How many miles + problems thread

Fasteddy

Country flag
....Of course, the KTM tool for that is hella expensive.

So why not remove sensor, put mechanical gauge in it's place, test..... It's how It did it all the time. metric fittings available at Autozone etc. Would have been first test done back at the shop I worked at.

D. Flynn

Dumb question since I have never had anything at the dealer for warranty... When the warranty ends in October, if the problem continues, should I expect they won't warranty? I'm expecting the answer to be "NO"

simpletty

Country flag
Dumb question since I have never had anything at the dealer for warranty... When the warranty ends in October, if the problem continues, should I expect they won't warranty? I'm expecting the answer to be "NO"

Seems like basic diagnosis isn't being done correctly. Step 1 would have been to hook up a mechanical gauge and rule out a mechanical fault not start part swapping. They cannot deny warranty on a pre-existing condition. If your shop says it's fixed but it starts happening again take it elsewhere. Ktm needs to start cracking down on these dealers who parts replace and deny the claims so they smarten up and do proper diag. I was in the same boat recently and bike was gone for two months. Kept throwing parts at it and nothing was getting fixed. I finally had enough and said either fix it today or give me another bike as replacement. They ended up using the showroom bike as a donor and finally fixed it. Stick to your guns and tell the dealer they need to do the "basics" to rule out everything. Even better if you have somewhere else to take it I suggest doing so. Seems like your dealer isn't really up to speed on how to repair

stevieboy

Country flag
Just because I'm well into my second month at the dealer with a Low Oil Pressure warning light: FWIW, first they replaced the oil pressure sensor and it kept happening, then they replaced the oil pump and it kept happening. They're up to replacing the entire dashboard but, I haven't gotten an update from them on that yet. From my perspective, they been replacing parts in order of the least to the most expensive. Seems like it would have been easier to do an oil pressure test and eliminate mechanical issues in the first place. Of course, the KTM tool for that is hella expensive.

Wouldn't you think a KTM dealer would have the proper tools?

rick

Heh, I would. personally I would have just bought a new oil filter cover, put a fitting on it and attached a gauge for an order of magnitude less money. They way the dealer talks suggests that KTM was doing some of the diagnosis or the decision making over the phone. I'm up to 41 days on this repair (133/306 total days broken down(43.5%)).

D. Flynn

Seems like basic diagnosis isn't being done correctly. Step 1 would have been to hook up a mechanical gauge and rule out a mechanical fault not start part swapping. They cannot deny warranty on a pre-existing condition. If your shop says it's fixed but it starts happening again take it elsewhere. Ktm needs to start cracking down on these dealers who parts replace and deny the claims so they smarten up and do proper diag. I was in the same boat recently and bike was gone for two months. Kept throwing parts at it and nothing was getting fixed. I finally had enough and said either fix it today or give me another bike as replacement. They ended up using the showroom bike as a donor and finally fixed it. Stick to your guns and tell the dealer they need to do the "basics" to rule out everything. Even better if you have somewhere else to take it I suggest doing so. Seems like your dealer isn't really up to speed on how to repair

In my case. They say the low oil pressure light didn't come on in 60 miles they put on it. They are changing the neutral switch since they noticed that, but the original problem couldn't be duplicated. KTM said if it happens again, confirm oil level through the sight glass and keep riding. Doesn't inspire confidence with around 600 miles on the bike. I may have to chase the problem, but don't feel I should have to (warranty). Just asking the community if it turns out to be a serious issue after out of warranty in October, would warranty still cover it since it was brought in for the same problem?

Fasteddy

Country flag
Just curious, what was the issue with the "neutral switch" (which this bike doesn't really have, it has a 'gear position sensor' that also indicates neutral) and is buried under the left side engine cover and requires removing cover / flywheel / starter drive gear etc.???

Edwardp33

Country flag
I have 6800 mostly trouble free miles. Had a crack in the exhaust pipe and blown countershaft seal because the dealer overfilled my oil. Both were covered under warranty. I have tended to to pin the throttle after every corner and, my two issues notwi[FONT=San Francisco, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, .SFNSText-Regular, sans-serif]thstanding, have been pleased with reliability to date. One cannot ignore the need to replace a head gasket although so far so good with mine. The bike definitely needs an investment in upgrades to be track worthy. I have made many upgrades and have little else left to upgrade. My 390 is awesomely fun. I also regularly check bolts for tightness and my kickstand got really loose the first month. [/FONT]

KTMGene390

So my motor is out and partially disassembled for service and upgrades. First thing I found out was where the oil leak was coming from. It's coming from the shift shaft seal, it was leaking half a quart of oil in my belly pan in a short period of time. Also, I noticed what looks like, but can't be sure a head gasket failure in progress. The motor has 5,300 miles and one trackday.

I'm providing 3 photos for reference:

1) First photo shows the oil leak.

2) Second photo shows the cylinder head off. Note the excessive carbon deposits on the top of the piston this is due to a richer air fuel ratio to keep the motor running cool.

3) Third photo is a zoomed-in close-up of the cylinder head gasket which looks like it was in the process of failing, but had not yet failed.

MotoKam

Wouldn't you think a KTM dealer would have the proper tools?

I don't know if they have the proper tools, but my KTM dealer has a poster on their waiting room wall with about 15 different meanings for KTM. They were all derogatory and left me with the feeling that they hate KTMs and the people who buy them.

I stopped by another dealer to buy oil for my RC390 and they not only didn't know what type of oil it takes, they said they had never heard of 15w50 and never stocked it.

I will never return to my local KTM dealer or trust them with my bike again.

