Gauging Interest: 415 or 428 Chain/Sprocket Kit

D

Deleted member 452

Any idea how long the 428 chain would last on the street? I would like the chain to last at least as long as the aluminum sprocket.

ToraTora

Country flag
Going to the Four One Five

I put the 415 SP sprocket kit on the Cagiva Mito some time back. I thought I had a photo of it completed, but I only seem to have these photos. The 415 is the size of a BMX chain. No o-rings. Has practically no drag compared to the larger chains. You do have to keep up with the maintenance (which you should do anyway), but other than that it's fine. GP bike (moto3, 125) have way more HP than the 390 and they run 415 chains. Now they don't run the same chain for several years. So you will have to increase your service frequency. ;)

The other thing the Micah brought up that is very important to the track guys--you have to have multiple sprockets of different sizes in order to gear the bike to the track.

IMG_3514_zpsgyzzrjaa.jpg

IMG_3515_zpsgmxmvpj7.jpg

IMG_3520_zpsckzcvg1n.jpg

IMG_3579_zpssnfo2nnb.jpg

rick

Any idea how long the 428 chain would last on the street? I would like the chain to last at least as long as the aluminum sprocket.
The, most likely, aluminum sprocket is gonna have a significantly shorter lifespan than the stock steel ones. If you buy an X or O-ring 4xx-series chain then it should last as long as the sprockets I would think. The non-o-ring chains for racing are dependent on alot more chain cleaning and lubing and don't last nearly as long but, they make some worthwhile trade-offs.

green_bread

Country flag
The last 415 chain kit I bought came with a DID chain. I cleaned it after each track/race weekend and lubed it at the start of each track day. I think I only had to tighten it once and it lasted the entire season on my Ninja 250. I doubt the results would be the same on a higher powered thumper engine, but Im just making the point that with proper maintenance and alignment, these sets can last for a while. The sprockets looked brand new at the end of the season and the rear was just aluminum. YMMV *shrugs*

D

Deleted member 452

Sounds like a 428 series o-ring chain would be my best compromise for my street bike.

ToraTora

Country flag
Really it depends on how lazy you are--if you want a install and for get it then the o-ring chains are better. If you want better performance, and have no issues with caring for the bike then the non-o-ring chains are better. ;)

The reason the liter bikes run o-rings is that they have nearly 200hp. When you are running a bike with around 50 or less hp those o-rings produce enough drag that it is an issue.

RobbiRob76

I worked as RK chain sales manager for 2 years... (Just recently left) For a street application I would have ZERO interest in this. Regards to racing? I have raced for 10 years, and the life span and maintenance most likely required for this doesn't seem to fit "Risk vs. Reward". Not saying it would not work, but breaking a chain under load, could be dangerous and expensive vs whatever lap time reduction you could directly correlate.
Just my .02 nothing more

ToraTora

Country flag
Well for sure you wouldn't want to use a crapy chain, but if you use the MotoGP Moto3 level chain (DID ERZ) it would be fine. Having run one of these setups on the Mito for several years I can say that it's not a big deal to keep it in shape on the street. These chains are expensive though. Close to $90. It's the same chain that you'll see run on all the Moto3 bikes, and on the previous 125 class. These bikes produce significantly more power and stress than the 390. If they aren't breaking chains all the time why would you expect it to be an issue with the 390? And again, I'm not talking about a 415 BMX chain, or some crapy chain.

The reason it is a big deal with regards to performance is pulling that chain makes a big difference on the smaller lower powered bikes. You probably wouldn't even ever notice it on the liter bikes because well, you probably never ride them at or near their full potential (there's no place safe to do so on the street). But the little bikes are much easier to push to their potential, and you would be more likely to realize significant benefit. On the Mito it was very noticeable.

DID 415ERX120 LINKS | Products | Parts Unlimited®

green_bread

Country flag
Well for sure you wouldn't want to use a crapy chain, but if you use the MotoGP Moto3 level chain (DID ERZ) it would be fine. Having run one of these setups on the Mito for several years I can say that it's not a big deal to keep it in shape on the street. These chains are expensive though. Close to $90. It's the same chain that you'll see run on all the Moto3 bikes, and on the previous 125 class. These bikes produce significantly more power and stress than the 390. If they aren't breaking chains all the time why would you expect it to be an issue with the 390? And again, I'm not talking about a 415 BMX chain, or some crapy chain.

The reason it is a big deal with regards to performance is pulling that chain makes a big difference on the smaller lower powered bikes. You probably wouldn't even ever notice it on the liter bikes because well, you probably never ride them at or near their full potential (there's no place safe to do so on the street). But the little bikes are much easier to push to their potential, and you would be more likely to realize significant benefit. On the Mito it was very noticeable.

DID 415ERX120 LINKS | Products | Parts Unlimited®

This... I concur.

D

Deleted member 452

Just looked at my chain last night and measured the stretch- It needs to be replaced after only 6.5K miles. I ordered a DID 520 ERV3, Superlite steel front sprocket W/Matching Superlite S7 steel rear sprocket for $209 from Chad at Sprocket Center. It should last a long time, reduce friction, and save a little weight compared to stock.

D

Deleted member 452

I was hoping it would last longer than 10 months but so be it...

green_bread

Country flag
so still no one make a 415 drive train for racing?

I found someone who does within the last couple weeks! I purchased the very first set that they have had produced today and it should be here in 4-5 days. Im going to do some weight comparisons between a 520 setup (stock and with aluminum rear sprockets) and the 415 setup. Planning to post info here after I have run it for a weekend and put it through its paces.

the 428 chain seems like a good option. I'm worried about durability on the 415.

I have my next track day coaching/race weekend coming up in 2 weeks, so Ill report back and let you guys know how it goes! As long as all goes as well as expected, Ill have them post the link on their site and let you guys know where you can get the kit.

green_bread

Country flag
Still working with the company to get everything sorted out on the 415 kit. I received the kit on Saturday but the manufacturer messed up cutting the teeth/grooves in the center of the front sprocket, so they are having to remake them. Sounds like they are about 3 weeks out, right now. I will update more when I can.

isaac_

Still working with the company to get everything sorted out on the 415 kit. I received the kit on Saturday but the manufacturer messed up cutting the teeth/grooves in the center of the front sprocket, so they are having to remake them. Sounds like they are about 3 weeks out, right now. I will update more when I can.

Yo - let me know when you test this. Interested.

green_bread

Country flag
Yo - let me know when you test this. Interested.

Most definitely! I have a feeling there are a LOT of people out there who are interested. Ill be doing as much of a full write up, etc, as possible and posting here - as well as a few FB groups, etc. ;-) The company Ive been working with has been phenomenal with their customer service. Its just the manufacturer that they are working with that screwed up. More info to come as soon as I get the new front sprocket! :)

neonmarine

Definitely interested. If I can’t find anything in the states, I’ll get something from Europe. I’m track only on my 2017 RC390.