Missed shift in 3rd

Cornfish

The issue is probably me and not the bike, but has anyone experienced not engaging third gear? It seems to happen when the bike is warm, like a couple hours into a day of riding, and when I am going through the gears quickly. I've never not had the bike smoothly shift into 2, 4-5-6, and downshifting is a piece of cake in all 6 gears. I have started focusing on being very deliberate in my toe kick into third and that is helping, and I think my timing is off a bit, but it feels like the throw is slightly longer getting into 3rd.

I don't think anything is wrong with the bike, just a quirk I need to learn proper technique to deal with. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Wa2fst

Country flag
My bike has done this and in other gears. I think i will have it fixed with the shift detent that commonwealth sales..seems others have solved their mis shifts and false neutrals

Edwardp33

Country flag
Please, tell me more about this shift detent. My bike frequently has false neutrals and doesn't consistently shift into 3rd. I can manag it by exaggerating the force when shifting, but do not feel that this should be this way.

onethump

I think I shift with a pretty light touch, i never slam the lever or anything, and have had maybe 2 times where I had a false shift where the gear indicator was blank, as in no gear selected. That was going from 1-2 I think. Other then that my bike seems to shift up and down into any gear pretty easily. No missed shifts here.

I get the same problem going from 2nd to 3rd and have to be more conscious about applying more pressure to shift. All the other shifts are fine and downshifting through the gears is fine as well. I think I'll take Wa2fst and ryandalling's advice and order that part.

Wa2fst

Country flag
I can tell you one of the cup racers was at the track with me a few weeks ago and said they all are having similar issues and it just sounds that even with a forceful foot you can experience these issues. But the detent like said above gives you better shift feeling to know uour actually in gear. Keep in mind budget bikes get budget parts.

Cornfish

Thanks, Wa2fst. I figured it was just a quirk of the bike. I am not racing, and if I was it wouldn't be for the podium so the missed shift occasionally is fine. It acts pretty much like a motorcycle so nothing to be alarmed about.

Chad's detent kit helps a lot. You still need to be deliberate with your shifts, but now you get a much better feel. When you just see the pall on the stocker compared to the new you'll be glad you changed it.

ASM

Cornfish

The issue is probably me and not the bike, but has anyone experienced not engaging third gear? It seems to happen when the bike is warm, like a couple hours into a day of riding, and when I am going through the gears quickly. I've never not had the bike smoothly shift into 2, 4-5-6, and downshifting is a piece of cake in all 6 gears. I have started focusing on being very deliberate in my toe kick into third and that is helping, and I think my timing is off a bit, but it feels like the throw is slightly longer getting into 3rd.

I don't think anything is wrong with the bike, just a quirk I need to learn proper technique to deal with. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Pretty sure I have fixed the problem. I was checking the adjustment of the shift linkage and noticed the ball joint contacts the bottom of the foot-peg when fully depressed. I was able to move the shift lever at the gear box one spline back and adjust the connecting rod so the ball joint does not touch anything (preventing a full shift) when engaged. I have put in about 300 miles since the adjustment with no false neutrals.