Airbox lid mod + PC5

Old3

Country flag
I added a PC5 and proceeded to remove the lid from the air box cover. Damn, thats loud now.

So, figured i could snuff that intake while still giving it enough air and tried this. Works for me, bike still feels great and the nasty intake roar is gone.

i choped out the rear facing panel, leaving the screw arras intact. Then i glued a piece of closed cell foam on the top inner panel. Screwed it back together, bolted it in and happy with the results.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 386

Old3

Country flag
Oh yeah, not much time on it as it snowed again, but Chads tune feels great, beefed up the bottom, smoothed out the huge vibrations at wfo at low RPM.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I think it's stellar. If it fits your needs/noise requirements then you have done well. I am always "looking" for power. Noise is at the bottom of the concern list, intake noise that is. Exhaust note is a different story. I know a lot of street guys that put more miles on one than I would am concerned and or irritated by it, I get it. 8 lap sprint race, you never notice it. My hearing is probably slightly more desensitized than general riders too from half a lifetime of exposure. I would be very interested to see that lid mod backed to backed with the open one, comparing the fueling. I would guess, but every time I do I'm proven wrong and baffled lol. The tune I sent you in the PCV might need to be touched up just a bit for that lid config. Or it might be spot on. Either way it would be best to check if you have a good dyno near by. If you're happy with it and nothing noticeable seat of pants fueling wise, RIDE ON.

Old3

Country flag
Im happy with it but its just up and down the street so far on a 35f day. So, if you ever dyno one like this ill just pirate you new map, if it needs it.

My SE had Uni pods on 39mm FCRs but i usually only raced that when itd be wide open. Street riding i could keep the intake noise down. Did a n300 with pods and hated it. I ended up replacing the air box after awhile. Gret power, but deafening. .

motoputz

Country flag
The Foam on the inside is a simple fix and a good idea. I removed the snorkel from my air box lid, opened the hole in the lid to about twice the original size, added a stainless steel mesh to keep birds out along with a reflective surface and put in a K&N filter. I normally ride with ear plugs so the increase in noise was not that noticeable until a took a short ride across town with out the ear plugs. The excess sound does not bother me but I have a track day coming up at Laguna Seca and am worried about being to loud in the sound check zone. I will take some foam with me in-case I get a black flag for noise. I think the limit is 90dB and I know twins and singles have more trouble with it because of their lower resonance tones.

psych0hans

Country flag
Thanks for posting this, I've placed an order for a replacement airbox lid, as I don't want to cut up my original.

RC390 Fan

I like this mod idea because I'm not a big fan of the loud intake noise via lid removal. But are you sure that is "closed cell" foam? Looks open cell to me.
I added a PC5 and proceeded to remove the lid from the air box cover. Damn, thats loud now.

So, figured i could snuff that intake while still giving it enough air and tried this. Works for me, bike still feels great and the nasty intake roar is gone.

i choped out the rear facing panel, leaving the screw arras intact. Then i glued a piece of closed cell foam on the top inner panel. Screwed it back together, bolted it in and happy with the results.

Old3

Country flag
Sound damping and i never tried it without. Not scientific and if it was easier to get it on and off id have done it. What a PITA.