All of the work I have done is performed in my garage by me. I suggest we all do the same.

cornerslider

I don't know if they have the proper tools, but my KTM dealer has a poster on their waiting room wall with about 15 different meanings for KTM. They were all derogatory and left me with the feeling that they hate KTMs and the people who buy them.

I stopped by another dealer to buy oil for my RC390 and they not only didn't know what type of oil it takes, they said they had never heard of 15w50 and never stocked it.

I will never return to my local KTM dealer or trust them with my bike again.

All of the work I have done is performed in my garage by me. I suggest we all do the same.

Well put MotoKam- I couldn't agree more!!!! These bikes are relatively easy to work on. IMHO, most dealers will NEVER care about your bike like you do. They are a business, and need to make money. While I understand that, and even AGREE with that..... I beleive that most dealers probably won't give my bike the same attention to detail as I do-

Topaz

Country flag
^^^^ It's true that they're a business and need to make money, but doing a decent job should be part of the business.
The problem with service at dealers is that dealers make money mainly out of selling bikes, not servicing or repairing, so their business model for service is save as much as possible on techs and charge as much as possible to the customer.
The only reason why it works is because people keep thinking that servicing the bike at the dealer is ALWAYS better than doing it at a shop, and that is not NECESSARILY true.

stevieboy

Country flag
My Yamaha dealer must be an aberration. He deals on bikes and does great service work for a fair price.
Local KTM dealer on the other hand has given me nothing but incorrect advice followed up with a "who cares about proper intervals, if it breaks you get it fixed under warranty."

Sigrid

Didn't even make it home from the dealer Saturday. Just paid cash, she had seven miles on her, had trouble shifting up into 3rd right off. Decided to stay local and shake it out a bit, see if just needs to warm up a bit. Well, it did warm up to five bars but the the shifting didn't get any better, in fact started having trouble up-shifting to 4th a few times, not real fun in traffic. And then she got warmer, eight bars. Decided to turn around and head back to dealer. And it got warmer. The fan came on with a few blocks to go, 10 bars. Eased her into dealer and coasted her in, 11 bars, smelled hot.

Service said they would look at it Monday, give me a call. Crab!

simpletty

Country flag
Didn't even make it home from the dealer Saturday. Just paid cash, she had seven miles on her, had trouble shifting up into 3rd right off. Decided to stay local and shake it out a bit, see if just needs to warm up a bit. Well, it did warm up to five bars but the the shifting didn't get any better, in fact started having trouble up-shifting to 4th a few times, not real fun in traffic. And then she got warmer, eight bars. Decided to turn around and head back to dealer. And it got warmer. The fan came on with a few blocks to go, 10 bars. Eased her into dealer and coasted her in, 11 bars, smelled hot.

Service said they would look at it Monday, give me a call. Crab!

IF IT requires a teardown I would either
A) Get my money back and buy another bike
B) Have them give you another new one off the floor.
C) If they don't have a new one, get your money back and search out another dealer if you still want an RC. ]]
I had difficulties with mine from the start and if I would have known better I would have requestd a replacement
I have since converted it into a race only unit with plenty of upgrades and it really is a blast on the track to ride. I made that decision since I have three other street legal bikes in my garage to ride,so a fourth was not really needed for the street.

Good luck

Sigrid

IF IT requires a teardown I would either
A) Get my money back and buy another bike
B) Have them give you another new one off the floor.
C) If they don't have a new one, get your money back and search out another dealer if you still want an RC. ]]
I had difficulties with mine from the start and if I would have known better I would have requestd a replacement
I have since converted it into a race only unit with plenty of upgrades and it really is a blast on the track to ride. I made that decision since I have three other street legal bikes in my garage to ride,so a fourth was not really needed for the street.

Good luck

Thanks for the advise Simple. They did have one more on the floor that they just received and wasn't ready to be sold. My sales guy said they would hold my paperwork and potentially switch me over to the other RC but I imagine they will not want to do that unless I press them, we'll see.

Not my first KTM, still riding my supermoto'd '08 450 EXCR, she has been fairly trouble free for over 15,000 miles. If you browse that forum you would think these things are total pieces of junk, but there are so many thousands out there and just a small fraction are on the forum sorting out their troubles. Lots of good info in there to mine, just have to keep perspective. On the road these bikes are bad-ass, lots of fun!

Ride on.

simpletty

Country flag
Thanks for the advise Simple. They did have one more on the floor that they just received and wasn't ready to be sold. My sales guy said they would hold my paperwork and potentially switch me over to the other RC but I imagine they will not want to do that unless I press them, we'll see.

Not my first KTM, still riding my supermoto'd '08 450 EXCR, she has been fairly trouble free for over 15,000 miles. If you browse that forum you would think these things are total pieces of junk, but there are so many thousands out there and just a small fraction are on the forum sorting out their troubles. Lots of good info in there to mine, just have to keep perspective. On the road these bikes are bad-ass, lots of fun!

Ride on.

Go with the switch out unless its something really simple. Sounds like this repair will require the engine to come out...then play the waiting game. Personally, I bought the thing to ride, not sit torn apart right on the day of delivery

chrisdigital21

1600 MIles, Services up to date and not a issue yet. Well, Actually......... When I was doing the first service I noticed slight oil weaping from the cylinder base gasket and head gasket in the front, but it was just enough for dust to stick to it. Also, Today I went to start my bike to go get some lunch and it caked, popped and stalled, then it would not start, just crank and pop. I shut the Key Off and turned it back on and it fired up. I rode to subway and back and it seemed ok. Other then that, It has been great.