Clutch basket failure.

Some of you may know that we (G-Baby Racing) had a catastrophic clutch basket failure on our bike. The result was the engine primary was locked to the transmission main shaft. (you couldn't release the clutch). It happened while one of our riders was preparing to practice the launch. Made a nice little high pitched chirp and then shortly after permanently engaged the engine and drive. Made for a great show on the hot pit road...

The failure was that the plain bearing between the clutch basket and the main shaft seized to the main shaft. It appears the failure was due to too little oil film. It was recommended to me by a KTM tech in the know that I should enlarge the plain bearing to main shaft clearance a bit by with a polishing device. Maybe if you have your clutch off you should consider this as well - a thou or so should do it.

Ryanthegreat1

The early Honda XR650R clutch basket bushings would do this too. They had a revised part number to eliminate the issue.

Sounds like there is no bushing on this application.

Ausracer

Thanks for the info greatly appreciated. As Ryan said the first XR650Rs also did this. The revised part from Honda was also drilled for oil flow. Years ago my XR failed on the start line of a dirt track race, locked in gear and jumped the gate. Honda's solution was to replace the part free of charge. I'm surprised KTM don't do the same. Again Info greatly appreciated.