JRi Double Adjustable Remote received

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The JRi also has a smaller rod and is a lighter design. As I understand a completely new design and the Penske is their normal usual design converted to fit the 390(laymans terms)

The JRi shock for the 390 is a standard JRi design. But, it incorporates absolute correct stroke, extended length, and damping curves for the 390 suspension design. Not a different JRi shock design modified to fit.

It's been pretty spectacular. It's better than the R6 swap shock, which was already a significant upgrade over the stock shock. The JRI is that much better again. I've been really impressed with how it's handling. Of course, you best update the front end too... I have GOT to get the steering damper prototype finished too. Once I got the suspension sorted out and started really pushing the bike that front end twitchiness has really started to drive me crazy.

fH2S044ZHRl_nYufNQ1dLGmg0IPsHlkBXMaGxymHgCI=w1680-h945-no

lwyqfMrTCPzOHmPKloh_HQ-KS0gd7TUH5iifmr7fDm4=w1680-h945-no

psych0hans

Country flag
Looking good!!! Now only if it came in Orange... Lol

It's been pretty spectacular. It's better than the R6 swap shock, which was already a significant upgrade over the stock shock. The JRI is that much better again. I've been really impressed with how it's handling. Of course, you best update the front end too... I have GOT to get the steering damper prototype finished too. Once I got the suspension sorted out and started really pushing the bike that front end twitchiness has really started to drive me crazy.

fH2S044ZHRl_nYufNQ1dLGmg0IPsHlkBXMaGxymHgCI=w1680-h945-no

lwyqfMrTCPzOHmPKloh_HQ-KS0gd7TUH5iifmr7fDm4=w1680-h945-no

micahpearlman

Mine is sitting in the living room, I'll be installing it tomorrow. Any tips for making the swap easier?

The whole chain guard thing is a PITA. Like 10 bolts holding it on and a couple are not too easy access. Other then that I use car stands on the pegs to hold it all up.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Mine is sitting in the living room, I'll be installing it tomorrow. Any tips for making the swap easier?

Have a lot of curse words and band-aids at the ready... ;) LOL

If you've never done it before, having a second person there can be helpful with balancing things, getting bolts aligned, handing a tool, etc... Plus you'll need a second person, or two, there when you do your sag setup anyway.

To remove the stock shock you'll pull the chain guard and rear hugger. You should be able to get the stock shock off without pulling the wheel or exhaust. With the R6 shock you have to pull both, but not going to the JRI.

If you have a means of hanging the bike up by the frame that'll make your life MUCH easier. I use a pair of ratchet straps to eye bolts in the ceiling which were pre-drilled and gorilla glued into the rafters. Strap the front end down to your workstand through the bottom of the triple tree, or if you don't have one then use either a front end stand or make a wheel chock our of some 2x4s to box the front wheel and provide outriggers so the bike can't tip to the side... this is because once you raise the rear and remove the rear shock the bike can tip, so you need to anchor the front end.

Put the rear end on a stand. You can then raise the rear frame just enough to SLIGHTLY come off the rear stand. That way, when you remove the shock, it moves away a few MM but nothing dramatic when you pull the bolts. Unload the rear suspension bolts just enough that you can remove them, then pull the shock out... You can then raise the rear a bit (assuming you dial in your ride height before putting the shock on) to get the bolts to line back up again with your new ride height.

KTMGene390

Nice shock! I have the WP rear shock and while the dampening is great the spring is very, very soft. I'm 130 lbs in gear and it's borderline. The WP front forks are about right for my weight, maybe a little too soft.

If anyone knows what is up with the rear end of this bike because it slides out very easily when cornering aggressively? I think maybe because of the 110/70 & 150/60 tire combo? Or the fact there is no linkage or not enough weight on the rear? Currently it's 55/45 weight distribution.

guzz46

Nice shock! I have the WP rear shock and while the dampening is great the spring is very, very soft. I'm 130 lbs in gear and it's borderline. The WP front forks are about right for my weight, maybe a little too soft.

If anyone knows what is up with the rear end of this bike because it slides out very easily when cornering aggressively? I think maybe because of the 110/70 & 150/60 tire combo? Or the fact there is no linkage or not enough weight on the rear? Currently it's 55/45 weight distribution.

Do you mean you have the stock shock? If so I find it strange that you find it soft, I weigh 158 lbs in street clothes and with the preload on position 7 its just about spot on for my weight, unless the American spec bike has a softer spring than the NZ spec bike?

An easy experiment you could try for the rear end grip is lowering the rear tyre pressure, I've got mine at 25psi.

KTMGene390

Do you mean you have the stock shock? If so I find it strange that you find it soft, I weigh 158 lbs in street clothes and with the preload on position 7 its just about spot on for my weight, unless the American spec bike has a softer spring than the NZ spec bike?

An easy experiment you could try for the rear end grip is lowering the rear tyre pressure, I've got mine at 25psi.

I have the aftermarket WP suspension front and rear. The stock rear shock is literally the worst stock shock in history! It's both too soft in its initial travel AND too stiff when compressed due to the progressive nature of the spring. Let's not even talk about dampening, no such dampening exist worth talking about. I don't know who's in charge at KTM's quality control department but if I were that junk would have no chance getting past me! I understand that it's a budget bike, I've owned a Ninja 250, let me tell you the stock shock on it is light years better than the RC390's.

