Hate my RC?

UpstateNY

Country flag
I must be missing something, but so far I am really regretting my purchase. Bought the RC to make into a track bike, but so far I'm really disappointed. I own a Ducati 748 and 998, and I didn't expect the RC to compare to those, but so far I'm really let down. Just did my 600 mile valve check, and had to adjust both exhaust valves (to be fair, they were both at the limit on the tight side, but leaving them there didn't seem like a good idea if they are already tightening up at 600miles...). Working on this bike is not really enjoyable. What is with that rubber bib? I put it back, but man does that thing suck. Can anyone tell me what it's for? I'd love to not have to put it back in. Broke the fuel filter and sprayed fuel everywhere when the pump primed...probably my fault, fine.

But the fairings? Seriously? Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong, but I cannot get these damn things back on right. The plastic tank shroud never seems to line up with the bolt holes that the fairings also use. And the very front fastener, with the metal nut plate...can anyone get that thing back in? Broke two of the plastic rivets as well...seemed as well lined up as any other holes, but when pushing the shank back in...two of the bodies just broke.

Ready to race seems like like a ridiculous tag line to me right now...it takes me forever to get the damn plastics on a and off! Really makes me appreciate the Ducatis. Those plastic come off in less than 5 mins, and go back on too!

PLEASE TELL ME IM DOING SOMETHING WRONG! I want to love this bike. So far, I'm only very frustrated and starting to regret the purchase...

Last edited:

Michelle

Hello there

I do feel for you because not long ago I bought my rc 390 , I have not really ridden it that much because I am waiting for it to go into the ktm dealer to have the valves adjusted.
I do normally do this myself but the first time I checked them I was in a rush and screwed it up.
So anyway I checked mine last Saturday and the two intakes are 0.06 and the other 0.07 , Exhaust are 0.11 and 0.12 :( so I have to wait now till the 23rd of this month before he can fit it in.
I did book it into another ktm dealer but since found out he had bad reviews so I decided to go with Jim Aim Ktm dealer as I have not heard anything but good stuff about this guy...

I know I can do this job myself but as I have spent so much on the bike I rather the dealer do it this time ;),, I have to say I LOVE this bike when I can ride it :mad: ,, but it does worry me hearing about all these blown head gaskets...
I do not think I am that skilled to replace one myself ,, anyway yeah the first time I took mine apart , took me 2 and a half hours , where as Saturday took me less than an hour and I was ready to work on it...
That bib rubber thing is a pain in the rear , I just cut mine out and put it back best as I could ,, I think you just have to be gentle with the bike ,, I did notice when I was taking it apart everything was not tight at all so I think you have to really watch not to over tighten stuff...

I think the bike is like marmite , you either love it or hate it :rolleyes: :cool:

Michelle

Hi amirossi21

You have not taken your tank off then cos you would know what we are taking about ;) ,, Its a rubber bib mat that covers the top of all the engine ,, I think someone said its to stop the heat getting to the tank unless I read it wrong.
Anyway its just all tie wrapped in ,, you have to really cut it all out then I just put mine back in best as I could,, just sit it on top of the engine ,, its just a rubber peace of mat.

rick

The bib is the rubber flap that covers the top of the engine to shield the gas tank. I think most people cut it out and get rid of it because it's in the way and hard to remove in one piece. As for the body work, it's a mess of different sized fasteners and odd to assemble bits but you'll get used to it and it'll be pretty quick with some practice. I think enough of the pop-rivets were hard enough to get in and breakage prone that I stopped using (most) of them and it never seemed to affect fit or vibration.

cornerslider

The rubber sheet that covers the top of the engine. I can't give a picture because the only way to see it is to remove the bodywork @ tank-

rompus

I just wrote a raving review on my RC. I ride a 748 myself and also a 900ss, so I know where you are coming from. Going in I knew the bike had issues but for me the fun factor is much more important. Turn in and corner speed is just a blast on this thing,Give the thing a chance, I admit if it was my only bike I would not have bought it, not a glowing appraisal but with other bikes to ride if she goes down I have something else to ride.

