Andreani question

zippy49

Hi all,

I have just had a set of Andreani cartridges installed on our 390 Duke. There was no user manual included, and the preload adjusters are not what they look like. In spite of having lines on the outside, they don't move up and down when you turn them.

I found a post on a FZ site that pointed this out, that the adjusters move an internal screw that sets preload. On the Yam fork kit, the owner said to turn the adjusters CCW to full soft (until the adjuster stops) and then CW to whatever setting you want. However, when I turn the adjusters CCW I get a hard stop on the RH (rebound) side but not on the LH (compression) side. It just turns and turns. When I turn them all the way CW I get a crunchy stop on both sides, feels like the spring coils. So I took that as max preload, turned the adjusters CCW ten turns (10mm, minimum preload) and got appropriate sag numbers. Have not had a chance to ride it, though.

The shop that did the installation was not very familiar with this specific combination of fork and cartridge, so they are not much help. Anyone have some insight here?

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

The spring pre-load are definitely, internal adjustment.
You won't see the lines move.
If you are turning the larger (14mm) socket..... then they both should stop at CCW .

Then you turn them IN (CW) equal amounts.

Try starting around 2 turns in.

Check your sag measurements. Go ride, see how it feels.

If you need them a little stiffer, add a little more spring preload.

zippy49

Thanks for the answer. My mistake. I just pulled the handlebars for access and used a socket (actually it's 17mm) on a T-handle to count turns; both adjusters stop correctly. I must have lost count (and patience) when I was getting only 1/6th of a turn at a time. Took me maybe five minutes this time.

To get the balance right with wifey on board I am running zero preload for her. The Ohlins 301 is noticeably softer when she bounces on it. I note that the standard setting is 4 turns in; that would work for me.

And Wifey says she is up for a test ride!

Last edited: