Head gasket fail at 120 mile

GOJO

head gasket failed on the rc dealer said when i bought it that if i had it serviced with them even though they knew i was going to track it they would honour warranty, i had the ecu flashed by them as i put a pipe and air filter on it 60 mile later the bike almost doesnt start and then over heats. Now the dealer says its not warranty as its had the ecu flashed ? Ok so i buy some bits from America in the mean time i email the dealer high lighting my dissapointment with them and that i'll probably inform ktm uk, so they ring me the next day and tell me to bring the bike down and they will sort it i, said a bit late now ive ordered my own parts "no problem bring them we can fit them too" i'll bet i thought, so after my bits being stuck in customs 3 weeks i decided to pull the motor and strip the head the fail iimage.jpgs clear and to my surprise there has being some foreign object clamped between the surfaces which has undoubtably caused the failure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 573

Diploman

The small orange object might be simply a piece of fiber gasket that tore off during disassembly and stuck to the head.

GOJO

The object is squashed to the head gasket its clearly been in there from build and its position happens to be adjacent the blow on the gasket

GOJO

Which bits have you purchased to fix the problem?
cometic gasket kit , shorter spark plug, permatex gasket spray, few other bits manual cam chain adjuster , valve collets and retainers , gear selector detent arm , thought i may try and increase its life span while its in bits.

GOJO

Lame.

Akra flash should not void warranty either

I'd still get the shop to do it under warranty.

In honesty id rather do it myself and know its done right, including having the head skimmed , and get the valve seats cut properly , and i want to smooth out the crude casting inside the exhaust port.

GOJO

Went this way myself and it didn't solve the problem, lasted less than 1hr before going again...just a heads-up for you.

Im also having the head skimmed i have permatex to use on assembly , samco hoses with thermostat delete , spal fan 1.6 bar rad cap , spaced the rad forward and ive bought a spare rad that ive sent off to have a custom made alloy one with a deeper core to keep the heat under control.