Mystery dead end wiring connector

commandodave

On the right side of the frame is located a two wire plug that is connected to the other end that merely loops back upon itself. From the harness, one wire is blue/purple (or blue/pink) and the other is black/yellow. The black/yellow loops back upon itself on the removable side. Does anyone know the purpose of this wire?

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/6237/YE7yrF.jpg

Last edited:

Fasteddy

Country flag
From another thread search 'combo'

FWIW,
My RC always reads about 3.4 MPH high and this corresponds to odometer readings as well, I have measured it with 'real' RADAR and LIDAR and measured miles. I apply a correction factor of 5.8% and my odometer readings work out, gas mileage makes sense etc.

It is digital not mechanical so the error is consistent at all speeds (tested with RADAR mounted on bike).

You know on all the other KTM's I have seen there is a method to change the wheel circumference on the instrument cluster. My SD990 displays the set circumference during self test even and how to correct the speed on the LC8 / LC4 can be found in the shop manuals etc.

So, awhile back when I was doing the valve re - shim I found a jumper that goes from a pink wire out of the combo instrument to ground, At the time I did not think much of it but figured I would explore it more in the future. The other day I found a shop manual for a 690 Enduro I had downloaded and was looking through it and found the procedure for adjusting wheel circumference.

CLICK !

I just removed the jumper, followed the same directions and presto! wheel circumference in MM increased by 5.8%, 1772 MM to 1874MM. My SuperDuke is set to 1870 BTW.
It of course is raining / cold here but I will re check the accuracy the first chance I get.
This leads me to further believe the speedo could be kept working easily after removing the ABS unit by using a non ABS hall effect sensor from another KTM model as I mentioned in some other thread.

HOW TO:

Remove jumper ( can be left out according to other models)
With 'TRIP 1' displayed press and hold 'MODE' button for ten seconds, wheel circumference is displayed in MM.
Press 'MODE' to increase or 'SET' to decrease (need to be quick or it will jump out of adjust mode).
Press and hold the MODE and SET buttons simultaneously to store new value.

Jumper is above the coil rearward of the steering head. (Jumpers plug has a push to release lock)

Attachment 1764

Last edited by Fasteddy; 12-13-2015 at 05:52 PM. Reason: rotate pic​
Fasteddy

commandodave

Thanks. Looks like I better leave it in, then. Too bad the inadequate owner's manual did not include a wiring diagram.