Last edited:

UpstateNY

Country flag
Well i have a track day this Saturday (though the forecast calls for heavy rain, so we'll see). I'm hoping to have a blast, in which case I will report back with my change of heart. I think my early impressions were a mix of frustration over the body work and fears of head gaskets and comments about the suspension. First track day so I plan to take it easy, but if i have a good time, I might opt for a new rear shock. Just frustrated that what I thought was going to be an inexpensive entry to the track has become more expensive and a bit more frustrating than I was hoping for. Haven't given up yet though!

isaac_

Well i have a track day this Saturday (though the forecast calls for heavy rain, so we'll see). I'm hoping to have a blast, in which case I will report back with my change of heart. I think my early impressions were a mix of frustration over the body work and fears of head gaskets and comments about the suspension. First track day so I plan to take it easy, but if i have a good time, I might opt for a new rear shock. Just frustrated that what I thought was going to be an inexpensive entry to the track has become more expensive and a bit more frustrating than I was hoping for. Haven't given up yet though!

NYST or Palmer? Palmer with TTD just got cancelled. Ever ride with TTD or stop by NHMS for a race weekend?

Once you ditch the extra fasteners and excess weight, the bike is fun to ride. Even if it's a PITA to work on.

I had the same fears when researching but give it a chance as I find it a real hoot to ride on the track.
Fast enough to give a thrill but not too fast to intimidate
My first track day was a stock standard bike with just the rear shock preload cranked up to 7 and it was a blast.

After your first day you will find things that that you would like to improve, brake pads, suspension, tyres etc all great improvements but not essential at the start.

About the valves being out of adjustment, come to find out the valve retainers are stretching and the clips seat deeper into the retainers almost instantly after replacing with OEM. There are some titanium retainers out there that should help the valve adjust problem significantly. I have been racing mine for over a year now and find this to be the weak point. Also replacing the head gasket and milling the head is a good idea as well.

Michelle

Thanks for the info snaggletooth77x

I have only had my bike a few weeks and I dare not ride it now as all the valves are tight :( ,, my boss has very kindly offered me a van to take the bike down to the Ktm dealer a week Tuesday 23rd.
I don,t want to ride it over in case I cause any damage to it . It would be nice to just ride it because I have spent so much money on it already.
And I am just not good enough to be dropping the engine out to have that kind of work done on it.... That would cost me ££££ tooooooooo much ,, for now I will just ride it when it comes back from the dealship , and have some fun on it like I should be doing now :rolleyes:... Thank for letting us know though :))))))))))))))

rompus

Thanks for the info snaggletooth77x

I have only had my bike a few weeks and I dare not ride it now as all the valves are tight :( ,, my boss has very kindly offered me a van to take the bike down to the Ktm dealer a week Tuesday 23rd.
I don,t want to ride it over in case I cause any damage to it . It would be nice to just ride it because I have spent so much money on it already.
And I am just not good enough to be dropping the engine out to have that kind of work done on it.... That would cost me ££££ tooooooooo much ,, for now I will just ride it when it comes back from the dealship , and have some fun on it like I should be doing now :rolleyes:... Thank for letting us know though :))))))))))))))

What do you mean the valves are tight? How did you determine that?

UpstateNY

Country flag
Just wanted to report back...wound up running on Sunday rather than Saturday. Let's say bc of weather Anyway, had a blast and would recommend NYST to anyone in the area. Manny is pretty awesome as an instructor. Had a good time, bike and I made it home in one piece. Not seasoned enough to know what I "need" to upgrade, but already got some EBC HH's to put on, and may do a rear shock upgrade bc I hear it is night and day. But I would agree that it is really not needed for just starting out. The equipment exceeds my skill, but your mileage may vary.