Rant off. I'll try 25 psi in the rear. Currently it's at 27 psi cold front & rear and slides quite easily. I already know for sure my rear ride height is to high. Setup, setup I know. If only I'd have time as I'm constantly disassembling my bike to do anything on it as is the nature working on this KTM RC 390. I love my bike though!

psych0hans

Country flag
Hi Matt, is this comparison with a rebuilt R6 shock or a stock R6 shock? Do you think rebuilding the shock with new valving would make a difference?

It's not your tire size. What tires are you running? What is your swing arm angle?

KTMGene390

It's not your tire size. What tires are you running? What is your swing arm angle?

Currently I'm running the stock tires. I have a set of Dunlop alpha 13 tires in stock size I'm putting on next. I know for sure the Dunlop's will make a difference it's just I feel they will just mask handling/setup problems much like a steering dampener cranked up to the max. The thing is the bike did the exact same thing stock only much, much worst! I feel it has to be the spring on the rear shock still being too soft (7.25 nm). I will check sag of course as I just installed these suspension parts not too long ago. The front WP frorks are actually really good with awesome feedback and interesting has 7.5 nm springs.

I feel it has to be the spring on the rear shock still being too soft (7.25 nm). I will check sag of course as I just installed these suspension parts not too long ago. The front WP frorks are actually really good with awesome feedback and interesting has 7.5 nm springs.

If I may -
I'd try a .85-.9 spring up front and a 9-11(550-600b) on the rear. Then get the rider sag correct. If you need more than 10-15 mm of preload on the rear, consider a heavier spring. Definitely raise the rear shock length around 10mm for a start. I think the race rubber will help as well + watch the pressure. I find these bikes are very sensitive to tire pressure.

KTMGene390

If I may -
I'd try a .85-.9 spring up front and a 9-11(550-600b) on the rear. Then get the rider sag correct. If you need more than 10-15 mm of preload on the rear, consider a heavier spring. Definitely raise the rear shock length around 10mm for a start. I think the race rubber will help as well + watch the pressure. I find these bikes are very sensitive to tire pressure.

Yeah, I agree stiffer springs are the way to go. Heck even my '12 Ninja 250 had something like an 8-9 spring in the rear and I added one more notch of preload. I knew before buying the WP suspension it was going to be on the soft side, but I wanted to feel/learn what it was going to be like. Too many people look for magic setups to skip learning about proper setup. I'll give your recommendations a try as soon as I can afford to, I've already spent more money than anyone who doesn't care for small bikes would. :)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I've signed a dealer agreement with JRi, and have negotiated with them to be able to do a group buy offering for the shock at a deeply discounted rate for forum members. You can see the thread about participating in the group buy here: JRi Double Adjustable w/Remote - Group Buy

I have ordered one of these shocks after reading all of the great feedback - Thanks for the posts

I found Tige from Jri totally awesome with all the questions etc to get the set up spot on - that was on the 3 rd of September 2015

This forum is here for everyone to discuss products service etc .. unfortunately my experience with Jri went from excellent to very poor with after sales service - E-mails back and forth to seal the deal but once purchased I still to this date 13 days later have not even been able to get a confirmation that the shock has even left the factory for Australia - - Very poor after spending $1400 after exchange rates etc...

I normally would not post negative stuff but at the time of sale I was clearly told the shock would be sent real quick - but like I said not even a confirmation docket of purchase e-mailed nor any confirmation that the shock has been sent -

Don't get me wrong the product is no doubt a winner but just posting my experience of poor after sales information and service Cheers

ArkansasDave

Mine didn't ship out for 3 weeks and I live in America. The shocks gotta be built first they don't keep built shocks laying around.

Treachery

Country flag
I feel your pain. I've ordered from the EU to the US and had similar delays, and that's on stock items. I'm sure the shock will be worth it.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I have ordered one of these shocks after reading all of the great feedback - Thanks for the posts

I found Tige from Jri totally awesome with all the questions etc to get the set up spot on - that was on the 3 rd of September 2015

This forum is here for everyone to discuss products service etc .. unfortunately my experience with Jri went from excellent to very poor with after sales service - E-mails back and forth to seal the deal but once purchased I still to this date 13 days later have not even been able to get a confirmation that the shock has even left the factory for Australia - - Very poor after spending $1400 after exchange rates etc...

I normally would not post negative stuff but at the time of sale I was clearly told the shock would be sent real quick - but like I said not even a confirmation docket of purchase e-mailed nor any confirmation that the shock has been sent -

Don't get me wrong the product is no doubt a winner but just posting my experience of poor after sales information and service Cheers

Part of that is you caught them right at a Holiday Weekend for us in the US (Labor Day) and then they all headed off for NJ for the MotoAmerica race series... so they shop was basically a ghostown for a bit there. Tige just got back into the office today, and is seriously backlogged with emails and voicemails. I did manage to talk to him briefly today. Things went well for them while they were out, but now he's gotta play catchup. Luckily the group buy order is right there at the top for production. Unlucky for you, it also means you are in line behind my group buy order if you got your order in 13 days ago... ;) I can pretty much guarantee you don't have a confirmation that the shock has been mailed out yet, because it will not have been manufactured yet. They make 'em to order, and orders are fulfilled on a first in, first out, basis. Normally their manufacturing is out 2 to 3 weeks, but right now things got all wonky with production. Such is the busy season.

I did order some extra shocks to have on hand and in stock. So, once I have them in hand, I would be able to ship shocks out promptly. I'll then order replacement inventory, and if I start to sell some before my replacements arrive and I run out and can't ship any until my stock is resupplied, I'll have to up the number I keep on hand. I also ordered an assortment of springs, so I can have them on hand based on rider needs. That doesn't help YOU, but it would for others that come after.