My dilemma

simpletty

Country flag
So as I am sure most of you are aware of my bike issue that took place seconds after I had installed a power commander from commonwealth. If not I will refresh, immediately upon turning on the key the engine light began to flash. Upon startup the cooling fan turned on full speed and no temp was indicated on the temp gauge. Moments before I had just been out on the bike and had a zero issue ride. Anyway the dealer took the bike away on May 17. They then decalred the next day that the coolant sensor was faulty and the side stand switch, oh yes the side stand indicator began to say side stand down even though it was up...after the third restart with the power commander installed, and it needed a side stand switch. They also declared that the bike was smoking way too much when cold and needed to be torn down to find out "the problem". This was at the odometer reading of 417 miles. i called my dealer and said maybe fix the electrical issues before the engine. Maybe it's running rich because of the temp issue. Bike had never been overheated once prior btw. So they refused and submit to ktm for a tear down, get the ok to replace the switch and temp sensor. Tear down happens and they find nothing....I am not happy but hold my tounge. Today get a call and they tell me engines back together but the electrical issues are still there. So in the meantime the power commander was returned to commonwealth where it was deemed sound. Then it was sent off to dynojet where they also confirmed it was fine. Both of those answers have me perplexed. I'm of the school of thought that when something is working perfect and an outside device is brought in, then a failure occurs the deductive reasoning points to the outside system causing that failure. According to both parties that sold/manufacture the product state it's fine to which I am still a non believer. I never disclosed the fact that I had a power commander installed on the bike to the dealer, as per advice from CJ wells at commonwealth. Now basically after waiting for over a month my bike status is back to where it was on May 17. Same electrical issues to which the dealer has no idea why. Obviously the wiring harness is fine, the sensors are new...with our powers of deduction that leaves the Ecu. I haven't got an answer on that yet but it was what I suspected for day one. I will argue with dynojet and commonwealth about this forever, but it's too suspect to me and the only thing that makes any sense, I think the power commander caused the issues. It's an argument I'll never win but it all points in that direction. I called the bike unreliable and a peice of crap but I really think I need to take it back and realize it wasn't the bikes fault it was my own for putting the power commander on it since it ran perfect without it. Long story short, I'm still without my bike and dealer has no idea what's going on. I have lost 1/3 of my riding season on it, thankfully I have other bikes, and the warranty is due to run out end of August. It's been a learning experience and plenty of frustration has happened. Once the final verdict is I from the dealer as to the failure I will update the findings. All I really want now is just to get it back so I can ride it.

stevieboy

Country flag
Has anyone broached the subject of extending your warranty for all the down time? I would certainly look into it.

simpletty

Country flag
I called the general manager of the store on weds and asked if they can do something for me, my answer was I will get back to you. There is another ktm dealer close by, I happened to be buying some parts for my r6 one day, and it was ktm demo days. I ended up speaking to the general manager of the store that day and he had said if I brought the bike to him he would have rolled me out on a new machine same day.
As far as warranty goes I purchased 4 extra years for 500$ with a 100$ deductible so I hope I'm covered. And steviboy I'll know the status of the strike tommorow. If it's happening maybe try ups and send that package as a gift, anything worth over 50$ is charged import fees and as much as I hate ups it may be the only option

stevieboy

Country flag
I seem to be getting the correct answers directly from KTM customer service. Unfortunately my next nearest dealer is more than an hour away. Ready to go. Just let me know.

Last edited:

simpletty

Country flag
lemon laws

Unfortunately here in the oil capital of Canada, that being Alberta, we have no lemon laws. If you buy a car or truck from a car dealer you have AMVIC which stands for Alberta motor vehicle inspection certification. They will go after the car dealers for your vehicles value if its deemed un-repairable or has been in for the same issues several times. As far as motorcycles go we are on our own. I"'m going into the dealer on Monday and tell them to take a ecu off a showroom bike and out it on mine because I am convinced the ECU was fried after the pcv install. If that fixes it they can throw the akra map in it and then wait for an ECU to show up for the showroom bike. If they refuse I am pulling it from them and taking it to the dealer in town. Believe me its not the bikes fault its been down this long, its dealer incompetence. From not ordering correct parts to incorrect diagnosis from day one. I think under the skin of its few blemishes there is a huge fun factor on this bike. It has made me smile on more than one occasion and I am looking forward to beating the crap out of it on our local track. The more I think about riding it the more I am falling back into love with it even though it has its issues. I have 4 years of extra warranty to take care of any new failures. I just need a dealer who can fix it right

simpletty

Country flag
So as suspected. Dealer replaced ECU with one off stock bike. All symptoms, cel cooling fan and sidestand, all go away. No explanation from anyone as to why this wasnt done on day one like I had asked them to do. Phone call to cj wells at commonwealth, he says he has no explanation as to why ecu shit bed. Seems to me that I know and nobody else will admit to it. Anyway bike should be back on the road today

simpletty

Country flag
Finally....missed three track weekends already and the next is coming up this weekend. I hope it stays together