, other than cost what is the reason you are looking at those aftermarket wheels? Generally when one goes for an aftermarket wheel in a performance bike they want a lighter wheel. The place you linked doesn't even list weight (near as I was able to figure out). The acceleration* improvements that you'll find when you go to a lighter wheel will put a huge smile on your face. You do lose some stability, but not enough to keep you from going to the lighter wheels. ;)

*I'm employing this term the way a physicist would: meaning speeding up, slowing down, and changing direction.

psych0hans

Country flag
Psyco, other than cost what is the reason you are looking at those aftermarket wheels? Generally when one goes for an aftermarket wheel in a performance bike they want a lighter wheel. The place you linked doesn't even list weight (near as I was able to figure out). The acceleration* improvements that you'll find when you go to a lighter wheel will put a huge smile on your face. You do lose some stability, but not enough to keep you from going to the lighter wheels. ;)

*I'm employing this term the way a physicist would: meaning speeding up, slowing down, and changing direction.

Honestly, what I want to do is add a dual disc setup to the front, for no other reason apart from my obsession with dual disc front ends. I'd buy a bike that already came with one, but those didn't fit my budget here in India. So I'm trying to find a set of wheels that will let me satiate my obsession with the least possible impact on the weights of the wheels. The closest thing I could find are a set of RS125 wheels, which might be able to accommodate a dual front disc with some machining on one side, but that's about it.

Andy

Country flag
Interesting about twin disc set up, Moto 3 do it because of unsprung weight. Problem I see with twin discs on a RC is size and power, ideally you need a smaller disc(s) but it then gets problematic with caliper options.

How much did these cost you? I'm kinda scared to ask... Lol

Product code Quantity Price (including tax) Subtotal (tax included)
Product name
==================================
628314 1 ¥ 9,720 ¥ 9,720
ACTIVE XAM custom driven sprocket 520-45 Ding GALE SPEED wheel support
----------------------------------
999996 1 ¥ 650 ¥ 650
191942 1 ¥ 65,710 ¥ 65,710
GALE SPEED Forged aluminum wheels TYPR-S F 300-17 semi-gloss black 125/250 / 390DUKE
191945 1 ¥ 84,240 ¥ 84,240
GALE SPEED Forged aluminum wheels TYPR-S R 400-17 semi-gloss black 125/250 / 390DUKE
Payment total = 160,320 yen (including consumption tax 11,875 yen)

psych0hans

Country flag
Compared to the RC390 wheels, the Ninja 636 wheels seem to be not much heavier... Unless the RC390 wheels are complete with Rotors and Sprocket? Can you please confirm this Show Scarecrow?

Ninja 636 Rim weights (no tire)
Front Complete - 6.9kgs
Rear Complete - 8.4kgs

RC-390 Wheels Bare(no rotors, sprockets)
Front 4.8kg
Rear 8.3kg

Compared to the RC390 wheels, the Ninja 636 wheels seem to be not much heavier... Unless the RC390 wheels are complete with Rotors and Sprocket? Can you please confirm this Show Scarecrow?

Ninja 636 Rim weights (no tire)
Front Complete - 6.9kgs
Rear Complete - 8.4kgs

RC-390 Wheels Bare(no rotors, sprockets)
Front 4.8kg
Rear 8.3kg

Ninja 636 is a wheel rim width of 3.5 inches equipped with a double-disc rotor
Required strength of the wheel in order to be used in high speed range.
Of course the weight of the wheel is heavy
It is light with no wheel of necessary equipment and strength

psych0hans

Country flag
Actually the 636 wheel is with the Rotors, so I don't think the bare wheel will be much heavier than the bare wheel of the RC390. I've been studying the net and found the weights of a lot of Ducati wheels, most of which seem to be lighter, despite being of a bigger profile. I'll post my findings later on.

010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg003.jpg
Actually the 636 wheel is with the Rotors, so I don't think the bare wheel will be much heavier than the bare wheel of the RC390. I've been studying the net and found the weights of a lot of Ducati wheels, most of which seem to be lighter, despite being of a bigger profile. I'll post my findings later on.

Lighter is better of front wheel ASSY of RC390 of Gail speed even compared it with the hand I Marchesini M10R competition for DUCATI as another motorcycle also owns

Last edited:

booy10

can anyone take a picture of the width of the rear rims with a caliper tool to measure the width?
i have been reading a lot of info about the rear rims but i just want to have a real measure, it is for my own research. Thank you for helping me

isaac_

Wider Tires & Wheels?

can anyone take a picture of the width of the rear rims with a caliper tool to measure the width?
i have been reading a lot of info about the rear rims but i just want to have a real measure, it is for my own research. Thank you for helping me

The width of the wheel is on the wheel itself. It’s stamped on the side.