General impressions and warrantyfrom ditching the stock shock for an r6 unit and doin

Rcdan

Hello everyone just joined today and wanted to post on my experience with my 2016 rc 390. The bike I was manufactured on 3/16 so I am hoping it has any updates or maybe even some of the issues resolved. The fan is quiet and comes on three bars before the hot line. It has never gotten any hotter than this. I received a very nice zippered case with my owners manual, spare key and a KTM pen. I don't know what warranty you guys have been getting but mine stated 2 years or 24,000 miles. This gives me a little more piece of mind. But so far I have not had any issues at all and the bike seems fairly well put together. The dealership has been good so far and I will have them do the first service next week just to protect the warranty.

Aside from having already ditched the stock shock for an r6 one. I plan on doing the air box mod and cjwells pcv and map and then just riding the hell out of it. Really liking it so far especially with the new shock. And to be honest if I had not read some of the problems others have been having I would call it a quality bike.

Rcdan

Yes I am in the U.S. And I checked my warranty again. It is 24 months or 24,000 miles.

rick

That would be amazing since this bike, in my experience, needs the extra coverage!
KTM is still showing 1 year/12,000 miles on their website for 2016 RC390's in the USA though. The PDF of the warranty is available here (direct link) via KTM warranty info (the 1190 and 1290 are 2-year/24,000 miles though).

Last edited:

simpletty

Country flag
I bought extra warranty for 4 years with 100$ deductable over and above the ktm warranty. Looks like I will be needing it sooner than later. I have 671km and the warranty expires in august this year. Bikes been down since may and no idea when it will be back yet. Horror show for sure.

rick

I also bought the extended 4-year/unlimited mileage warranty. Sadly, and at the current rate, it'll probably be well worth it.

Metals 907

I opted out of any extra waranties. I figure if the bike has any manufacturer defects i'd surely be able to coax them outo in a year's time.

cornerslider

I may regret this, and jinx myself...... I got my 2016 RC390 about 3 weeks ago. I have almost 800 miles on it (including one track day). I did upgrade the front & rear suspension, and added a PCV, as well as other assorted "bling". I do all my own work on my bikes, and a gave this one bit more attention to detail than my other bikes- given the horror stories I've heard about this bike... Anyway- I have to say that so far, I'm REALLY impressed with this bike. It has EXCEEDED my unreasonably high expectations. I checked my valves at 600 miles, and they were spot-on, right in the middle of the range. Could the build quality be better- yeah, sure.... For $5499 MSRP, your not going to get BMW quality/reliability, and Ducati HP. I think KTM has done REALLY well with this bike. It beats the crap out of everything in it's class! I bought my wife a CBR250R a couple years ago. The CBR is a REALLY nice bike, that will surely outlast my RC390. The CBR250R is better built, easier to ride, and vibrates less. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to modify, and cheaper to insure.... So why didn't I just buy a CBR250R you ask? Because (like most of us here) I wanted MORE! I wanted more HP, better handling, and a rough-around-the-edges track bike that qualifies for a license plate. I bought this bike not even knowing what the warranty was? I do however like the post/pic above stating 2 years/24,000 miles. Just the thought of getting 24,000 miles out of a single cylinder motorcycle would be awesome!!! I just looked through all my stuff, and I got nothing that looks like that? Where would I find the warranty certificate? Just curious, as I'm pretty sure my modifications would probably VOID my warranty anyway-

Rcdan

As I stated in another thread maybe. I received a very classy looking large zippered folder with all paperwork and the manual in it at the time of purchase. I was also surprised by the warranty and asked more than once to verify it. Just to insure no problems in the event of a warranty issue I am letting the dealer do the first service.