winter winterize in heated garage?

Seth

Country flag
Hi All!

I will be using a Vornato heater to keep the garage at a toasty 65 degrees this winter. What should I do with my RC while I am not riding it December thru March?

Seth

Country flag
#winning

full tank of of gas with stabil, battery tender, fresh oil, and get the tires off the ground.

I will do the full take with stabil, battery tender and tires off the ground. Can I skip the fresh oil? She is at 309 miles and not broke in yet!

sturge

I will do the full take with stabil, battery tender and tires off the ground. Can I skip the fresh oil? She is at 309 miles and not broke in yet!

I wouldn't worry about oil at 300 miles but...if I was you, I would get it done before riding season starts...you're only 300 miles from when first change is due. Do it during winter/early spring before dealers get busy when everyone is getting riding fever. When ridng season comes it's behind you and you are RIDING.

Treachery

Country flag
If you haven't changed the oil yet, read the 'first oil change' threads, and change it before you let it sit. Even if you use inexpensive oil and dump it in the spring, I think that's better than leaving break-in debris and contaminants in it to sit. You're talking a quart and change of 10W-40. If you change the filter, you can just change the oil in the spring if you want to wait until then to put in "the good stuff."

tecknojoe

Country flag
If you haven't changed the oil yet, read the 'first oil change' threads, and change it before you let it sit. Even if you use inexpensive oil and dump it in the spring, I think that's better than leaving break-in debris and contaminants in it to sit. You're talking a quart and change of 10W-40. If you change the filter, you can just change the oil in the spring if you want to wait until then to put in "the good stuff."

the manual recommends 15w-50...

Seth

Country flag
Awesome advise. I am in the process of ordering all that is needed for the oil change. I will have fun with this! Looking though the oils.. The Motul 300V is what I want as soon as my bike is broke in. The color is green and smells great and is Double Ester synthetic AND is half the price of Motorex!?! Oh yeah, I am Sold on the 100% Synthetic! On a side note... I watched a video on Youtube and possibly in KTM's defense the guy said the oil screens had done their job as none of the debris had made it into the oil filter. https://youtu.be/3dgj59T2jqI?list=PL5Lm0RniZQeM8P5U_9o9J2JOfxJGXJGrb Watch the entire video for his opinion. It seems logical but what do you all think?

sturge

Never had any vehicle with the amount of debris people are finding on first oil change. To me that means that during factory assy of these engines the cleanliness factor was substandard. The good news is the engine design includes screens to capture the debris before it gets somewhere that would result in problems.

For oil, just make sure you are using the proper spec (JASO (T903): JASO MA-2) per the RC390 manual. This spec is for 4 stroke oils specifically formulated to be used for engine lubrication AND wet clutch lubrication. There are links on this forum somewhere that provides additional info on the spec.

I found this Castrol oil locally on sale at $11.99/qt:
CASTROL - Power RS Racing 4T Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil - Synthetic - 4-Stroke Oil - Oils - Parts - Cycle Gear