Both Headlights On?

frider

Country flag
In my owner's manual (US edition) in the controls section, for "High beam on," it states, "In this position, the low beam, the high beam and the tail light are switched on." However, in reality, when the high beam is on, the low beam cuts out. Is this a faulty switch or wiring issue, or is the US model actually set up this way, and my owner's manual is wrong?

The only ways to have both lights on is to hold down the high beam flasher or to kind of put the switch halfway between low and high (though it won't stay there). For good road illumination at night, I find you really need the low beam to stay on when you switch to the high beam.

Maybe someone has found a work-around or a wiring hack to get the low beam to stay on with the high?

Ryanthegreat1

My for US market bike operates the same way.

In for more information, I would also like to run both lights at the same time.

Probably a relay mod?

Fasteddy

Country flag
In my owner's manual (US edition) in the controls section, for "High beam on," it states, "In this position, the low beam, the high beam and the tail light are switched on." However, in reality, when the high beam is on, the low beam cuts out. Is this a faulty switch or wiring issue, or is the US model actually set up this way, and my owner's manual is wrong?

The only ways to have both lights on is to hold down the high beam flasher or to kind of put the switch halfway between low and high (though it won't stay there). For good road illumination at night, I find you really need the low beam to stay on when you switch to the high beam.

Maybe someone has found a work-around or a wiring hack to get the low beam to stay on with the high?

I have been doing the same thing, holding the flash on dark roads and was contemplating this mod before I even had the bike just so it would look better with both lights. There is a relay and also a LCU Lighting control module that controls load on electrical system. Both bulbs are the same just aimed differently so I plan on trying a dual filament for the high beam, My main concern is load on electrical system, I will let you know what I come up with when I get to that project....

Fasteddy

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Trevor and I were just talking about this yesterday. I believe the manual to be wrong. Also, it looked to me that the high and low projectors are different. Typically a jumper wire is needed to have both beams on at the same time

guzz46

I've had both running at the same time before, my low beam stays on when I turn the high beam on, mines a Aus/NZ spec bike, so it must be a US thing.

Fasteddy

Country flag
There is only one wiring diagram listed for all RC 390's in the shop manual I believe, (I will have to load the CD to be sure) both bulbs are H11's listed in owners and shop manual,however, I just did the online parts search on my VIN and it shows an H9 / 65 watt for high and a H11 55 watt for low, and yes projector lenses are different. This explains why the US version has the LCU circuit is set up as high OR low. I would want to have mine so it had a dual filament 55 / 65 in the high beam position so it would not blind on coming drivers. the dual filament version has two different focal points for high and low but uses a different 'key' for the socket.

Interesting stuff...

Seth

Country flag
I want to do this mod too. I think both lights at the same time would look so cool and help grab other drivers attention.

Fasteddy

Country flag
And now that I think about it the videos I first saw both on reviews and official KTM sites were single light, high OR low not both, I have spares of both the H11 and H12 but not the H13 dual, There are also lots of cool LED options!

I like the ability to flash or switch from low to high not only to get attention of other drivers but also the legal part too...

guzz46

Here's a video of both high and low on at the same time.

[video=youtube;ENf1M-PdSfg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENf1M-PdSfg[/video]

Fasteddy

Country flag
First, I never doubted what you were saying.

Very interesting video Guzz, Noticed it could be one both or none, and as the narration says 'can turn both off to save battery' , so there are some obvious differences from the spec in the video / AUS - NZ and the USA spec, and the wiring diagram. The US Department of Transportation requires headlight to be on always, and I am "guessing" that just like the LED signals the high beam was not up to their specifications so was upgraded to a 65 watt bulb.

And yes the printed 'US' owners manual section 6.5 on headlight reads just as the online PDF EU /AUS/BR... which states both lights on in high beam.

On your bike can you turn both off?

Fasteddy

guzz46

No, that's the only difference with the Indian bike, there's no switch to turn off the headlights, they're always on.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
We also have the front turn signals NOT integrated into the mirror stalks on the US bikes...

I'm about ---><--- close to ordering a set of HID conversion ballasts and wire up some relays to make it so that I'm running HID lighting, as well as when I flip on high beam I get both lights on at the same time...

Izu

I know I am late to the party, but I am pretty clear on the scene with the Indian bike, the 2015 has a switch on the right hand side controls to turn on the headlamps. The DRL stay on always. This changed starting 2016, the headlight would stay on if the ignition was on. Also starting 2016, there was a change in the functioning of the left hand side beam switcher as well. Earlier it was both lights on or the low beam on. Since then it has been changed to low beam on or high beam on, NOT both. I have the setup with the latter part having purchased the bike in 2017.

If you always want both lights on when you switch to high beam, you can open up and rewire the switch accordingly.

Izu