Interesting oil leak? with Video!

perzbenz

Currently my bike has about 2000 miles on it. When it was at about 200 miles I noticed an oil leak coming from this bolt area. I took it to the dealer and they had it for a week and said that the oil was just chain lube. Today I was doing some cleaning and had the side cover removed and put it back on. Turned the bike on and some oil was dripping out of the same spot previously. So I took off the side cover and started it up.

Last edited:

Ryanthegreat1

That is a through hole to the case. You have to have a bolt in that hole to close it. 100% normal.

They don't typically leak when the chain cover is installed with a bolt in that hole. Could always put a dab of your favorite sealer on the threads before assembly.

perzbenz

That is a through hole to the case. You have to have a bolt in that hole to close it. 100% normal.

They don't typically leak when the chain cover is installed with a bolt in that hole. Could always put a dab of your favorite sealer on the threads before assembly.

Its still leaking with the bolt in, however I did use a sealer to band aide it up for 200 miles and it worked fine but thought it wasn't normal. But if that's how it is then I guess that's how it is :p

Last edited:

green_bread

Country flag
It should not be leaking from there. Its normal for oil to come out of there with the cover/bolts removed as Ryan said, but with the bolt/cover on, there should be no oil coming from there. Take it back to the dealer and make them deal with it if its leaking when it shouldnt be. Hopefully, your bike is still under warranty.

Does the bolt thread in to that hole properly? IE: The threads arent stripped, right? Thats the only way I can really see a way for it to leak with the bolt/cover installed.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I continue to be amazed at how many dealers don't understand the 390 motor. If you pulled the cover even you would SEE it's a through hole and that, YUP, this will leak if it's not got a bolt in there.

Ryanthegreat1

There is no gasket behind or under that bolt hole. So replacing the gasket is a waste of time.

A dab of RTV would put a stop to any seepage you might be getting around the threads.

Or you are chasing a leak from something else. Maybe a porous or cracked case cover. Possibly just chain lube getting warm and flinging off.

perzbenz

There is no gasket behind or under that bolt hole. So replacing the gasket is a waste of time.

A dab of RTV would put a stop to any seepage you might be getting around the threads.

Or you are chasing a leak from something else. Maybe a porous or cracked case cover. Possibly just chain lube getting warm and flinging off.

Checked it yesterday. Just is RTV on the threads so looks like that's really all it was going on. They most likely just claimed the ignition cover for that .5hr warranty flag, lol. Just wanted to be sure!

On the flipside. Just ordered TYGA rear sets and TYGA top triple clamp clipons from Formula 390.

perzbenz

Parts came in from Formula 390. Finished up installing them last night. Tyga rear sets, Tyga triple tree & clipons and Tyga axle slivers
vt2jbv7.jpg

Last edited: