Front Brake Pad Knockback

Ryanthegreat1

Is it just me or does the stock solid front rotor cause some pad knock back?

At the last track day I went to it felt like the front brake lever never started braking at the same place each corner. Sometimes the lever would be right there and the front brake would bite immediately and other times it felt like it took half the lever travel to get the pads to start biting.

I think you might attribute that behavior to pad knockback? Flexing of the components pushing the pads away from the rotor a tiny amount.

Would the upgraded floating rotor for the cup bike fix this? Anyone with experience want to chime in?

I don't think it was a fluid boiling issue, had just replaced the fluid with Motul RBF600. The lever would be nice and hard if pumped up at a stop hot or cold. It was never a mushy lever just a lot of uptake at times.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Yes if there is ANY run out in the rotor it will push the pads back since the caliper is solid mounted. Just like a bent rotor will push them back and you'll have to pump the lever to get engagement. A floating rotor takes care of that problem.

Regarding the second part on lever feel, do you have my lines on it or stock/ABS still on there?

Ryanthegreat1

Stock lines and ABS at this point. The brake feel is at least as good as the Hondas parked around it now. There is a noticeable amount of flex in the master cylinder if you really give it a squeeze.

Might have to look for a floating rotor. Is the KTM parts rotor the same as the Galfer rotor?

Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The stock lines and ABS SUCK for feel. I would put my lines on it will help too.